2009 Visa Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lovenastia

Who do you guys think will make it back to the 2009 Visa Championships?

I want to plan a trip there, but I don't want to be dissapointed if Nastia and any of the others (Shayla, Shawn, etc.) won't be there either

I'm pretty sure Nastia is going...it seems like it from interviews I have seen anyways. (plus it is a home meet for her)
Not sure about Shawn or anyone else though...

I am already planning a trip to Texas for the Visa Championships! I am very excited for this event, because it is going to be the first time I will see an elite gymnastics competition in person.

I am pretty sure Nastia is going, but I doubt Shawn is going (much to my chagrin). She is busy with Dancing With the Stars and is not training gymnastics.

Nastia will be there, she has spoken about being excited about competing in her hometown.
Shawn will probably not be there, what with DWTS etc.
Rebecca Bross is out for this year I think, but Mattie Larson and Sam Shapiro will probably be there.
Shayla has signed for Georgia so I don't know about her.
Ivana is training at WOGA so she will probably be there.
Sam P. moved to Bridget's gym so I think they will both be there.

Hope this helped!!

Any recent updates about the VISA champs? They'll decide the Nat'l Teams there, right? And then 'Worlds' will be coming up in Fall, correct?

Just wondering. It's being held near our town, but I am not sure if we are going, which is silly, since we are only 20 minutes away from the venue! But since dd is no longer in artistic, she doesn't really care if she goes or not, and it costs so much!

We may look into the T&T sessions, though. Wonder if those are cheaper? :cool:

With a bit of luck, I may be competing in the Visa Cup this year. I'm already signed up for the National Qualifier next month, and if I do well enough there I'll be competing at Visa.

Shawn won't be there, she is still doing the hollywood thing. 2 months is not long enough to get into elite gymnastics shape again especially when you have to adjust to a new body. Given the recent comments from Shawn in the media, it seems unlikely she will return.

Rebecca Bross has been at camp so you may well see her.

Shayla may well turn up, may be after the team training $$ as her college eligibility is being questioned.

msl529 they do choose the national team at nationals. Lately they just add who ever they want, when they want. Worlds are two months after nationals. Try buying tickets through a club, I have heard it's much cheaper that way.

Best wishes Geoffrey in qualifying to championships!

they don't "add who ever they want, when they want".

championships is the first step. by then, they will have decided how many they will place on the junior and senior team. this can change from year to year.

then, post championships, and throughout the season, they/marta have 'verification' at camp. verification is where, by your/coaches choice, you compete on hard surface and the full complement of judges are there for evaluation.

this is done so that in case of other injured athletes, and where they don't have a gymnast to represent the USA in a meet, they have an athlete that has passed muster at verification. this process ensures a qualified athlete.

and to geoffrey, good luck. i will see you at the qualifier. i already have 1 going to championships. he will be there to practice. i sincerely hope you make it.

Why would Sam P. move gyms at this point and when did she do it?

I don't know all the details, but she moved gyms right after the Olympics because her coach moved somewhere...I don't remember where.
So now she is training at Sharp's Gymnastics with Bridget Sloan and Bridget's coach.

Sam moved to Sharp's because her coach moved back to China to run his family's business.

There will be lots of great gymnasts at championships- the year after the olympics is very exciting as there are lots of new faces and the new "Star" will emerge. The junior competitions are in the afternoon and are lots of fun- you'll see some great gymnastics and look at the future. I think Nastia is planning on doing beam & bars. Shawn & Nastia will definitly be around at least to do promos/ autographs for USAG!

I know the tickets are expensive, but if you get the meet package its not bad. I used to just get the premium or 2nd most expensive seats, this year I am trying 3rd most expensive, but the seats still look pretty good! :D (I hope!)

Shayla is having no issues w/ her elligibility, she just has to catch up on some classes like every other elite gymnast.

Sam moved to Sharp's because her coach moved back to China to run his family's business.

There will be lots of great gymnasts at championships- the year after the olympics is very exciting as there are lots of new faces and the new "Star" will emerge. The junior competitions are in the afternoon and are lots of fun- you'll see some great gymnastics and look at the future. I think Nastia is planning on doing beam & bars. Shawn & Nastia will definitly be around at least to do promos/ autographs for USAG!

I know the tickets are expensive, but if you get the meet package its not bad. I used to just get the premium or 2nd most expensive seats, this year I am trying 3rd most expensive, but the seats still look pretty good! :D (I hope!)

Shayla is having no issues w/ her elligibility, she just has to catch up on some classes like every other elite gymnast.

peter did not move back to china to run the family business. he is still in indianapolis and travels back and forth in the family business. he retired from coaching but initially used the "family business" to step down gracefully. he was burnt out.:);)

sam went over to marvin shortly after the OG. there was no reason to move and she has verballed. it's on the usag site.:)

shayla is having eligibility concerns that have nothing to do with classes and the clearing house. ncaa meetings start today. this should be cleared up by weeks end. shayla will be attending georgia.:):)

Thanks all.

In all honesty, my odds are probably pretty slim of making it this year, since I'm only competing two events.

But we'll see how it goes!

I hope to Nastia and Shawn there too, but I doubt it if Shawn makes it back.

Why would Sam P. move gyms at this point and when did she do it?

I believe her coach retired/moved back to China? Something like that. It has to do with her coach no longer wanting to invest the time in elite, or perhaps in gymnastics as a whole. I'm glad Bridget has a new trainingmate!

Nastia Will be there for sure... As for shawn i am really not sure she might might not. Id go if i were you though it would be a great expierence ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back