2016 Women's Artistic Gymnastics Olympic Team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
There you have it folks, the Olympic team (after much anticipation and suspense)!
  1. Simone Biles
  2. Gabrielle Douglas
  3. Lauren Hernandez
  4. Madison Kocian
  5. Alexandra Raisman
Alternates:
  1. Mykayla Skinner
  2. Ragan Smith
  3. Ashton Locklear

Thoughts?!

My thoughts, no surprises here..... Knew this long before today.....

I think we just watched 2 nights of competition that had no effect on the who made this team whatsoever.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Why bother having the Olympic trials? I do like Gabby a lot in general, but I think at trials, you really need to bring it. And it makes me sad for the girls who were ranked 4th through 6th.

But still wasn't at all surprised at the selection. Even the announcers had the team picked before comp was even over.

The announcement kind of made me wonder why they even bothered to have a trials? ;). Maybe for the meet revenue? Haha.

So we're gonna take our 7th place AA girl over our 4, 5 and 6th place girls - cause she's good at bars, but then our second best bars girl (by .2) isn't on the team (maybe cause she fell on beam, but probably more because she never had a shot to begin with since she's not an AA-er (because Madison and Gabby also fell on beam and still made the team)).

Then Mikalya has an amazing night both nights but she's not on the team either - I'd personally feel a little "led on" if I was her. Maybe to a certain extent if I was Ashton too, but perhaps she knew all along that she was only there to earn the alternate spot. Who knows.

So happy for Laurie - I hope she gets to do AA in qualifications so she can get that 2nd US spot in the AA finals.

They should have shown at least one routine from every athlete there! It's the Olympic trials, they made it that far. Give the athletes their due. I also feel bad for Maggie, she was the only featured athlete not to make it.

I was also yelling at Tim to stop saying Little Reagan.

I'm disappointed that Gabby is on the team. I don't think she earned it and I think a lot more than her gymnastics went into that decision. I was holding out hope for Ragan until the very end, especially with Gabby's second fall of the meet, but deep down I knew they'd pick Gabby. If they "really need her on bars" and thats all they're taking her for, why not take Ashton? Or let Simone do bars and give the last spot to an AA'er who earned it (I would have been happy to see Mykayla, Maggie or Ragan) . Sad to see Maggie not get an alternate spot.

So bummed that gabby is on, but mckayla is not......I wanted Ragan to be picked so badly, but I knew she wouldn't be........
So bummed about gabby......I also was hoping gabbys mom would punch elfie after 'interviewing' her after gabby fell.......while plenty of other gymnastics was going on......clapping and music, but NOOOOOO we had to listen to a stupid conversation with gabbys mom?????
I really hate NBC coverage. It stinks......and I'm so bummed about gabby.

So bummed that gabby is on, but mckayla is not......I wanted Ragan to be picked so badly, but I knew she wouldn't be........
So bummed about gabby......I also was hoping gabbys mom would punch elfie after 'interviewing' her after gabby fell.......while plenty of other gymnastics was going on......clapping and music, but NOOOOOO we had to listen to a stupid conversation with gabbys mom?????
They are really horrible. Embarrassingly bad.

I am so happy for Madison. I've really liked her for a very long time, standing out to me as a great bar technician, but also really enjoying her artistry. Over the years of watching her, it's amazing to see her make the Olympic team. Seeing her face out there on the floor, so happy. :)

The highlight of the trials for me was seeing the battle between Madison and Ashton and how close it was. Insane! Also, I really loved seeing Laurie make the team, too. I live in New Jersey, and I had the opportunity to meet her at her gym not too long ago, and was able to talk to her for about 20 minutes. She had just finished working birthday parties, and I spoke with her and her mom. It was awesome. Now I can say I met an Olympian, and I have a Jersey girl to route for!!!

But it will effect the line-up at the games. I have to say, I was rooting for Gabby but do not feel she deserved a spot in the team.
How will it effect the lineups? Per Marta's post meet interview, those haven't been decided (not that I'd expect her to divulge now). It just seems that certain decisions won't be made until they see how they're performing in camp and podium practices in Rio leading up to the games.

Yeah - like what the heck was that w/ the Gabby's mom interview??? I think I would have said "are you seriously trying to interview me right now?" if someone tried to interview me like that - lol - and her incredible composure in that situation either tells me it was planned ahead of time that there would be an interview coming, or that her and Gabby had a strong assurance ahead of time that Gabby is on the team no matter what. And why is she even worthy of an interview in the middle of the trials to begin with? - cause she's a reality TV star?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back