2016 Women's Artistic Gymnastics Olympic Team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The team is chosen. I wish people would just support the team and cheer team USA. If they were chosen they deserved to be there. In 2012 I thought Elizabeth Price should have been on the team and she came in 4th at trials. People weren't in an uproar then so I don't see what the big deal is. Obviously Marta knows what she is doing. They won gold.

The team is chosen. I wish people would just support the team and cheer team USA. If they were chosen they deserved to be there. In 2012 I thought Elizabeth Price should have been on the team and she came in 4th at trials. People weren't in an uproar then so I don't see what the big deal is. Obviously Marta knows what she is doing. They won gold.
My husband still gets upset when he thinks about that. Elizabeth Price is amazing.

This is one of the very few places people who are obsessed with gymnastics can hash out and over-analyze. I don't think that means for a second that we don't support the team and won't cheer them on. I personally love reading all the opinions. CB is one of the few places in my life where people are more educated about the gymnastics system than me. On Facebook most people thought MY dd was going to compete in the trials when we went to San Jose. [emoji23]. I'm sure her mill circle would have scored well. [emoji23][emoji23]. Let us have the space to discuss without reprimanding. In a few weeks it will all be over.

I'm not sure how the process works for alternates on the Women's side, the Men's side are all going to Rio (Donnell and Modi, Leyva replacing Orozco). Someone else mentioned that they'll be at the Ranch instead of Rio and I was curious as to why they don't travel as well. Some are speculating it's because the time difference isn't a lot (2 hours) and there are direct flights out of Houston. I hope you're right and they do get to go :)

I was wondering about this too. Thought it was strange that she wasn't there. Are you guys talking about the interview where she talked about not being able to smile and being told she needed to be smaller? Also, she was in the Made in America video on the USAG youtube page so I figured any negative emotions on either sides was squashed until I saw she wasn't at the parade of Olympians... but, who knows maybe it was just a scheduling conflict.
It was the GymCastic interview from earlier this year (February maybe?). I'm sure that out of the many people they would have wanted there, some certainly would have had conflicts. I'd have to guess for McKayla it was more than that, but who knows?

Reactions: sce
This is one of the very few places people who are obsessed with gymnastics can hash out and over-analyze. I don't think that means for a second that we don't support the team and won't cheer them on. I personally love reading all the opinions. CB is one of the few places in my life where people are more educated about the gymnastics system than me. On Facebook most people thought MY dd was going to compete in the trials when we went to San Jose.
emoji23.png
. I'm sure her mill circle would have scored well.
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
. Let us have the space to discuss without reprimanding. In a few weeks it will all be over.
Agreed. Those that wish the team would have been chosen differently should be allowed to vent about that. BUT those of us who are tired of reading negative things about the chosen team members should also be allowed to vent about that. Sound fair?

Agreed. Those that wish the team would have been chosen differently should be allowed to vent about that. BUT those of us who are tired of reading negative things about the chosen team members should also be allowed to vent about that. Sound fair?

That would be the whole point of forums. ;) Well said.

Or just keep scrolling?
Oh, have used the keep scrolling mantra thousands of times on chalk bucket over the years. But I have a really hard time not saying something when I read criticism of these girls. The amount of hard work, dedication, blood, sweat, tears, sacrifice that goes into being an elite gymnast is almost beyond measure. It is almost a visceral reaction for me to want to defend these athletes like a mama bear, even when they make mistakes.

Oh, have used the keep scrolling mantra thousands of times on chalk bucket over the years. But I have a really hard time not saying something when I read criticism of these girls. The amount of hard work, dedication, blood, sweat, tears, sacrifice that goes into being an elite gymnast is almost beyond measure. It is almost a visceral reaction for me to want to defend these athletes like a mama bear, even when they make mistakes.

I think we can all relate to the mama bear syndrome. [emoji4]

I hear you there, but I don't think anyone has been overly rude or derogatory against an individual gymnast, but more so discussing and wanting to understand the process. Early on there was some Gabby hate, but it seems to have died down. Now, I employ the scroll method often, so I may have missed something, but the last several posts didn't seem to be that way. I just want everyone to stay healthy and have a great meet.

I hear you there, but I don't think anyone has been overly rude or derogatory against an individual gymnast, but more so discussing and wanting to understand the process. Early on there was some Gabby hate, but it seems to have died down. Now, I employ the scroll method often, so I may have missed something, but the last several posts didn't seem to be that way. I just want everyone to stay healthy and have a great meet.
Yes, the Gabby hate seems to have by and large evolved into NBC hate, which is something I don't think ANYONE has an issue with!

Ahhhh, I love all this over analyzing and guessing! It's what makes CB fun! My husband would send me to the looney bin if he heard any of this!!!

I think everyone just had a bit too much of gabbys RBF......other than that, she certainly has proven herself worthy of the US team. These are young girls, and they make stupid mistakes like MaKayla....I wish she had been better guided.....my kid would have been in deep doo doo had they been anything less than supportive and grateful after the team selection......plus, what if, God forbid, someone gets injured and she gets called upon??? Uncomfortableeeeeee!
But in a few days, after all the analysis, (Daggett style) is done, and we are all tired of discussing wether Maroney was dissed or not......we will all be 100% supporting all the girls!
My guess is Maroney was too busy living her life and perhaps couldn't make it for a good reason.....after all, she is practically the best vaulter the US has ever had!
I am praying these girls make it through the next few weeks with health, both physically and mentally......I hope Marta's halo and wings are in full use, vs. her pitchfork......after all, these are incredible ladies.....GOOOOOO USA!!!!

I may have missed some posts, but I agree we should support the team. If it will help anyone feel better, we were told from the beginning that they were looking at results from P&Gs AND the Trials. As it turns out, all 5 of the girls that made the team were the same that were top 5 when you combine the scores from both events (all 4 days).

And Maggie has since admitted that she was competing through pain (couldn't even compete 2 events at P&Gs). I do applaud what she was able to accomplish, but even if she made the team, she might have had to pull out during training camp (possibly injuring herself out of being able to compete at Oklahoma this coming season). I would rather her rest and FULLY recover than to have her try to push it and permanently injure herself.

This is exactly the kind of information/analysis the terrible trio on NBC should have provided rather than the non-stop blathering on they did about stuff that didn't matter or was just blatently incorrect. Maybe they could have avoided the outrage and backlash over the past few days if they'd actually done a proper job. Because, you know -- math works. o_O
Actually… at P&Gs, they DID tell us that "This is the start of the Olympic Team Selection Process" and that the committee would look at both. And they had been doing that for the Kocian / Locklear battle during Trials too… but adding in the Secret Classic.

Actually… at P&Gs, they DID tell us that "This is the start of the Olympic Team Selection Process" and that the committee would look at both. And they had been doing that for the Kocian / Locklear battle during Trials too… but adding in the Secret Classic.
Yep, I knew that all along. It's in the documentation on the selection process provided by USAG. What they didn't do properly IMO was have the AA totals for all 4 days of the relevant competitions. They did a bit of analysis of Ashton/Madison, but that wasn't the part that was confusing and almost no one has discussed that selection at all.

I am totally not angry with Gabby, I never said that once.

I am totally peeved with the fact that the team was clearly pre determined and trials really had nothing to do with the selection process.

I went to Canadian trials and watched the process there. The two trials are worlds apart.

The NBC broadcast was not about 14 girls vying for a place on the team, it was about the team vying for a place on the team they were already on.

That is what gets to me.

I think when the team is basically a known thing that going through this three ring circus is a farce. Brutal for the gymnasts, unnecessarily so.

Frankly I think trials was all about the $$$$, not about the team.

Well, I was referring to the things being retweeted when I meant anger being misplaced. I was more jumping off your post than replying to it, I guess. However, I don't agree about the team being predetermined or about money, at least not in the same sense I think you mean. I think it was pretty predetermined from P and G's and then when Gabby hit bars at Trials. Unfortunately on the five woman team I don't think there's a lot of room for someone who only trains two events. I think if we could take 7-8 gymnasts there would be a spot for Ashton, and Ragan and/or Mykayla too. 3 up 3 count makes it hard. Gabby is the most well rounded gymnast for the fifth spot.

Maggie was nothing short of brilliant at Trials but I'm not sure she could have made it through the O's at this breakneck pace and heartbreakingly I think that's why the selection committee didn't really consider her. At the same time I don't think any of the names in the mix really had no chance - they had a chance if someone more pivotal got injured and things can change quickly. It was a small but significant enough chance for Maggie and the alternates. The next tier down then had a chance at alternate status.

Mykayla and Ragan did not perform better than Gabby with all 16 routines considered. Ashton only does two events. Personally I think the selection committee did what was completely predictable and I don't really disagree with it. I think the question comes from whether you believe Gabby always had a spot or if she just got what was essentially the fifth spot. I believe the latter so it doesn't really surprise me.

That said, I would not disagree with them doing something more like USAG MAG did and not have so many big events so close together. I don't know enough about the Canadian trials process to know the differences, but would be interested in hearing about it.

Maggie was nothing short of brilliant at Trials but I'm not sure she could have made it through the O's at this breakneck pace and heartbreakingly I think that's why the selection committee didn't really consider her. At the same time I don't think any of the names in the mix really had no chance - they had a chance if someone more pivotal got injured and things can change quickly. It was a small but significant enough chance for Maggie and the alternates. The next tier down then had a chance at alternate status.

Mykayla and Ragan did not perform better than Gabby with all 16 routines considered. Ashton only does two events. Personally I think the selection committee did what was completely predictable and I don't really disagree with it. I think the question comes from whether you believe Gabby always had a spot or if she just got what was essentially the fifth spot. I believe the latter so it doesn't really surprise me.

That said, I would not disagree with them doing something more like USAG MAG did and not have so many big events so close together. I don't know enough about the Canadian trials process to know the differences, but would be interested in hearing about it.

Totally agree about Maggie, she performed beautifully both nights. To come back from that injury in 6 weeks is nothing short of incredible, but I also feel that she would get reinjured in the push to the games. She will shine in NCAA gym.

In the end the team is the team and everyone will be behind them and will cheer them on. It is always heartbreaking to watch your favourites fall by the way side and see your less favourites move forward. Such is life as a gym fan.

As to Canadian trials, firstly they use a very clear points system. I will see if I can find the document that details it. Then they have generally (this is really on the second time in many years that we have qualified a full WAG team) had a two day meet to determine the spots after the points are factored in. Very low key, maybe 200 spectators in a gym. Two obvious team members were announced on the spot and the others were announced the next day on the internet by Kyle Shewfelt.

Also Canada has no centralised training system, girls train in their own gyms and sometimes before the elite meets they might have a few days training. So really coaches are on their own in the process.

I like the idea of a points system. For the US Men they are automatic if they get certain placements. That at least give the athletes a chance to control their opportunities.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back