WAG 2021-2029 Compulsory Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The L3 music reminds me of "Hansel and Gretel" for some reason...

It always made me think of a renaissance faire. And the first time I heard the "violin" version with that horrible long note held over the melody, I thought there was some sort of audio malfunction and was very impressed that the little gymmie just kept going as if nothing had happened. Then when the same thing happened to the next kid on her team I realized that the awful screeching noise was supposed to be there.

Actually... this bothers me a ton. Can any of the dance masters out there put some logic into this one? To me... this is just junk.

The arms in crown thing doesn't make any sense to me. In ballet, the pirouette is taught with the arms in first position (belly button level).

I find the proposed level 3 front hip circle directly after the back hip circles to be interesting. Seems like it would need an awkward pause between the skills. I'll have to see how it plays out.
One of the girls at our gym did this exact routine in Xcel silver (she was a level 4 who lost her back handspring due to a mental block so she had to back up to silver) anyways it sounds weird but it actually looks very beautiful and when it’s done correctly.

I also wonder if they took some of the XCEL standards and ‘changed’ the JO standards but in reality they are exactly the same. Like copied and pasted from XCEL to JO equivalent.
When DD1 did XS, she vaulted onto the vault table and did a handstand flat back to stacked mats, this was 2016-2017. DD2 did XS last season and it had changed to the sideways stacked mat. I thought it was bizarre but it really helped her transition to the vault table this season.
Do XCEL and JO change in the same years? I know that the JO routines have been the same since DD1 was L2, that was 2015. The XCEL standards have changed sometime between 2017 and 2019 because I have had 2 kids go thru XS and at least the bar and vault routines changed. My DD2 competed the routine with the squat on stretch jump dismount. DD1 did not have that at all.
I also wonder if coaches had access to what the new routines would be and went ahead and made the XCEL routines exactly like what the new JO equivalent would be. However, the sideways mats were always the standard XS vault at meets for all teams so that has me thinking that they are literally copying and pasting from XCEL.
No, not so. Because Xcel changes every 4 years and compulsory changes every 8 years, the new compulsories were already in the works when Xcel was changing. So Xcel just went ahead and implemented the new things like the turned mat for silver vault. Then it looks like compulsories are copying Xcel, but it’s actually the opposite.

I bet videos will start to appear on the interwebs this week. I just left Reno (2nd of the compulsory master workshops). They were very strict about (not) filming during the workshops. Level 3-5 floor music is jazzy; level 2 sounds like some sort of fairy tale thing; honestly, I didn’t even pay attention to level 1. Level
4 and 5 floor will be challenging to teach; 3 is simpler but still fast.I like the bar and vault changes. All the step, kick horizontal entries into skills are *gone.* 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back