Parents 2021 season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ty’s Dad

Proud Parent
Since Covid cases are on the rise, is anyone still having a season? We just received our schedule yesterday, has a bunch of in house meets and three (1 is optional) out of state

I feel real bad for the seniors. How’s your son holding up and how’s recruiting going with all the Covid

He is doing well, all things considered. Working hard, and talking to coaches. With men's gymnastics being cut so many places, and roster spots being cut in others, it is tough. He has some options, but not quite ready to decide yet. He has a good attitude overall, though. Probably better than me most days, honestly :) Thanks for asking!

Well, things can change of course.. but we are still planning on a season as of right now. 5 regular season meets, 3 out of state and 2 in state. We are in region 8 and all our meets are in states that aren't too likely to shut down.

Another R8 here. Full meet schedule but all within driving distance. No flights (unless we count regionals for 10's which is pretty far from us. Our state has cases rising, but not yet out of control. We have stayed fairly stable throughout this entire pandemic. Hospitalizations are stable and one of three states where they are not rising. Of course I say that all while knocking wood, crossing fingers, saying all the prayers and spraying lysol. lol. My DD said she is not confident there will be a season, but is training as if it will happen. I honestly think that the way that things are going it will be hard to predict what things will look like in two weeks much less in Jan! Fingers crossed people freaking cover their mouths and noses and do the right thing so that we can have nice things!

At this point, we are slated for 6 meets. 2 in-house meeets. 3 meets within the state, all 2 hours or less driving distance. 1 out of state meet but still within driving distance between this weekend and state meets in late March. First out of town meet is in December and we haven’t received any guidance yet as to how the meet will be structured and if spectators will be limited or not. I do know that our state has pretty tight guidelines for HS and college sports when it comes to spectators (basically 2 per kid) and our cases are rising exponentially, so there’s still a lot of unknowns. I do know that some have already advised that they are extending their meet dates out to include Friday and Monday when typically the meets can be done in 2 days. Our in-house meets are closed to spectators inside. They will have live feeds streaming via an online platform and will have projector screens showing each event outside of the gym (think drive-in movie style viewing). We can either watch from home or sit in the parking lot.

We have 6 scheduled I believe. 2 in State 2 in a neighboring state (driving distance) 1 in house, and States. Looking at meetscores online there are not many meets scheduled in our state thats why I think we are going out of state for 2 meets. I am not at all counting on any of them happening though things just change so rapidly its hard to say what things will looklike come February/March when most of our meets are. Our gym holds a big meet annually its on the schedule but not sure if our states guidlines will allow it to go on as it has in years past. I really hope thats not to big a financial hit for our gym.

Region 7 here. We will have 4 virtual meets (each team compete in their own gym; spectators and judges watch streamlined from home); one virtual or hybrid (not sure what hybrid looks like . . . decision to be made closer to event); one in person local; and then we will see what they decide on for states. I know there is a meeting later this month to discuss options.

My DDs season was cancelled this week (D3 northeast US). The schools her college team competes against are all from different conferences and most of the other conferences had already cancelled their winter sports. They were all hoping there would be one or two teams close by to have at least a meet or two but it's not going to happen. DDs team will train 4 days a week instead of 5. She's just looking forward to moving and being able to train with her new teammates (and being coached by her new coach!). It's been a struggle this semester having to continue training at her club gym.

Region 4, season is being planned. Most in state, one a 4 hour drive away in a neighboring state. All travel meets were canceled except for the elites, who have to travel for qualifiers. First meet is scheduled for early December.

NY, we have our mock meet this weekend. Our gym fundraiser in December. Nothing on deck after that.

Region 5 here. Our gym has not said anything about a schedule, although friends whose daughters are in nearby gyms have their schedules, so meets are indeed being put out there.

I am holding off on paying the USAG membership fee until I learn whether or not there will be sanctioned meets. DD17 is a senior so this is very disappointing. Glad we are all currently healthy and hoping we stay that way.

R5 here as well. Our gym is planning three or four in-state meets. First meet is in February, which is much later than usual. A large meet held every year in December was just canceled. Not very confident that the season will happen.

As of November 13, 2020 @ 11:07 am, we ARE having a meet season.
What we know as of today, November 13th:

We are still allowed to practice in our smaller practice pods as we have been doing since September.

We will be entering our team and individuals into the District Roster. You will need to register your gymnast for the District Registration. The registration fee is $15. This will allow our team to compete in meets in the district. Due to a number of YMCAs across the state no longer offering gymnastics, there has been discussion about reorganizing the districts. At this time, we will be staying with our district.

We are unable to host typical meets this season due to the capacity restrictions at our location.

We are working on final details for an exhibition/mock meet for our team. This will be optional. This may be cancelled based on state and local COVID guidelines. This is tentatively scheduled for December 5th as this is the only day we have a judge available. The sessions will be small (think less than 10) and we may only be able to have 1 observer per participant. This will be a way for our gymnasts to get a score from a certified judge and get recommendations on what to work on.

We are working on getting into regular season meets that will begin mid-January. There are limited number of gyms able to hold meets, and a limited number of spots available. We may have meets where only certain levels are able to attend. The goal is to offer two meets prior to the championship meet slated to occur in mid-April. We will have a better idea of the meets we will be able to attend once every team submits their numbers to the district this weekend.

We will be ordering competition leotards. They will not be required. We will be using the same leotards as in years past. I will have team packets available Monday, November 16th.

Everything is subject to change. We are being asked to comply with all USA Gymnastics, OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association), NFHS (National Federation of High School Sports, CDC, state of Ohio, and the County Health Department regulations. New information is being received daily.

We have an incredible group of young ladies, coaches, and families who are complying with all guidelines and are eager to get back to some sense of normalcy. I appreciate your patience, understanding, and support as we try to provide these opportunities for everyone

We are Region 1 and so far are planning on a season. Two out of state ( driving distance ) 3 in-state plus Regionals which is not drivable.. Fingers crossed at this point because honestly you never know what can happen by January. Fingers crossed we can get cases back under control!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back