Parents 2021 season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are only having in-house meets this season (5 total). None of the parents wanted to risk exposure and it’s less expensive this way, especially if things have to be cancelled again.

And I’m good with that. The less travel the better right now, IMO, and hopefully next season will be more normal.

We are in Iowa. We have a schedule, 4 in state and one out of state. However, the mock meet and first official meet were just canceled. Earlier this week gyms were closed for 24 hours before our governor specified they could be open for practice, just no events could be held.

Our hospitals are full and our positivity rate was 40% yesterday. Gym is only requiring masks during stretching and when they can't social distance. So....we just made a decision to take a few weeks off and will reevaluate in mid December. Sucks for a lot of reasons. :( If things don't change here we won't be leaving our houses, let alone having gymnastics meets.

We are in Iowa. We have a schedule, 4 in state and one out of state. However, the mock meet and first official meet were just canceled. Earlier this week gyms were closed for 24 hours before our governor specified they could be open for practice, just no events could be held.

Our hospitals are full and our positivity rate was 40% yesterday. Gym is only requiring masks during stretching and when they can't social distance. So....we just made a decision to take a few weeks off and will reevaluate in mid December. Sucks for a lot of reasons. :( If things don't change here we won't be leaving our houses, let alone having gymnastics meets.

Sounds like a sensible decision, even if it is a sad one. When hospitals are full it stops being just about the covid and starts also being about any other activity that carries significant risk. We have all judged the background risk that comes with gymnastics as acceptable. But it is less acceptable, I think, when there is a chance of not being able to recieve medical care if something goes wrong because hospitals are full, staff are exhausted and overstretched, or even worse, staff are working while ill as they are now in some states.

Region 7 here...even with many precautions put in place, our gym had a COVID outbreak in early Nov (athletes/coaches). It felt like it was just a matter of time. We're on a gym break for a few weeks with Zoom practices in full-swing. Last we heard they were considering different options for athletes based on their preference (in-house and/or within 2 hrs). Cases are ramping up here and we're all holding our breath regarding the gym opening back up after the holiday. Kids don't love the Zoom practices : )

I wish they would just call our season off here. It feels like a waste of time to spend so much time training routines that will probably not happen. The only thing I care about is the gym staying open so they can train. Meets seem silly at this point and I'd rather they work on uptraining vs practicing routines over and over for meets that will be canceled.

I wish they would just call our season off here. It feels like a waste of time to spend so much time training routines that will probably not happen. The only thing I care about is the gym staying open so they can train. Meets seem silly at this point and I'd rather they work on uptraining vs practicing routines over and over for meets that will be canceled.
I agree! Right now the constant question about meets? No meets? Meets? Which ones? etc is getting exhausting and distracting. I hope there are ways by now to really showcase level 10s to colleges as desired etc. but I'd rather they just call it and do their best to train safely. I'm getting super nervous about traveling anywhere for meets.

R7 here, virtual meets are planned and they were originally thinking of going hybrid before the numbers spiked. Are no other areas doing virtual meets? I’m hoping as long as the meets are virtual, they won’t get canceled even with these higher numbers.

R7 here, virtual meets are planned and they were originally thinking of going hybrid before the numbers spiked. Are no other areas doing virtual meets? I’m hoping as long as the meets are virtual, they won’t get canceled even with these higher numbers.
Our gym tested out a virtual meet platform and my gymnast was one of the guinea pigs so I got to download the app and see what it was like. Our gym ( region 5) is thinking of hosting a virtual meet...eventually.

Talk here is about shifting to virtual meets. I hope that's what we do. Everyone in NY is pretty much planning on staying in state this season anyway. My gymnasts are well aware that every time they go to practice, it could be the last time for a while. (DD won't compete here this year anyway -- she has been working out here at home, but it's not looking like her college club team will be able to do anything in the spring.)

Reactions: cmg
I highly doubt Texas will close down at all again, without a 4-alarm emergency happening. They are already planning to push back the Rodeo until May and have it this year. The compulsory season already happened.

Talk here is about shifting to virtual meets. I hope that's what we do. Everyone in NY is pretty much planning on staying in state this season anyway. My gymnasts are well aware that every time they go to practice, it could be the last time for a while. (DD won't compete here this year anyway -- she has been working out here at home, but it's not looking like her college club team will be able to do anything in the spring.)

My new worry is that gyms in NY will shut down. If so, I doubt my DD's college team will still train on campus. Gyms in my state have been closed for a few weeks and may reopen in time for her to get a week of training in before she needs to quarantine before leaving for school. I'm hoping for the best for her but I can see where she may be out of the gym for a few more months. :(

I highly doubt Texas will close down at all again, without a 4-alarm emergency happening. They are already planning to push back the Rodeo until May and have it this year. The compulsory season already happened.
What would be a 4-alarm emergency for you all? Our county exec indicates that as bad as things are here now, January will be worse, bringing a lot of additional deaths.

Texas’s Governor has said he is not going to order another shut down. Restaurants are at reduced capacity. Bars in some counties ( including Harris county which is the Houston area) have not reopened since March. Some bars are serving food so they can call themselves restaurants. Bars in some counties were open but are now closed but that is the extent of the changes.

What would be a 4-alarm emergency for you all? Our county exec indicates that as bad as things are here now, January will be worse, bringing a lot of additional deaths.
Since single-day Covid daily deaths have now surpassed the tragedy that was 9/11, I hope that everywhere in the country is treating this as four alarm. I suspect they are not and some states will be full barrel ahead with full in-person seasons.

Those statistics are very, very scary! I am assuming that many people in countries like the US where this has been going on for so long are experiencing lock down fatigue now.

It must be very, very hard to keep it up for so long. I don’t know how people could cope financially too.

People around here complain that 2020 has been a hard hear. But we have not had a single case of COVID caught in our state in 5 months. Most restrictions have been lifted for the last 6 1/2 months.

We have not had a single COVID death for 8 months. It’s Summer now and we came through the whole flu season with zero COVID deaths and also zero deaths from flu for the first time in history.

My sister lives in a country where no one has gone to school since February! I can’t imagine how people are coping with these lockdowns that have gone almost a year! There must be such a rise in mental health issues.

Florida is having its season as normal. The extent of restrictions for our meets has been 3 adults max per gymnast “but well make exceptions” at the most conservative meet

@Aussie_coach there is fatigue- but also, the US has never had a real lockdown like some other countries have done. I haven’t gone anywhere except the doctor for almost 9 months, but during that time there is so much I could’ve done if I were so inclined. Our local hospital is at 97% capacity, but just a week ago I could’ve gone for drinks at a bar with my fiends, or went on a shopping spree at one of the biggest malls in the country. Had we just totally locked down for a while in the first place, we wouldn’t be where we are now in an unending struggle. In my opinion, of course.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back