WAG 2021 World Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But if she is ready, and one of the top...she should go.....age should not matter.
It’s not ageism to think about your future. Chellsie has had a lot of opportunities. Can Chellsie commit to staying for Paris?

The Olympics are in three years. On the OGM team podium I know Britain had two 16 year old twins. And Russia had two 16 year olds.

This means these young talented girls already have significant experience and international exposure. They know what they need to work on.

Russia said good bye to their great gymnast Mustafina and it was to their benefit.

This particular competition is a great opportunity to give their young gymnasts some exposure and they would be foolish not to do so.

I mean frankly they are already behind.

It’s not ageism to think about your future. Chellsie has had a lot of opportunities. Can Chellsie commit to staying for Paris?

The Olympics are in three years. On the OGM team podium I know Britain had two 16 year old twins. And Russia had two 16 year olds.

This means these young talented girls already have significant experience and international exposure. They know what they need to work on.

Russia said good bye to their great gymnast Mustafina and it was to their benefit.

This particular competition is a great opportunity to give their young gymnasts some exposure and they would be foolish not to do so.

I mean frankly they are already behind.

Didn't say it was ageism, but sometimes having an experienced person on a team with those who have not been can actually be beneficial.

I am just saying, if she is ready, and one of the best, she should go.

Didn't say it was ageism, but sometimes having an experienced person on a team with those who have not been can actually be beneficial.

I am just saying, if she is ready, and one of the best, she should go.
But it’s not a Team event its an individual one so great place to send the youngsters. I think USAG really needs to focus on developing their young gymnasts

But it’s not a Team event its an individual one so great place to send the youngsters. I think USAG really needs to focus on developing their young gymnasts

It'll be interesting. I would love to see CHellsie go, mainly because it can show the young kids, coaches, etc that you can continue to compete past early 20s. That is a positive thing for all of the gymnasts. We will have to see if she is ready, though. And who of the more inexperienced gymnasts are ready. Getting experience is great, if you are ready for it ;)

Can't wait to see who they send.

It'll be interesting. I would love to see CHellsie go, mainly because it can show the young kids, coaches, etc that you can continue to compete past early 20s. That is a positive thing for all of the gymnasts. We will have to see if she is ready, though. And who of the more inexperienced gymnasts are ready. Getting experience is great, if you are ready for it ;)

Can't wait to see who they send.
They have to get it someday. Yes you can compete when your older but once again can she compete three years from now? Or even want to?
A team event world championship would be a place to maybe send Memmel:

It the US does not have three young gymnasts they can send it’s a problem. My understanding is The US finished third at Junior Worlds behind China and Russia I think.

They don’t start sending their youth soon will they be ready in three years.

Part of Jordan’s problems no doubt were a lack of experience.

I highly suspect Russia was just fine with this team not winning Team Gold. But were thinking their girls would likely win medals and get some good experience. Britain to probably picked their team thinking their youngsters could get some good experience.

I am sorry you have to do this. It’s high time USAG starts developing their youth or this loss to Russia won’t be just a one time thing and they may find themselves behind more than just Russia

Shilese was supposed to go to Florida, right? But, never signed a NLI? If I’m not mistaken, Konnor also had surgery.
I thought Konnor withdrew from the US Championship because she wanted to focus on 2024 Olympic cycle which basically starts with 2021 Worlds.
I know she went through a lot with her gym change in between US Classic and US Championship but I didn't know a surgery was a part of her ordeal.
I just hope she will do well in the future, whether it's Words 2021 or later.

They have to get it someday. Yes you can compete when your older but once again can she compete three years from now? Or even want to?
A team event world championship would be a place to maybe send Memmel:

It the US does not have three young gymnasts they can send it’s a problem. My understanding is The US finished third at Junior Worlds behind China and Russia I think.

They don’t start sending their youth soon will they be ready in three years.

Part of Jordan’s problems no doubt were a lack of experience.

I highly suspect Russia was just fine with this team not winning Team Gold. But were thinking their girls would likely win medals and get some good experience. Britain to probably picked their team thinking their youngsters could get some good experience.

I am sorry you have to do this. It’s high time USAG starts developing their youth or this loss to Russia won’t be just a one time thing and they may find themselves behind more than just Russia
This is what I've been saying, its going to be 1997 all over again.

I thought they said Konnor’s injury was worse than they thought and she needed surgery on the last episode of Golden but I could be mistaken.

I also thought Konnor did not make the national team, and was thus ineligible for international assignments, but I could be wrong.

In the past if there was a gymnast they wanted to bring on an international assignment but who wasn't part of the national team they'd just add her when they gave out the assignment or at a camp beforehand. It's never ruled someone out for the whole year. Otherwise an injury right before nationals would destroy an entire season even if the injury healed relatively fast and their routines showed readiness for an international assignment.

This was a while ago, but the first example I could think of was Jesolo 2019 when Malabuyo and Perea were both named to the team after being too injured to compete at nationals. https://thegymter.net/2019/02/27/malabuyo-perea-will-return-at-jesolo/

So, in short, no one's national team status (Hurd, Memmel, McClain, or anyone else) is going to keep them off the world's team if the other circumstances (college, readiness, health) align and they earn a spot.

@amiandjim I haven't watched Golden yet so I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

@GymAir I am not sure how it works, either, but I guess they can invite her to pre-Worlds training camp if she is ready (and healthy), and then she could be added to the national team list.

I would have to veto Chellsie. I think what she has done is amazing but we have to get the new seniors experience. The next Olympics is just three years away.
LOL. And people laughed when I suggested ageism might have been applied to Chellsie. Par for the course here.

Who should get the spots? The people who are the best gymnasts. If somehow it happens that younger girls get owned by a 32 year old then to me that sounds like good motivation.

It actuallys more likely to me that an adult in a stable life situation who has been through the process multiple times and knows exactly how grueling it is would be more likely to stick around then a teenager who will be dealing with decisions about graduation and college and learning exactly how much stress and sacrifice is involved. The attrition rate for teenage elites is quite high.

Also keep in mind that the ones who will actually be the young ones come 2024 haven't even turned senior yet and aren't eligible to compete in worlds this year. Anyone who's already a senior will be a veteran by 2024 and typically there's a lot of burnout, injuries, and retirements that happen between the first worlds after the Olympics and the actual Olympic year. The only one who made it to the Olympics from the 2017 team was Jade, the only ones who made it from 2013 was Simone.

In my mind it's far more important to build up the top juniors with smaller international competition opportunities (and making sure they're being properly paced) than it is to deny an older gymnast the chance to compete. Worlds should be the best team (or individuals in this case) possible. Things like Jesolo, Gymnix, and pac rims, and anything else that can be great opportunities to give the up and comers vital experience that are relatively low stakes.

I thought they said Konnor’s injury was worse than they thought and she needed surgery on the last episode of Golden but I could be mistaken.
Konnor had an injury after she left Revolution. It was unrelated to gymnastics and not serious compared to other injuries in the sport. Skye had a much more significant injury.

It'll be interesting to see who goes to Worlds. Not just from the US but from other countries too! Any brand new seniors this year who could go?

Waiting to hear from British Gymnastics! Hope they won't leave Becky at home again but wouldn't blame them if they did based on her performance at trials...

Well now we know whose competing. Based upon selection camp scores I don't see a lot of competitive start values. I'm telling you 1997 all over again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back