WAG 2022 TOPs testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone now where I can find a list of the physical and skill test components? Also, as a noob when approximately in 2023 would a now 9 (10 in 2023) year old need to pass physical testing in order to qualify for skills testing in June?

I have questions similar to JPC13. I always thought TOPS was a waste of time and could easily cause burnout but all the good information that I have read on here make me a little more interested.

I have questions similar to JPC13. I always thought TOPS was a waste of time and could easily cause burnout but all the good information that I have read on here make me a little more interested.
I actually answered some aspects of my own questions. General info can be found here:

I don't see any physical testing dates in 2023, so I don't know if that's it or if they will be updated with dates in the new year.

List of physical activities can be found here:

Getting good/strong at all these things seems totally necessary for someone who wants to be a well conditioned serious gymnast.

The skills seem totally inline with what you'd otherwise be doing if you wanted to get into optionals ASAP.

Honestly, I don't know why a kid wouldn't do it if they're serous about gymnastics. Regardless of how successfully they do it, it's going to be helpful.

I don't see any physical testing dates in 2023, so I don't know if that's it or if they will be updated with dates in the new year.

Physical Abilities testing is over for the 2022-2023 season.

Does it cost extra for TOPS? Does the gymnasts and their families also cover all coaches expenses as well? Flight, hotel, per diem, etc..?

What is gymnastics is free? I've never even been to a meet that didn't charge me $20 for the privilege of watching my kid compete in a meet that I already paid $100+ to register her for.
I knew that it cost to attend, and of course you have a meet fee for the gymnast, but was asking if parents paid for all of the coaches fees as well or does the gym cover those costs? I think it’s different for mens and womens gymnastics. At what point does USAG kick in to offset costs for the girls?

I knew that it cost to attend, and of course you have a meet fee for the gymnast, but was asking if parents paid for all of the coaches fees as well or does the gym cover those costs? I think it’s different for mens and womens gymnastics. At what point does USAG kick in to offset costs for the girls?
As far as I know, unless you're TOPS A team, you're 100% out of pocket. Coach costs are going to depend on your gym and how many other kids on the team are doing whatever -- same as an optional travel meet that only a few people go to, at least at our gym.

As far as I know, unless you're TOPS A team, you're 100% out of pocket. Coach costs are going to depend on your gym and how many other kids on the team are doing whatever -- same as an optional travel meet that only a few people go to, at least at our gym.
Yes… it basically depends on your club.

TOPS gyms might have already seen this, but recent USAG meeting minutes were posted in gymnastics Reddit and I think the last-minute postponement of skills testing to June (instead of at meets) is interesting. It’s probably great for the athletes to have the time and to get though meet season, but it would be frustrating to be re-working a training schedule right now. And there are probably gyms that would have had athletes test this fall if they’d known the current schedule this past summer.

TOPS gyms might have already seen this, but recent USAG meeting minutes were posted in gymnastics Reddit and I think the last-minute postponement of skills testing to June (instead of at meets) is interesting. It’s probably great for the athletes to have the time and to get though meet season, but it would be frustrating to be re-working a training schedule right now. And there are probably gyms that would have had athletes test this fall if they’d known the current schedule this past summer.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Committee Minutes/IEC/iec_111822.pdf

Yep... got it early in the thread...

The program basically fully tanked this year. They need to take it the exact opposite direction that they did this year. Instead of 200 (or whatever it was this year) athletes participating... they need to jump it up to around double of the old numbers... like 5,000+ and provide more coaches training and more opportunity for the athletes.

Instead of an "elimination" program... it needs to be thought of as a multi-pronged "discovery / education / research & development" program.

Physical Abilities testing is over for the 2022-2023

Please excuse my ignorance……I believe you all are discussing how no one knows what is going on with testing and dates for the CURRENT year. BUUUUTTTTTT……. Do we know when the NEW season would start? I see we are currently in the 22/23 season, so if your kid was just invited would I be safe in assuming they’d be working towards the 23/24 season?

The program basically fully tanked this year. They need to take it the exact opposite direction that they did this year. Instead of 200 (or whatever it was this year) athletes participating... they need to jump it up to around double of the old numbers... like 5,000+ and provide more coaches training and more opportunity for the athletes.

Instead of an "elimination" program... it needs to be thought of as a multi-pronged "discovery / education / research & development" program.
When you say “fully tanked” are you saying it’s over and not going to be around much longer?

Do we know when the NEW season would start?

Details on the next season are not out yet as far as I know.

I see we are currently in the 22/23 season, so if your kid was just invited would I be safe in assuming they’d be working towards the 23/24 season?

Yes... definitely.

When you say “fully tanked” are you saying it’s over and not going to be around much longer?

No... it will definitely be back. They made major changes to it this season thinking it would be a major improvement... it hasn't appeared to play out that way so far.

The program would tank harder as a discovery program that encourages more people to join. It’s a status symbol for CGMs and the sheer level of anger these parents had when they had try outs at our gym (opening it up from invitation only) was crazy. I was told repeatedly that they were not going to pay for TOPS training if everyone could get in

That’s an interesting opinion.
I worked the front desk at our gym when they implemented the TOPs program, and when they changed it from invite only to try-outs.

You would think that -I- personally stole the Olympics from under them.

About 1/3rd of the invite-only kids dropped out as soon as that group doubled, moms said they weren't paying extra for everyone to get the same training.

(I have some strong feelings on this insanity)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back