Parents 3 weeks out and no meet schedule

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD'd gym always does at least one big travel meet. For me its just book a flight to arrive at the destination prior to the first day of the meet and book travel home after the meet ends. Make a little vacation out of the meets. These are the things she will remember when she reflects. I do not sweat the schedule.

Reactions: sce
DD'd gym always does at least one big travel meet. For me its just book a flight to arrive at the destination prior to the first day of the meet and book travel home after the meet ends. Make a little vacation out of the meets. These are the things she will remember when she reflects. I do not sweat the schedule.
That's part of the issue- my husband is dying to take our kids snow skiing since we'll be out west for our meet but not having a schedule means we can't get that aspect arranged yet (coach says no skiing until after they compete). Plus some of our travel meets are in places I would want to spend a few extra days and some are not....add in trying to not miss more school days than necessary (our school district is very strict) due to other meets with the possibility of a Friday meet. The unknown is a lot for someone like me that plans ahead! Also our booster club pays for the coaches travel, we have no idea when to book their flights yet (we had one travel meet that we booked ahead and then they put all of our girls on the same day and it wasn't necessary for the coaches to be there on our dime for 4 days!)

Travel is tough in this sport. Meet organizers seem to think families think their meets make our worlds go around, that is not the case. DD competes on Friday twice this year, I think this is idiotic at best. Fibbing to the school district has become the norm.

Presidential this year. Bahamas last year, that was a nice vacation prior to Christmas.

I guess I don't think meet directors are doing anything deliberately. Most are parents/volunteers and are doing the best they can. It is so frustrating waiting for a schedule. My son is in his 11th year competing, and I think I might just be a bit jaded to it all. We book for the whole weekend, and cancel what we don't need if possible. (and we do 3 travel meets a year)

As for friday sessions, they are the norm. My son gets a lot of Friday sessions. I kind of like them..we still get our weekend. We have gone to meets with Thursday sessions, and Monday sessions. It is a tough balance between having enough competitors to make it a good meet and balancing the session times.

We have received schedules for 5 meets so far, with 4 of them Friday sessions! At this point I’m getting embarrassed to keep emailing her teachers about absences.

What meet are you going to?
Pikes Peak

This is our daughters 7th season competing so, for the most part, we're used to Friday meets being a possibility. Actually until the last few years, meet schedules were never very timely. I think with more and more places doing online registrations (and online scoring systems/programs), schedules have been much faster and it's becoming more of an expectation. Hard to understand why a meet has been full since the beginning of October, payments due by Nov 1, doesn't have the ability to get the schedule out. Other, larger meets the weekends surrounding this one have had schedules out for a time now. Definitely makes me question what is going on and worried that we're spending a lot of money on a meet that might be poorly ran.

We just got our schedule for a meet that weekend, although it is still tentative. I think the days are set, so that helps....

Pikes Peak

This is our daughters 7th season competing so, for the most part, we're used to Friday meets being a possibility. Actually until the last few years, meet schedules were never very timely. I think with more and more places doing online registrations (and online scoring systems/programs), schedules have been much faster and it's becoming more of an expectation. Hard to understand why a meet has been full since the beginning of October, payments due by Nov 1, doesn't have the ability to get the schedule out. Other, larger meets the weekends surrounding this one have had schedules out for a time now. Definitely makes me question what is going on and worried that we're spending a lot of money on a meet that might be poorly ran.

Our optionals are also waiting on this meet. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I have heard nothing but good things about this meet. I do not think it’s run poorly, otherwise it wouldn’t be a Nastia Qualifier or one of the most popular travel meets in the country! So, schedule aside, I don’t think you have to worry about that.

That would be nice if our gym didn’t ask us not to do that. We are asked to wait until schedule is released and then they rework practice schedules so that everyone can practice up to the meet as close as possible and as soon upon return as possible. And, well, my kid actually likes that so that’s what we do.

Just want to give kudos to the meets my kiddo is going to this year. I have all the schedules except the final two and even the second to last has a tentative travel schedule posted. Only the meet at the beginning of March is completely unknown and will likely be that way for awhile (thankfully, it is the one only a couple of hours away). I think this is the first year I have had the schedules so far into the future (and I like it!).

Just a related complaint. I just got our meet schedule for a meet three weeks out, yay, but the session is at 6:30pm with awards at 9:30pm! Bedtime is 7:30 people!!! Hopefully we can coax a nap out of her.

Just a related complaint. I just got our meet schedule for a meet three weeks out, yay, but the session is at 6:30pm with awards at 9:30pm! Bedtime is 7:30 people!!! Hopefully we can coax a nap out of her.

I hear you there! We have 4 of our meet schedules right now 3 of the 4 we drew the 6:30-7:00 sessions. Ugh!

Pikes Peak

They are starting to post the schedule.

My girls' first level 4 meet this season was a 6:30 march-in on a Friday night. I felt so bad for them--late Friday night after a full week of school and gym. We had to leave our house at 4:30 to get there on time. My 7-year-old was vaulting at 9:59 pm. It was awful! Luckily awards were quick, but we didn't get home until almost midnight that night.

My girls' first level 4 meet this season was a 6:30 march-in on a Friday night. I felt so bad for them--late Friday night after a full week of school and gym. We had to leave our house at 4:30 to get there on time. My 7-year-old was vaulting at 9:59 pm. It was awful! Luckily awards were quick, but we didn't get home until almost midnight that night.

I really cannot believe we have 3 of those sessions. It’s just sooooo annoying! Give me 8:00 AM any day.

I really cannot believe we have 3 of those sessions. It’s just sooooo annoying! Give me 8:00 AM any day.
Ugh! I am so sorry! I would prefer the 8 am session, too!

We have three at 11:30 on Fridays, so they will miss school, but I would actually prefer that over the late night meets!

We have to drive 2.5-3 hours to every meet as it is so this doesn’t help! So sorry for your little one.

Reactions: sce
Ugh, I hate the Friday night sessions the most. Last year dd had a Friday night session that was supposed to start at 7, I think, but they were running more than an hour late. And of course she ended the meet on beam. My dd normally goes to bed at 8, and it was almost 11 PM at that point. I think almost every kid on her team had at least one fall on beam because they were all so tired after a full day of school and this late meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back