Parents 3m airtrack + landing mat vs. 6m airtrack itself

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

EliEli

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello,

I would like to ask on your opinion on buying an airtrack for an adult gymnastic training (recreational). Would you buy 3m airtract + 3 m crash mat or rather just 6m airtrack without the landing mat instead? Which one is better for tumbling combination training (meaning 2 BHSs in a row, RO BHS BT, halves, fulls, punch front + roundoff connection)? Let' s suppose that half of a roundoff is done on grass so roundoff's so feet are the first to touch the beginning of an airtrack. Thanks for your opinion.

My daughter has a 6m airtrack and she is only 4'9" tall (age 12). She can do a round off BHS LO but almost always lands at the very end of the airtrack. If she does her RO on the grass the issue is the height of the airtrack. She has the 6 inches thick one and the step up after the round off is weird. She prefers a panel mat before the airtrack to do her RO and I always put an extra panel mat at the end for the times she has too much power and goes off the end of the airtrack (mostly because our grass is super thin and very hard). I would go with the 6m and also include a landing mat at the end for taller adults.

My daughter has a 6m airtrack and she is only 4'9" tall (age 12). She can do a round off BHS LO but almost always lands at the very end of the airtrack. If she does her RO on the grass the issue is the height of the airtrack. She has the 6 inches thick one and the step up after the round off is weird. She prefers a panel mat before the airtrack to do her RO and I always put an extra panel mat at the end for the times she has too much power and goes off the end of the airtrack (mostly because our grass is super thin and very hard). I would go with the 6m and also include a landing mat at the end for taller adults.
Thank you.

My daughter is 4”6 and we have the 3 m one - there isn’t enough space to connect a round off to a back handspring for someone who is shorter than even a below average height adult and it is difficult to do the roundoff at a different height (and get the hands to land correctly). Go with the longer option and probably still use a panel mat

Landing mat at the end would be an absolute priority.

Airtracks have an uneven bounce, when the kids get too close to the edges they go flying.

I would be very wary of purchasing an air mat. At best it encourages poor technique. The technique fir tumbling on an air mat is different to floor, they need to do each tumble on floor at least twice as often as they do it on an air mat to stop the bad habit creeping in.

These bad habits can really hamper a gymnasts progress.

At worst there is a big injury risk. Kids often start out alright then try things they shouldn’t be doing, especially with friends over. Or even just practice too much without the watchful eye of their coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back