Parents 4/almost 5-year-old on level two: one or two times/week?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! This is my first post on chalk bucket :) my daughter is starting The level to class at a new gym tonight. At her previous Jim, she went to X/week for an hour at a time. Since she wasn't on the competitive team, they put her with The recreational class that consisted of kids of all ages and all different skill level… It is a very casual gym with the highest level competed being level four. This did not seem to be a good fit for my daughter, so we are moving to a new gym tonight and after her trial class, they recommended that she joined the level to class. There is an option to compete, but it is not required. There is also an option to go one or two times a week. Some girls go once, others go twice. At this level, do you think it really makes a huge difference to go twice a week? She does seem very talented, and she adores gymnastics… She "plays" gymnastics every day for one or more hours.

How does she listen in class now? How long are the classes? What are her/your goals for gymnastics? What kind of flexibility does your family have when it comes to this sport? These answers will make a difference in your decision-making process.

As a simple answer, if she wants to compete, I'd probably say do two times per week. Even if she doesn't want to compete, but if she loves it and you can afford it, I'd say try two classes, particularly as she isn't super young.

Competitive gymnastics fees/commitment increase exponentially over time. There are quite a few good threads on here which detail commitment and costs as you progress. It's something you may want to consider.

Beyond that, welcome! While sometimes frustrating, this is a fun sport to be involved in and Chalkbucket is a great community

Hi! Thank you for your response. She will be five in February. As far as a schedule and Costco, I have a very flexible work schedule and can pretty much work anything in. We can also afford it. I think ultimately she will compete at some point, I am just not sure when we will start. She constantly asks to be a "competition girl" and it likes to pretend that she is at a competition when she is playing, but we may wait until she is a little older… Maybe level three or four. But, ultimately I think that is what she would like to do.

I was a competitive gymnast about 15 years ago, so I know how gymnastics was back then as far as cost/commitment, etc.… But, I know a lot has changed since then also :) I am so excited that she loves the sport and is so good at it, because I love it still… But, I definitely do not want to be overbearing parent that pushes her into something that she doesn't want or really need.

At age 5, I think so much depends on the kid. My DD did two classes/wk then and loved it, but my DS wasn't ready for twice per week until he was 7 1/2.

Imterstingly, both of my kids competed their first season of gymnastics as 3rd graders. :)

I'm glad you have an understanding of commitment, and as I was never a gymnast, have no idea how things may have changed, besides the recent level changes. I think it's important that you're letting her take the lead in the sport, like you said.

Either way, once per week vs twice per week, it probably doesn't matter much long-term. Most importantly, it should be fun for her.

Is the class long? At that age, 1 hour twice a week seems better to me than two hours once a week. But I would say with her turning 5, if you can afford it and she enjoys going twice a week, she will definitely learn faster, especially if they teach them the routines. Also my guess is with the length of the average level 2 class, you usually can't fit all the events in for each practice, so kids who go twice a week probably get more variety with the apparatus plus the routines.

I would recommend she goes twice a week. The aim at this age is to develop skills through muscle memory. Muscle memory does not last 7 days, which means her body will have to relearn a little each time. If she can go twice it will reinforce the technique.

Our L2s go twice a week. 2 or 2.5 hours per session (parents choice). They are able to hit all events. They don't do serious conditioning though like the L4 and higher do. Our gym starts with more serious conditioning at level 3.

I think if you can afford it, make it work and plan to compete I would do it. I would not do much more then 2.5 hours in a session, 5 is still little.

I would do the twice a week. Mine did it when she was five, and was fine. If you think she can handle it, why not...sounds like it is ok....they aren't going four hour sessions...

Thank y'all so much for your advice! I ended up putting her in twice a week at her new gym. She was so happy, and the coach believe that both classes she will be in our excellent fit for her! The first class has girls that are a little bit older, and are a little bit above her skill level (but they are still level two) and he believes it will be an excellent challenge for her. The second class is A level to class for 4 to 6-year-olds. She talked nonstop about her new gym last night and practiced what she learned for well over an hour! I think it was the right move :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back