Coaches 5-7 Pre-Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a group of 5-7 year old pre-teamers that I am struggling with. They are a great group of girls, typical of their age, they love gymnastics, are generally strong, and have lots of energy. I have tried to work a lot on shapes and basics, but something just doesn't seem to be "clicking." I don't know if my expectations are too high, if we don't spend enough time on the little things, or if I'm just not doing a good job with them. But it seems we do the same stuff every week (they come 1.5 hrs/1x week) and we just aren't getting anywhere- no new skills, no improvement with handstands or basic shapes- just the same old. We work lots on static shapes, so I know the understanding is there, and they can do skills correctly when I keep on them about it- but with 7 girls and limited time, I can't give them all my undivided attention and need them to be able to work independently at least for short periods of time.
Skill level is similar among the girls but developmentally they are in different places- some are nearly 8 and on the mature side while the youngest just turned 5 (not even in kindergarten yet) who struggles to keep up with directions, skill names, and stay on task (all completely understandable for someone her age).
Just curious what other coaches working with a similar group have found to be effective, what their goals/game plan is for such a group, and any helpful tips? Maybe I'm just over thinking, but I feel like a really awful coach and like I've made no progress with them in the last 9 months.
I love working with this age group, so I feel as though I generally keep things age appropriate with lots of fun, games, challenges. I just need some fresh ideas.

1.5 hrs 1x per week and you're not going to see a lot of progress at this age, it is going to be slow. What are the skills they can currently do...like...do they have a pullover and a back hip circle, or they need to get that?

1.5 hrs 1x per week and you're not going to see a lot of progress at this age, it is going to be slow. What are the skills they can currently do...like...do they have a pullover and a back hip circle, or they need to get that?
The time is an issue, sometimes I forget that they only come 1.5 hrs a week, only slightly more than regular rec kids and that time can be accounted for with the extra conditioning and attention to detail.
Some kids have a pullover, most of them that do are sort of hit or miss- can do it a few times then it's gone. None have a back hip circle, a few are close. Casts are okay on bars, pretty nice glides.
Handstands are messy, I think part of that can be attributed to how they are taught in the class program (kick up with one leg, switch legs in the air and land on the other). Pretty good cartwheels, but need lots of reminders about straight legs and finishing position. Most have a backbend and bridge kickover, working on cleaning them up. I found a good video on introducing handstands fwd rolls yesterday and might start devoting more attention to those.
Vault is surprisingly good, at least in comparison to my older pre-team. Nice runs, most can do a correct hurdle and at least a strong straight jump to mat stack. Some are pretty close to handstand flat back (still need work on heel drive). Good walks on beam (front, back, side, kicks). Working on improving pivot turns and 1/2 turns as well as introducing handstands.
I think sometimes I just overthink stuff. They are making progress, but I feel like I could be doing so much more with them. I also have to format the class to be a fit for our youngest (really not ready maturity-wise for the class) which holds back the other kids and I'm feeling at a loss as to how to most effectively use our time.

Work basic shapes and holds on everything. Handstand work half handstand with feet or knees on a block and hips to hands vertical, also do split handstands. Don't intro anything that isn't in level 1 routine.

Bars stay on the bar, little exercises to help them stay longer on the bar, not big skills. Hangs, holds, walking hands across in different grips hanging,glide swings, etc.

Work basic shapes and holds on everything. Handstand work half handstand with feet or knees on a block and hips to hands vertical, also do split handstands. Don't intro anything that isn't in level 1 routine.

Bars stay on the bar, little exercises to help them stay longer on the bar, not big skills. Hangs, holds, walking hands across in different grips hanging,glide swings, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. We do most of those things already, but in getting a refresher on the level 1/2 routines (we do Xcel only) it looks like we are on track, bars is the main struggle as well as improving handstands and form in general. The girls are all working at different skill levels so I try to adapt accordingly when appropriate.
I guess I more or less needed a space to think "out loud" and get some feedback and encouragement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back