Parents 5 stages of a gym parent - interesting read

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastmom38

Proud Parent
I stumbled across this and thought it was pretty accurate...even made me take a step back and evaluate what I'm doing. I would say that I'm in stage 5 but still have a little of stage 4 in me.

-----

Want to know '5 Stages of a Gym Parent'? Where are you on the progression? ; ) (Come on, we've all been there!)

Gym Parents, year by year:
First year: CLUELESS: First year gymnasts (also known as Darling Daughter (DD)) are clueless, and Gym Parent(GP) is clueless. It's all fun and games. The novelty comes from wearing a leotard at a young age and getting their hair done for meets. GP has no clue about the sport, no concept of scoring, what body positions are, and are oblivious to other gyms in the area. They chose the one right down the street from their house. The focus is not on winning at all.....all concern is placed on their own DD and whether or not she will make it through the routine without running off the floor crying or having to go pee.

Second year: APPREHENSION: DD has gained some skills, and GP is starting to learn a little too. GP understands a little about scoring and is tickled that their DD has learned some skill. However, all DD's friends are learning new skills too and worry sets in about her DD keeping up, or falling behind. GP also starts to notice that other gyms in the area might have teams that are good and starts to question whether or not this gym is the BEST gym around. GP now knows DD will make it through a routine, and starts to crave winning.

Third year: PYSCHO: DD has gained more skills, and GP is excited but still nervous because some of DD's friends have gained more skills. GP starts putting pressure on DD to "get better", straight legs, pointy toes, body position, etc. GP is starting to understand scoring, now knows the routines by heart, and knows exactly who DD’s biggest competition is. GP wants DD to be on top of the podium! GP knows all the weaknesses of DD's gym, and will take every opportunity to point out those weaknesses!! Talk about changing gyms and bad coaching is rampant. GP is finding fault in every little thing and a thought creeps in about whether the grass is greener at other gyms. Complaints about other kids, coaches, methods, other parents, etc is at its peak!!!

Fourth year: PRESSURE: GP is still psycho, but DD is progressing even more and that is enough to keep GP happy. GP is into full fledged GYMANIA!! GP wants that win bad!!! Relationships with other GPs have developed, even GPs from other gyms. GP may still be putting tons of pressure on DD to fix this and that, get this and that. You want to be the best, right? DD may start to rebel against the pressure, straining their relationship and souring DD on gymnastics.

Fifth year: ACCEPTANCE: GP still has hidden anxiety but has stopped telling everyone about it. GP has met some other 3rd year psycho GP’s and realizes how insanely idiotic they act. GP has come to terms with their own DD's level and has started taking away the pressures, but still quietly encourages improvement. GP enjoys some quiet conversation with other 4+ year GP’s. GP fully understands by now what it takes to win, and has accepted that children develop in different stages. GP also understands now that kids will have strengths and weaknesses, including their own DD, and they can all contribute to the team beautifully. After all it is DD’s gymnastics…

Sixth year: ENJOYMENT: GP has settled nicely into a happy group of other veteran GP’s and laughs out loud at the 3rd year GP’s. GP still wants the win, but they now realize that winning is not everything. GP has found a peace with her DD, and gives her the tools she needs to succeed, but no longer pushes so hard. This peace continues through the rest of DD's career.

Obviously there are exceptions, and lots of them. Too bad we can't go from 1st year to 5th/6th year and skip the years in between… Maybe, just maybe reading this will help someone skip a stage or two. :)

CAPPAE – someone transitioning through the stages/years

I'm taking thoses as symptoms and will be watching myself I'm still at 1. I'll be happy when I can look at posts on here.... ROBHS (know that one but man you guys have some really long ones) ect. means and not have to think lol

Yup, that sounds about right. Once you get past a stage, you can more clearly look back and see that you have passed through that stage. I really wish I had a board like this when my DD was little. I could have avoided a lot of stress.

New gym parent hoping to skip the steps, lol. Since my dd started older (12), she already had an understanding of the sport, and since she switched from ballet she had a solid grounding in understanding her body and positioning. Combined with me being the least competitive person on the planet, and if hope to start and stay I the enjoyment level. Fingers crossed.

It is true. I have happily graduated to L5 and ever want to go back :)

I would say I am at stage 5 as well! My DD is older and we switched gyms so maybe a little of stage 4 is still lingering. I really would love to get to stage 6. But I am competitive by nature (my DD is not) so stage 6 will be hard for me!! My DD however is at stage 6!! lol!

Add to stage 6. GP is much more concerned with DD surviving dangerous learning curve of true gymnastics flight( often including of D and possibly E elements), avoids watching practice and dreads middle of gym phone calls fearing season ending injury due to DD flying into immovable objects.

Oh gosh, dd is in her 2nd season and I'm in 3 right now. I hope to bypass 4 next year and go straight to 5/6! We are doing a gym switch and hopefully coaches will do good with dd and I don't have to worry so much.

Yes motigymnasticsmom!

I think you are a naturally talented GP and will be able, with hard work (no watching practice on the edge of your seat and calling down to DD to point her toes; no asking DD if she "got" any new skills at the gym; no harassing coaches to move your child to the next level asap) to score out of compulsory gym parenting levels S4 and S5.

Optional level S6 is the best.

Oh gosh, dd is in her 2nd season and I'm in 3 right now. I hope to bypass 4 next year and go straight to 5/6! We are doing a gym switch and hopefully coaches will do good with dd and I don't have to worry so much.
Gym switch was a big jump for us as parents. We're in a good place where we know they know what they're doing with gymnastics and with the girls as people. It takes away all kinds of stress.

Add to stage 6. GP is much more concerned with DD surviving dangerous learning curve of true gymnastics flight( often including of D and possibly E elements), avoids watching practice and dreads middle of gym phone calls fearing season ending injury due to DD flying into immovable objects.
then I am definitely at stage 6! :eek:

words of wisdom I have for the beginners is to not sweat the small stuff - and even the things you think are big are likely small - If you are comfortable with her coaches and the gym staff, she is progressing fairly well, and she is happy, just enjoy the ride. I worried so much in the early years that dd was falling behind. She was always more cautious and less willing to try tumbling skills. But she is still competing 5 years later and is holding her own. She is a great bar worker and on her way to becoming a great beam worker, after overcoming years of fears and lack of confidence. But if she decided to quit, I would be ok with that. I used to think THE goal was level 10 college gymnastics (and that is still her goal, though not necessarily w/ a scholarship). But my mindset has gradually changed. I have arrived at the knowledge that it is the process, not the end result, that is important. She has gained so much from the relationships she has formed with her teammates/coaches and the demons she has fought within herself to overcome fears and injuries - through sheer will and determination. These will carry her the rest of her life. That is what is important.

Year 6 of competing here and a "good meet" has a different definition now...We are happy when everyone leaves the meet with no injuries. A girl in my dd's session today left on a stretcher in a neck brace. Last week my dd landed a Yurchenko during warm up on the back of her neck- thankfully she was okay and was able to compete fine, but it really puts everything else into perspective! I found myself even missing the days of compulsory competitions!

I spent 2-3 years at level 1. I think I skipped level 2 and 3, moving straight to level 4, briefly. While my dd is not doing D or E skills yet, I sure feel like I am at #6, especially after the last meet. I was just so grateful she came out not injured. I was completely clueless when I went to Woodward with my dd. It was a quick introduction to the crazy gym moms!!! Going from nothing to that I think helped me never get that caught up in it.

During levels 5 and 6 there were so many moms around me that were completely wrapped up in scores and their dd's placements that they would track girls from other gyms to see how their child compared. I rebelled and didn't even write down my own child's scores or placements. I never went in the gym and didn't ask questions.

Level 7 my dd started trying to educate me on terms and skills and I definitely got a lot more interested in gymnastics. I can see the big picture now and while I ask a lot of questions, I still feel clueless about the whole thing.

I think having never been a gymnast, and never really been involved in competitive sports has helped me not worry about it so much. I am not a competitive person by nature, so I guess I don't pay as much attention as parents who are.

Yup I'm at stage 6 and did get the dreaded phone call- about her flying from the high bar onto the immovable object (her hand slipped doing a blind change) so it looks like dds L9 season is over. Looking forward to getting the knee healthy and getting skills back. Times like this I miss compulsory- but not the floor music

I need my own stage. Can we call it the "Simon and Garfunkel" stage?

Slow down. You move too fast. You've got to make the moments last.

I don't really fit into any of those but have bits of pieces of probably all of them! But mostly, I'm all Simon and Garfunky.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back