Parents 5years old and pre-team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

capritchard1989

Proud Parent
Hi my daughter is 5years old and on pre-team. She does 4 hrs and then 30mins private weekly. How long does it usually take for her to move up to team? She also is starting ballet bc she wants too do you think its too much?

All depends, it could be weeks or it could be years. Pre-team means different things in every club.

If it is too much she will be tired, cranky and unpleasant. Then you will know.

My younger dd started preteam at 4 and just quit- a week before she turned 6. She was doing 6 hours a week at the end but wanted to do dance again (she did dance when we were "only" doing 4 hrs of preteam). 6 hrs was too much for her. It would have gone to 9 in January- she would have made team and that would have made her hate the sport. She wanted out and so I moved her to rec and the coach has said she could still move up in January of she changes her mind.

But there were girls doing 6 hours plus tops with no problem. It is all very child specific. Only you will know what works and doesn't. maturity also a big factor.

Your gym plays a big part of course. What level do they start competing? When do move ups happen? One time a year or throughout?

Try it out. If she isn't ready then you can pull back. Good luck!

My five year old does four hours of pre-team (level 2) and one hour of dance per week. She is happy and doesn't seem overwhelmed, but I imagine it's different for every child. We expect that she will begin to compete as a level 3 next September, at which point she will begin training 10 hours a week. That might be too much for her at 6. We will wait and see. If she needs another year of pre-team, then that's what we'll do.
Neither of my kids has ever had a private, although I considered scheduling one last year over a rogue front handspring with my oldest. I can't imagine doing them weekly. Especially for my five year old. What do they do in her private that they don't cover in her regular training? I don't mean to sound judge-y, I'm honestly curious! Do most kids in your gym do that?

Actually private lessons pays off the most. Its one on one and the coach is really good with her and my daughter looks forward to them the most bc she said they get the whole gym to themselves. She can compete at 6years old. They do evals twice a year. But if requested by you or coach and if good enough they'll move you up anytime. The gym owner/coach was complementing my daughter and said she is strong and has a lot of potential and asked to move her up.

She is also more focused too. A five year old doesnt have a good attention spand. Theirs no distractions and the coach makes sure that she is focused. To me its way worth it. Money well spent.

My five year old does four hours of pre-team (level 2) and one hour of dance per week. She is happy and doesn't seem overwhelmed, but I imagine it's different for every child. We expect that she will begin to compete as a level 3 next September, at which point she will begin training 10 hours a week. That might be too much for her at 6. We will wait and see. If she needs another year of pre-team, then that's what we'll do.
Neither of my kids has ever had a private, although I considered scheduling one last year over a rogue front handspring with my oldest. I can't imagine doing them weekly. Especially for my five year old. What do they do in her private that they don't cover in her regular training? I don't mean to sound judge-y, I'm honestly curious! Do most kids in your gym do that?

I replied below.

She is also more focused too. A five year old doesnt have a good attention spand. Theirs no distractions and the coach makes sure that she is focused. To me its way worth it. Money well spent.
in gymnastics you have to learn to work under stress and with distractions. When the kids compete it is distraction city, they learn to filter that out because practice is so distracting. But if you think it's worth it that's up to you :)

For us dance has been a great partnership with gymnastics but every gymmies different , you will soon know if it's too much and which she prefers. At dance Dd's VERY patient teacher is always having to remind her to be right side up as Dd sees a little space in time between ballet exercises that are just the right length to pop a limber, BWO etc in LOL but at gym I notice she doesn't pop extra pirouettes etc into her conditioning series etc and yes she does prefers gym to dance:)
However she does enjoy her dance - says that her dance classes are like relaxing stretching after gym conditioning. We think it's great for her to enjoy both as dance lasts much longer as most gymmies retire long before dancers have to hang up there shoes.

My DD just turned 6 and she does multiple hours of gym and dance. She does well with both but she is a child that prefers structured activity to open play. My other child would not enjoy DD's schedule. Every kid is different. Try the dance, you will be able to see if it is right or her. Just be prepared to scale back if it is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

To the op: it depend on the child. When my daughter was on pre team she didn't do any other sport. Now I think we don't have time to do anything else.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back