Parents 6 year old trying out for xcel bronze or silver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone ,

I’m new to the forum. Hi there . I have a 6 year old daughter who will be trying out for Xcel bronze or silver . I’m a little confused between all the different groups. TAAF, USAG, and pre team. I’m not sure what to hope for. My daughter loves gymnastics she does private lessons with her coach as well as her class during the week. Her coach says they may not have a bronze team this year and she just may make it into silver . Anyone have any advice for a Newbie ? Thanks !
Mary

Xcel and JO are used pretty interchangeably at many gyms until optionals. At 6, I would strongly encourage L2 or Bronze to get her some experience and success. But she could probably do silver as well.
Differences... at our gym, Xcel has a more relaxed vibe and lower hours. JO is all about perfect shapes and has a more intense vibe. We've had more girls go from JO to Xcel than the other way around.

Xcel and JO are used pretty interchangeably at many gyms until optionals. At 6, I would strongly encourage L2 or Bronze to get her some experience and success. But she could probably do silver as well.
Differences... at our gym, Xcel has a more relaxed vibe and lower hours. JO is all about perfect shapes and has a more intense vibe. We've had more girls go from JO to Xcel than the other way around.
Thanks for the reply . Our gym is deciding wether or not they will have a bronze level this year

Our gym doesn't do bronze at all. We just start at silver. You can meet the requirements with some extremely basic skills. For example, on floor, tumbling passes could be round off rebound backwards roll and then forward roll forward roll. Our goal for them is roundoff backhandspring and front handspring but there are so many other things that can be done. Vault is maybe the trickiest for some of our little guys but they use the tramp board and the minimum mat height (28 inches) and actually do quite well. Pullover, cast, cast, back hip circle and sole circle or squat on dismount for bars. Some do glide to pullover instead of two casts. And then they do a handstand on beam and it doesn't even need to be vertical in silver. You didn't mention any skills your daughter has but silver really doesn't require a lot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back