WAG Kip Cast Handstand Tower (gymnastics drill for uneven bars)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I figured I would start posting some of drills and systems that we use in the gym as that is what ChalkBucket is all about. ChalkBucket was created in 2005 to help everyone learn more about gymnastics.

The cast handstand tower is a great way to practice cast handstands on uneven bars without spotting. This station can be setup on a free set of uneven bars and the athletes can just hit it over and over again. We put a sandbag on top of that top mat in order to keep it from sliding.

With setup leads to more successful handstand holds as the athletes can feel when they don’t make it… the tower also saves them when they cast too hard. They can also slowly pull themselves off the bar and practice balancing while they are up there.

I know I may have posted this video before… but I wanted to post it with a little more detail. Let me know if you have any questions.

View the full post at the following link...

Last edited:
I have had a few people tell me that they don't have the mats or that this is too hard to setup. Here's what I think...
  • If you don't have the mats and you want to do this drill, get the mats. The whole concept that you have to "work with what you've got" as far as equipment goes is really not good anymore. You need to be modern and work with what you need. If you need it, get it. I recommend the Al Fong Spotting Blocks.
  • We have a set of bars that always has blocks, so this would be setup for several days once it's setup. This allows us to spot other things while this station is going on. If you only have one set of bars or a few kids, then I would probably just spot the athletes.
One other thing to keep in mind, this station does not take away the need to hand spot kip cast handstands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back