Parents Selecting Potential New Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Confusedgymmom

Proud Parent
We have been at the same gym since preschool class, but my DH and I are 90% sure we are going to switch gyms at the end of the current season. DD is 8yo, Lvl 3. We are lucky to live in a large city where there are lots of gyms within a 30 minute drive. My question is what kind of questions should we be asking to evaluate new gyms? Our goal isn't necessarily college or Elite. I just want her to keep growing, progressing and having fun. I am guessing she goes to about lvl 6 or 7 then switches to cheer or another sport.

Look for programs that have a successful and established optional program. Do they have level 9s and 10s every season? Athlete retention is also something to look for. Most gyms have a free trial class that they offer. You can also try reaching out to parents at gyms that you are interested in.

Look for programs that have a successful and established optional program. Do they have level 9s and 10s every season? Athlete retention is also something to look for. Most gyms have a free trial class that they offer. You can also try reaching out to parents at gyms that you are interested in.
Thanks. Retention is a problem where we are now and something I have noticed. We started here for rec classes because it was closest to home. Never knew we would end up on a team so didn't put much into gym selection before other than which had the shortest commute.

Decide what is important to your family along with your child. Are you OK with high hours. What’s their schedule like. Do you think a large gym is important or do you think a smaller gym would be better. Look up the gym on meet scores see what level their kids go to and how they score.

For my kid, we wanted JO but lower hours. Strong on basics. Our gym gets kids to 8/9, with low hours. It’s perfect for us. The kids who want more move on and the gyms they move to are happy to have them. My daughters friend got to 9 at our gym Moved to a higher hour gym because she wanted more. She went to regionals at 9 last year, doing 10 this year with some colleges showing interest. She got to level 9 at our gym on 12 hours a week. I think that’s pretty cool.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back