Parents High bar kip help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cloe Forner

Proud Parent
So my DD is trying very hard to get her kip on the high bar. She does have her low bar kip, but its not consistent. Sometimes she will land it all the time in practice, and other times she wont be able to make it at all. Do you think she needs to make her low bar kip consistent before trying for the high bar kip? Or should she work on both? And if she needs her low bar kip consistent, is there any tips for shifting the wrists? She has a good solid kip, but when it comes to the wrist shift she just doesn't shift fast enough. Its like her wrists stay in the same place the whole kip, and then after she does a few her wrists really start bothering her. Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

So my DD is trying very hard to get her kip on the high bar. She does have her low bar kip, but its not consistent. Sometimes she will land it all the time in practice, and other times she wont be able to make it at all. Do you think she needs to make her low bar kip consistent before trying for the high bar kip? Or should she work on both? And if she needs her low bar kip consistent, is there any tips for shifting the wrists? She has a good solid kip, but when it comes to the wrist shift she just doesn't shift fast enough. Its like her wrists stay in the same place the whole kip, and then after she does a few her wrists really start bothering her. Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

High bar kip is easier than low bar kip once you understand the timing. A kip is an optical illusion; it looks like it happens in front of the swing, but actually the whole thing should happen on the way back. It's impossible to say for sure what the issue is without seeing a video, but by far the most common error in a kip is trying to bring the toes up too early. The athlete should remain extended until the front swing completely stalls out, and then start the kip as she starts swinging back down.

As for the wrists, 99% of the time if they aren't shifting it's because the athlete is gripping too tightly. You want a fairly relaxed grip for a kip; with a relaxed grip, the athlete will automatically peel out to the fingertips on the way back, and intuitively regrip as she reaches the top.

High bar kip is easier than low bar kip once you understand the timing. A kip is an optical illusion; it looks like it happens in front of the swing, but actually the whole thing should happen on the way back. It's impossible to say for sure what the issue is without seeing a video, but by far the most common error in a kip is trying to bring the toes up too early. The athlete should remain extended until the front swing completely stalls out, and then start the kip as she starts swinging back down.

As for the wrists, 99% of the time if they aren't shifting it's because the athlete is gripping too tightly. You want a fairly relaxed grip for a kip; with a relaxed grip, the athlete will automatically peel out to the fingertips on the way back, and intuitively regrip as she reaches the top.
Thank you so much! I will show her this tonight. I will let you know if this helped her. And she doesn't need her low kip to be consistent? Thanks!

At least two gymmies on my DD's team got their long hang kips on a pit bar before their low bar kips. I personally found them easier as a gymnast. Unless there's a form/bad habit reason I'm missing I don't know why it would be important to solidify low bar kip before doing long hang kips.

At least two gymmies on my DD's team got their long hang kips on a pit bar before their low bar kips. I personally found them easier as a gymnast. Unless there's a form/bad habit reason I'm missing I don't know why it would be important to solidify low bar kip before doing long hang kips.
My DD just got her high bar kip yesterday! She did it twice. She said it was way easier then a low bar kip. Thanks for your reply!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back