WAG Gym Hair HELP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Em09

Gymnast
Okay, so, I started doing my own hair for training when I was 10, and meets when I was 12, but after so many years of practice and so many techniques I have tried, I can never make it stay in. The past two meets, it's been okay, but training? Always comes out. So, gymnasts, gym parents, any one with any experience on making gym buns stay in, please give me your secrets. Also, my gym says we must wear buns, so as much as I would love to wear a neat, nice ponytail or plait, that is impossible for me. My younger sister's always looks perfect, and stay in. I don't know how she does it, (she's 16 and only 4/6 years of practice! I've had 7/9!) Please, please, please help!

Got2b Glued in the yellow tube. That's what my daughter uses for meets and her hair stays put, even if she sleeps with it. For training she just puts up with the hair coming loose

I always braid my DD1s hair because its so thick and the I but it in a bun with extra long ruber bands. I found them at walmart and their like normal but longer.

I use two rubber bands for both the ponytail and the bun plus the scrunchie. Then I use hair clips to keep the hair in place. Lastly, I put hairspray in for meets and this has worked for me and my hair almost never falls out.

Hi there. Back in November I asked for similar help for my daughter since I was new to WAG. So many members replied to my post and they all had great suggestions. I included the link to my post below (hopefully I did it right). Your best advice will depend on your hair type (long?…super long? straight?…thick? Etc.). For my daughter whose hair is super long (waist length) and thick and with some texture, the most important step was starting with a solid ponytail. And then the second was getting hairpins that were extra long (3”) so it would make it thru her bun the entire way. I’m happy to report that she never had a hair incident at a meet. I’d be happy to weigh in if you share more about your hair type and what methods you’ve used that didn’t work. Good luck!

Thread 'Long, thick hair bun recommendations?'
https://chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/long-thick-hair-bun-recommendations.67705/

My hair is thick but not really thick, and it goes to maybe below my shoulder blades? It is wavy sometimes, curly sometimes and has a mind of its own.

My daughter does a tight high pony secured with three elastics. Then we put the sock bun on and cover the sock bun with the hair. We use another elastic carefully over the sock bun/hair. Then I twist the hair around the sock bun, pinning as I go. Then I spray the heck out of it!

My hair is thick but not really thick, and it goes to maybe below my shoulder blades? It is wavy sometimes, curly sometimes and has a mind of its own.
What I’ve observed in my first year of “buns” is that the wrong props are often used (i.e. using bobby pins instead of hair pins) and starting with hair that’s too clean. Hair that’s a little thickened up with prior product (and even chalk) grips and stays better. Also, you need to start with a very secure ponytail…possibly use two hair ties (that’s what I started with for my daughter, but now I’m down to just 1 hair tie). And then when you start twisting the ponytail to form the bun, keep the twisted part as close down on the head as possible, and then stick hair pins in often (try the longer 3” ones…or 2.8” at the very shortest…and remember, hair pins, not bobby pins) and also try to get the pins to intersect across the base of the pony’s hair tie/elastic. I find that when I shove in the pins, if I can get the first few to cross thru the elastic portion, it creates enough tension, so even when the twisted part is trying to untwist, it actually holds better b/c the pins are thru the very tight and secure hair tie. Once you get the base structure solid, the rest is just fine tuning (hairspray, smoothing, etc.). Please let me know if you need more detail or clarification. If needed, I could try and video what I do for my daughter. Good luck and let us know how the suggestions and your trials go.

Thank you! Practice isn't on today because of this mock competition, but I have my regular practices tomorrow, so I will try it and see how it goes. You sound so experienced! Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread.

Thank you! I did pretty good, 6th overall, 3rd place in one of my events.

I'm having a quick break in afternoon practice, so I just have time to say, I tried your tips both yesterday and today, and my hair stayed in! Thank you so much for your help!
That is fantastic…both your performance AND your bun’s performance! LMK if you end up learning anything really critical as well…my daughter will eventually want to do her own hair as well and that’s much different than me doing it for her.

We use snappy bands for the bun, then a hair band over that and then spays loads of glue2be ( yellow small spray gel)
Keeps her hair in lovely :)

That is fantastic…both your performance AND your bun’s performance! LMK if you end up learning anything really critical as well…my daughter will eventually want to do her own hair as well and that’s much different than me doing it for her
Thank you! And I certainly will let you know anything I figure out.

Amish hair pins from Amazon are the only thing that works for my daughter’s super long and super thick hair. They are available on Amazon and hold really well.

We use the hair donut and Bobby pins. Then we use hair glue. The kind that comes on a mascara wand. Hairspray last, and should completely dry before adding a second coat.

I did the most beautiful bun of my life yesterday at afternoon practice! Thank you for the tips here! I used thick hair pins, kept the hair close to my head, intersected pins, etc., and roped it, and it was stable, and stayed the whole session! Thank you so much!

I always double up on elastics for my pony(I put them in at the same time like I’m putting in one but have 2 on my hand)
Then I split my hair into 2sections and braid each section.I wrap one braid all the way around and then the other all the way around.Then I throw an elastic on top and put in some bobby pins. I have a lot of baby hairs that go everywhere so for that I have a tooth brush that I spray hairspray on and use like a brush to slick back all the tiny strands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back