Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
road-to-college-gymanstics-text.jpg

Another great article here by our phenomenal author Jen Kula!

INTERESTED IN OTHER PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES IN COLLEGE RECRUITING?​

Check out this conversation...

college-recruiting-text.jpg

In a word: very. Currently there are 82 NCAA college gymnastics teams (divisions I-III), with a total of 732 scholarships available.

Can anyone explain these stats. 732 scholarships available????

Each year? I dont think this is right

My understanding is it more like approx 200 scholarships a year

Here is another article...

In a word: very. Currently there are 82 NCAA college gymnastics teams (divisions I-III), with a total of 732 scholarships available.

Can anyone explain these stats. 732 scholarships available????

Each year? I dont think this is right

My understanding is it more like approx 200 scholarships a year
Its not really, it was worded confusing. The author took 61 DI programs each with 12 scholarships = 732. First that number is high because we know not all DI programs can fund 12 scholarships. Should have written something like, there are approximately 732 athletes on scholarship competing in DI gymnastics. Take 1/4 of that and on any given year there are less than 180 new scholarships available.

Its not really, it was worded confusing. The author took 61 DI programs each with 12 scholarships = 732. First that number is high because we know not all DI programs can fund 12 scholarships. Should have written something like, there are approximately 732 athletes on scholarship competing in DI gymnastics. Take 1/4 of that and on any given year there are less than 180 new scholarships available.

The article has been changed a bit... but everyone should feel free to keep commenting... that is the power of ChalkBucket.

And this does really bring up a good question... what is the exact number of scholarships out there right now? Anyone want to count that spreadsheet out?

And this does really bring up a good question... what is the exact number of scholarships out there right now? Anyone want to count that spreadsheet out?
I think that is impossible as the spreadsheet is notoriously inaccurate. Also, coaches have been known to hold scholarships if they know the next recruiting year is more impressive

How competitive is it? - approximately 10% of those who compete L3 will make it to L10. At that point, they have a roughly a 50% chance of competing in college - not necessarily on athletic scholarship.

Also, coaches have been known to hold scholarships if they know the next recruiting year is more impressive
Well sure… but that doesn’t make the amount less or more.

no - the 4 military academies are "free". None of their students pay tuition or room/board
They are not “free” they require a service commitment. And as officers, it’s pretty much for life as they can be recalled at any time.

They are not “free” they require a service commitment. And as officers, it’s pretty much for life as they can be recalled at any time.
lol that's why I put the word in quotes. I felt fairly certain that all would understand what that meant. - In the same sense that scholarship student-athletes receive "free" tuition but they also require commitment to the team/school.

lol that's why I put the word in quotes. I felt fairly certain that all would understand what that meant. - In the same sense that scholarship student-athletes receive "free" tuition but they also require commitment to the team/school.

I'm sure you understand exactly what you are talking about... however... many that read this site do not. I am going to clarify here as I am very passionate about the Air Force Academy (you will see my daughter listed under the 2024 column).

The military academies require service to the military... the country (US).

Here is the commitment for the USAFA (https://www.usafa.edu/about/faqs/#:~:text=What is the Air and,as inactive reserve after graduation.)...

What is the Air and Space Forces commitment after graduation?
Although the length of commitment depends on a cadet’s career and other opportunities, including graduate or medical school, all graduates must serve at least five years on active duty and three as inactive reserve after graduation. Graduates who complete pilot training have a longer service commitment. The Department of the Air Force policy in effect when newly-graduated second lieutenants enter flight training determines the length of their commitment, which is currently 10 years after completion of training.

Interestingly enough... if you leave the gymnastics team... you still receive your education free of cost as the commitment is to the country. This is made very clear to the recruits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back