WAG 7 year old Level 4,5 or 6?? Coaches input needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlipMom

Coach
Proud Parent
I have a 7 year old daughter that has always been in limbo between groups at the gym. Because of her age the decision about what level to compete was made for us (level 3, and she was phenomenal).

But this year is a whole new story! I try to stay away from coaching her, but 2 months ago her coaches wanted her to have another stellar year and just compete at level 4, but right now she has advanced her skill level tremendously and would be one of our best at level 5. So we talked about her competing 5. Now in the past month she has started mastering her giant on bars, and her back walkover back handspring on beam, so now they are wanting her to go to level 6!

She's only 7! I can't imagine her competing a meet at level 4 then one month later competing a meet at level 5, and then one month after that competing level 6! Has anyone had success with a gymnast this young doing this type of thing?

I just want what is best for her! I don't care if she's better than girls that are at a higher level, that has nothing to do with what is best for HER! Any advise would be great!

I moved this thread to the WAG forum. The coaches forum is really for coaches to discuss coaching with each other and not for parents to ask coaches questions. I will edit your title to get coaches to check it out.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket.

Why even bother with Level 6? And why take a month in between levels? The L4 and L5 routines are similar enough that she could learn them both and do fine competing them the same day... as long as the L4 session is before the L5 session. Have her compete L4 and L5 in the same meet and then go straight to Level 7 a month later.
Level 6 is a wasted level since it isn't required. She will do amazing at L7 and win State! Also, this way, your DD will be on track to compete L8 as an 8 year old... and, if she still likes gymnastics as she gets older, she can go to the 2024 Olympics with 6 years of Elite experience under her belt. :cool::rolleyes::D:p:);)o_O Good luck.

Level 4, then level 7. Too much pressure and rapid progression can lead to fear issues or injuries. I think occasionally up training the skills and competing a level where the skills are comfortable for her is best.

Edit: I mean level 7 next season at the earliest. When she is 8 or 9 (don't know how your seasons fall or if compulsory or optional is different).

Give her some time. I agree with Gymdog that a solid year of L4 than if really ready at age 8 or 9 to score well at L7 and enjoy it move straight there - L6 is a holding pattern for those not ready for L7 and L5 doesn't really have much in it to learn that's not built in L4.

Moving too fast can often lead to fear or a weak skill/area that will come back to haunt the kid later on.

She sounds amazing and will do well as a L4, then either straight to optionals or a another confidence building year. Sounds like the coaches are allowing her to work on progressive skills above her competition level, no reason to move at lightning speed.

There were quite a few skills that DD was doing well at age 9/10 that became issues at age 11/12 due to fear and growth - had she not felt the pressure to continue moving at lightning speed perhaps that would have helped...of course if you DD really IS the one in a million 7 year old who will get to the upper Elite levels, this won't apply - but its also not necessary for her to be an 8 year old L7/8 to do that....keep it fun

I agree with letting her compete L4 or L5 this year and moving to L7 next year, but disagree that L5 doesn't have much to learn compared to L4. Front and back tucks on floor, clear hips and flyaways on bars, and either back walkover or back handspring on beam are all skills that lead into Optionals.

It can work, it can also be a disaster. I've seen both & it has to do with how it's handled by coaches and parents more than how many levels they do in a year.

I can't think of a case where our gym has had ever skipped a kid through 4 or 5. These two compulsory levels are important for building strong optional gymnasts. We have had kids do fall (year 1) - l4, fall ( year 2)- l5, spring (year 2) - l7, score out of 8 and do 9 the following spring (year 3). But they all do a full season of both 4 and 5.

My daughter skipped what is now L3 and tested out of what is now L5. Honestly, although I was impressed at the time, in retrospect, I wish it hadn't happened. I think that if she had competed at least L5, she would be a better optional gymnast. It seems like it was kind of pointless to rush her into optionals only to have her still having to deal with things like bent knees and basic flexibility issues. Just my two cents.

I have a 7 year old daughter that has always been in limbo between groups at the gym. Because of her age the decision about what level to compete was made for us (level 3, and she was phenomenal).

But this year is a whole new story! I try to stay away from coaching her, but 2 months ago her coaches wanted her to have another stellar year and just compete at level 4, but right now she has advanced her skill level tremendously and would be one of our best at level 5. So we talked about her competing 5. Now in the past month she has started mastering her giant on bars, and her back walkover back handspring on beam, so now they are wanting her to go to level 6!

She's only 7! I can't imagine her competing a meet at level 4 then one month later competing a meet at level 5, and then one month after that competing level 6! Has anyone had success with a gymnast this young doing this type of thing?

I just want what is best for her! I don't care if she's better than girls that are at a higher level, that has nothing to do with what is best for HER! Any advise would be great!

My daughter tested out of 4 and 5 in one in house meet and went from 3 to 6. I'm not going to lie, the jump from compulsories to optionals is big, it's just a different world, but I'm so glad we did it! She was great in compulsories, scoring 38+ aa at most meets. She finished the year at 36.925, so not too shabby! She was 10 and usually in one of the lower age divisions (which is some seriously tough competition). My suggestion would be to make the jump to 6. She has plenty of time to get to 10 bc she is so young. Let her have a successful year in 6, while getting her feet wet in the optional scene.

Again, I'm glad we jumped the compulsory levels and entered the optional world! Good luck to you!!

I realize there are a bunch of skills in L5. I guess I was assuming a strong L4 as described by OP had most of them. In the "old days" many kids did more time in old 5 then went quickly old 6 to 7. DD learned the L5(old 6) upgraded in 2 months after spending 18 months on old 5.

That being said I also feel she would have benefitted from a year of new 6 before 7, despite doing reasonably well her first year as a 9/10 year old 7, high 35s and state placements in bars, beam and AA. When she hit a mental/physical block with some level 8 skills and had to change coaching teams and gyms she lost all confidence.

I really think it's the training not the level that keeps them in gym and progressing long enough to think about high level optional/cillege

My gymmie did old compulsory level 4 at age 6, levels 5 and 6 (score out of 6) at age 7. She did a year of the new optional level 6 at age 8 and level 7 at age 9. She will compete level 8 this upcoming season at age 10. We monitored her moving through the levels quite closely. It's been somewhat quick but a pace that's worked for her. With that said, not everyone is cut out for it. She's loved each year of competing so far! Level 6 was a great step into optionals for her. She did well. Level 7 went mostly well, but she had some struggles. Some fear issues creeped in and there's tougher judging and competition in the younger age groups. Really, there is no rush. Let her enjoy it all at a pace that works for her and your comfort level. Their little minds and bodies can only handle so much. Keep a close eye on her, since it's a sport for the young but can be enjoyed throughout all of her youth. If she burns out too quickly from too much too fast, is it worth it?

I'm on the bandwagon of doing either L4 or L5. At those levels, so much emphasis is put on proper shapes for bars and getting much more solid on beam.

FWIW, my DD competed L4 at 7yo, is competing L5 at 8yo and then moving to L6 or L7 this winter. It is very likely that my DD could be an 8yo L7.
In the past year, she has grown so much as a gymnast. Everything looks so much prettier and her shapes are so much better. She was the youngest L5 at her last meet, and as an 8yo and competed against 10yos.

All of these points are the issues I continue to play through in my head! One thing for sure is that she would have competed L4 last year if she had been old enough! She scored 38's in L3 and had most of her L5 skills by May. L6 has always been a level we try to skip at our gym which has also thrown me for a loop! But there are a handful of the younger girls (10 and under) that they are wanting to move to L6 by just scoring out of L5.

I forgot to mention, they also want her to compete TOPs next year. Which makes me feel that L5 would be the best option in that the skills tested are most similar to the skills competed at TOPs for an 8 yr old!

Thank you all! And I would still appreciate anyone else's perspective as well!

I can't think of a case where our gym has had ever skipped a kid through 4 or 5. These two compulsory levels are important for building strong optional gymnasts. We have had kids do fall (year 1) - l4, fall ( year 2)- l5, spring (year 2) - l7, score out of 8 and do 9 the following spring (year 3). But they all do a full season of both 4 and 5.
She would have competed L4 last year if she were old enough, so she still trained those skills and L5 skills all year. She only practiced one day with L3 and did routines and still scored 37 & 38. But I've always agreed L5 was important!

It can work, it can also be a disaster. I've seen both & it has to do with how it's handled by coaches and parents more than how many levels they do in a year.
Could you give me an example of what you mean by "how it's handled by coaches and parents"? What would be an example of each coach and parent handling it well vs poorly?

Level 4, then level 7. Too much pressure and rapid progression can lead to fear issues or injuries. I think occasionally up training the skills and competing a level where the skills are comfortable for her is best.

Edit: I mean level 7 next season at the earliest. When she is 8 or 9 (don't know how your seasons fall or if compulsory or optional is different).
I totally agree and want to avoid any of those issues! But could I hurt her by holding her back? I don't really see how I could because she trains upper level skills anyway, always has!

Why even bother with Level 6? And why take a month in between levels? The L4 and L5 routines are similar enough that she could learn them both and do fine competing them the same day... as long as the L4 session is before the L5 session. Have her compete L4 and L5 in the same meet and then go straight to Level 7 a month later.
Level 6 is a wasted level since it isn't required. She will do amazing at L7 and win State! Also, this way, your DD will be on track to compete L8 as an 8 year old... and, if she still likes gymnastics as she gets older, she can go to the 2024 Olympics with 6 years of Elite experience under her belt. :cool::rolleyes::D:p:);)o_O Good luck.
Honestly I thought somewhat similar! If we're going to skip levels, go all the way to letting her compete what she's doing now (L7 skills) OR compete L5 to be super solid and go L7 or 8 next year. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Honestly I thought somewhat similar! If we're going to skip levels, go all the way to letting her compete what she's doing now (L7 skills) OR compete L5 to be super solid and go L7 or 8 next year. Thanks for your vote of confidence!
I meant to Ask... how many hours a week does she practice? And what is the difference in hours for the different levels - that would be my only possible sticking point... along with wondering how she does in school. I know she is young, but I have seen some students struggle with an increase in gym hours.

My lil one did a compulsory season (fall) L4, spring season L5, then tested 8 yo TOPS through Dec camp, then competed L7 for a few meets then moved to L8. Essentially a year and a half. TOPS made it feel rushed. I don't know that I would vote for starting optionals and TOPS in the same year. There's no rush and I wish I could have savored the security of compulsory levels a bit longer!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back