Parents 7 yo (8 in August) invited for team evaluation need pros/cons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tulip811

Proud Parent
My 7yo (8yo in August) was recently invited for a team evaluation. Amongst the other students there were 9 girls all of whom were between the ages of 4 and 6. We were not informa

My 7yo (8yo in August) was recently invited for a team evaluation. Amongst the other students there were 9 girls all of whom were between the ages of 4 and 6. We were not informa

We were not given any information as to what team she was being evaluated for. I'd assume it is Excel since being almost 8 hasn't she aged out of JO entry points. She has very few skills, cartwheel, roundoff, bridge kick over and pull over. I'm not even sure why they picked her out of the rec classes for evaluation. What are the pros/cons of JO vs Excel. I am NOT counting on her being a college athlete. She enjoys gymnastics, but its not my goal (shes too young to have long term goals) that she get an college scholarship.

Any insight?

While there are some gyms where almost 8 is ‘aged out’ for JO, it’s not the case in many gyms.
I’d find out as much as you can about their team program, time commitment, cost- this will be huge in deciding if team is a good fit for your child and family. How does your daughter feel about it?

My daughter was 8 when she was invited to join team. She competed her first year as a Level 3 (taking 2nd in state) and the next year as Level 4 (taking 1st in state) and this last year as Level 7 (she was injured most of the year but still did really well). So I don't think 8 is too old at all. If she enjoys it and is willing to put in the work then I say go for it. There is more to the sport than just doing well.

Anything is possible at her age! Mine first stepped in gym at 8 and just turned 13 shooting for Level 10 next year.

As far as which track, JO vs. Xcel, at the lower levels it is very dependent on how the gym uses those programs. Regardless of where they place her now, inquire about mobility between the two programs and what the possible future may hold for her at your gym. They obviously can’t predict how she will progress but they should be able to give you several hypothetical scenarios.

Though you may have read some individual stories of JO gym programs being very particular about age, the average age of girls in JO preteam programs around the country is 5 to 8. And the average JO level 3 is around 9, not 6. So I would not be so sure what program your gym is eyeing her for, you would have to ask them. And that she does not have many "skills", but was asked to try out for team does not surprise me, either. The strength to do a pullover and perhaps naturally good form in her handstands and cartwheels would be enough for many gyms to pick a gymnast out from rec.

like others said, 7/8 is not too for JO. It really is a gym preference. Our level 3 team consists of 6-11 years old and we also have young girls on our XCel team. With us it all depends on how much training/cost the gymnast/parent(s) are willing to take on. My DD (6) is actually the youngest by a year and a half - the rest of the team is 8+.

As for skills, that’s what a majority of the girls had when asked to join team, at least at our gym.

Each gym has their own criteria for picking their teams and known skills sometimes aren't nearly as big of a factor as personality, body shape, attentiveness, strength, flexibility, etc. Most girls won't go on to elite and college gymnastics but doesn't mean being part of a team and accomplishing their own goals aren't of huge value to them.

Thanks for all your replies.
The truth is I don't really want her in a JO program. I'd prefer a more laid back balanced approach to the sport. two days a week for a couple hours each would be great. 6-9-15hrs per week, well that just seems too much to me. Its seems competive gymnastics is all or nothing. I wish there was a happy medium. Still waiting to hear from the gym.

Thanks for all your replies.
The truth is I don't really want her in a JO program. I'd prefer a more laid back balanced approach to the sport. two days a week for a couple hours each would be great. 6-9-15hrs per week, well that just seems too much to me. Its seems competive gymnastics is all or nothing. I wish there was a happy medium. Still waiting to hear from the gym.
It sounds like Xcel would be perfect then. Even if the gym asks her to join the JO team, there is nothing wrong with asking about Xcel instead. One of the reasons it exists is for that happy medium you desire.

Xcel is an excellent program and does offer the opportunity to compete without the high hours. Sounds like it would be a good fit for your daughter.

6-9-15hrs per week, well that just seems too much to me

At the end of the day that is an evaluation you will need to make for you, your family, but ultimately your daughter.

As a now-adult who once upon a time did those hours (and-some) I don't look back and regret any of it. Training was never not fun, my family was able to balance it financially & time-wise. It kept me occupied, and (really) out of trouble as I got older & had more 'influences' in my life.

Just wanted to share that. Gymnastics really is a huge commitment all around for the athletes and families - but if you have a concern that your child might miss out on 'being a kid' because of the hours I want to assure you that if she is loving what she is doing, she too will look back and not regret her time spent in the gym :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back