Parents 7yo has scoliosis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LoriLou

Proud Parent
Starting last week my 7yo started having neck pain similar to a crick in her neck. I assumed that was what was happening. She has a 2 week break from gym right now. I thought she could just rest and be fine. Well after a week there was little improvement. She has almost no motion up and down with her head, and slightly better movement side to side.

On Friday I brought her to the dr and he noticed her left shoulder is dropped. He sent her for X-rays this morning. I got a call back within an hour of the X-rays. He says she has mild scoliosis. 10 - 25 degrees is considered mild, but I don't know where she falls in that range. We're being referred for physical therapy now. I also may have him refer me to an orthopedic surgeon.

I've been doing some online research (bad, I know). There are mixed reviews on this. Some say gymnastics is great for building the core, and is therefore a great sport for scoliosis. Other studies are showing that there is an increases risk of early onset scoliosis in gymnasts because of joint expansion and severe flexibility. Does anyone have experience with this? If she has to quit gym it will absolutely break her heart. She already has asthma and complains that "nobody else I know has asthma, why do I have it?" How can I explain this to a 7 year old?

Oh my that's tough. I don't have any wisdom to impart about gymnastics, but I have a dear friend with two daughters who both have it. Sending you good wishes as you find your way with this and hope you get some answers soon xx

I am so sorry. Before you talk to your DD, meet with the PT. I would think anything that keeps her active and building muscle would be good. I'm sure the PT can tell you what to tell her coaches.

I am so sorry. Before you talk to your DD, meet with the PT. I would think anything that keeps her active and building muscle would be good. I'm sure the PT can tell you what to tell her coaches.
I JUST got off the phone with the PT. he said exactly that. Gym is great for her because it builds a strong core. He also said we can't tell what range of bend she falls in because she is in pain. She may be compensating for her neck pain and causing the bend in her spine to be more exaggerated. There is definitely a bend, but no way to know how bad until the PT helps her to feel better. His main concern is that when scoliosis presents this early it is usually asymptomatic. He's hoping the pain is caused by some injury and NOT the scoliosis.

We found out in the fall that my dd has scoliosis as well. She is 12. I think gymnatics has helped her, not hurt her. We noticed the walkovers were really hurting her back so I talked to her coach about limiting them. Thankfully she is past the point of it having to be in her routine. So far though that is the only skill that bothers her and she is a L7. I hope you can get some answers on your dd soon.

I know nothing about scoliosis, but my DD had a dropped left shoulder and our NMT (neuromuscular therapist) said it was because of tighter muscles on one side. She was given stretching exercises and massage techniques to release the tight muscles on that side. I think your PT is right about things being connected and muscles compensating for problems. Hopefully your PT will be very helpful.

I have noticeable scoliosis but it doesn't cause me any problems. Also, that side of my back is overdeveloped from kicking into tumbling (left side, I'm a righty) which seems to have stabilized the curvature a lot. If I do a pike stretch in tight clothing for example, people usually remark about my back, but I'm pretty sure what they see most is the overdevelopment on one side which makes it look "off." The overdevelopment surprisingly doesn't really cause me many problems like you might expect, I guess the other side is just strong enough.

My gymmie has had several teammates with scoliosis and gymnastics has not caused them much trouble. She will need occasional check ups to see if the degree of curvature has changed, but should be good to go once she is done with PT.

I have a friend whose daughter had pretty significant scoliosis along with some muscle tone issues...and her doctor actually recommended that she put her in gymnastics! As long as she is paying attention to her body and following Dr and PT orders, I would think she would be fine! :)

Just a quick update. I took her to the PT this morning. One question was whether the pain was causing her to curve or whether the back curve is causing the pain. Well it's confirmed. The curve is causing the pain. She definitely has mild scoliosis. It is just causing some tightening and pulling in her neck area. The PT did some electro therapy as well. He wants to see her again tomorrow to repeat the treatment. He is hoping the pain will subside by weeks end. I am too. Gym starts back up on Monday after a two week break.

sorry to hear that the curve is causing the pain. I have scoliosis, as do all of the girls of my generation on my mom's side of the family. So we are pretty sure there is a genetic component there. I worry about my girls with it and have the doctor check them extra closely each year. I hope that if we find it early that maybe we can manage it as best we can. For me, it does cause regular pain now (after pregnancies); but as a kid I was able to still do my sports (cross country and swimming) with no problem.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back