Parents 8 year old and underwear under leotard???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Glossy, is it just the leg seams or the whole length of the Leo?

If it is just the leg seams, maybe she can try underwear with shorts over the Leo.

My little one is 6, and doesn't wear underwear w/ her leo's. It would annoy her to no end. None of the girls on her team do. The older girls wear shorts unless it's competition season, but I think the one's old enough to need to, wear the special cut ones for leo's. I always giggle a little at the itty bitties who come in for class, and have those character panties hanging out under their leo's. It's quite the look. ;-)

Shows you how much I know about gymnastics, I thought all girls wore underpants under their Leos! I just thought the older girls had some special gymnastics underpants that matched their Leo or a special dance one.

LOL. In my post above, I meant to say that older DD wore them for competition because coach said so, but not for everyday. For meets, we bought the ones that GK sells, they are higher cut. I did have her try high cut briefs once because she outgrew her "meet undies" and didn't tell me she needed new ones till the day before, but it just wasn't the same.

DD used to wear them when she was "little." She hasn't worn underwear for at least 2 years - she didn't like the "wedgie" and how it would poke underneath the seam of the leo. She is 12 now. At our gym, some wear underwear and some don't - personal preference, I guess!

I always giggle a little at the itty bitties who come in for class, and have those character panties hanging out under their leo's. It's quite the look. ;-)

There was a girl in DD's dance class who always wore the boy short character panties- I think there was more underwear hanging out the leo than under it! Her mum used to dress her, so I've no idea why she thought it appropriate. Kid was about 7 too...

None of my dds Leo have had a liner. What brands do you have? I need to look into that. I asked about this a few years ago.
It's just a liner in the crotch area...probably doesn't make any difference if it is the side elastic that is bugging her. Her GK's are like this, and we order the comp leos with the liner, too.

Boy, in my dance days, you were absolutely forbidden to wear underwear underneath your costumes...of course, we had tights :D

Sorry, I feel as though I hijacked the thread a bit, but hope you got your answer?
And thanks for all the responses to my little problem.
The area which gets sore is right up in the crease at the top of her inner thigh - only there, not seams generally and it does seem to be with all the leos. I thought mabe she needed a bigger size, but that doesn't make any difference. It's not a 'reaction' as such because there is nothing to see and it's only recent. She just seems to have to peel her leo off very carefully and then grimaces and says it hurts :confused:

We did try vaseline (OMG I can't believe I am having this conversation!) which she said hadn't helped with a very disappointed face!
They are not allowed to wear shorts so we can't do the pants hanging out thing - they're quite strict about them looking 'professional' in the gym and setting an example.

Hopefully it's a passing thing, maybe due to some changes in her body shape, I don't know...

What about talc? From what you say it sounds like it's maybe a bit of sweat rash type thing? In a crease the sweat can't evaporate and then the leo rubs on slightly hot/damp skin. I used to be really sensitive to stuff like that, it is really painful.

As a male WAG coach, I never thought about the chaffing. Oww.

I have seen young rec and kinder girls wear their leos backwards. Generally I notice by the time we are doing our stretching. Most of the time their parent has been around to go fix it, they can, or another parent or female coach has helped out.

As a male MAG coach, I ABSOLUTELY hate it when my boys go commando whether they are in a singlet or just shorts. For the record, shorts can come off way too easily during rings or high bar swings or in the pit. Besides when stretching. Seriously, don't flash lil guys.

We actually had a problem at Berkeley's NAIGC club with some dude wearing a pair or way too short shorts. Some of the gals were gossipping. I think I interjected. Bad enough when the guy tried to changing with a towel covering in the sort of cubby/locker/storage area in the gym. Go to the bathroom dude, it's s'okay for the gals but not guys. Slightly worse than when one of the guys stripped down to his boxers on tramp. People are strange in Bezerkely, okay.

Seriously, pale light colored leo's for the girls? Never.

You know what Faith, talc is a great idea! That's the way I was heading with the vaseline but talc might work better.
I had in my head it couldn't be sweat related because she went through a whole summer and now that it's turning cooler (it's like a fridge in the gym) she starts up with this!
Will try talc tomorrow, but I have a good feeling :rolleyes:

There is a product by Monistat called Anti chaffing cream. It has no medication in it, its specifically for this problem. I think it is silicone based, but it really does cut down on chaffing. I used it on my daughter this summer at the beach, as she complains about the sand rubbing her. Its in the feminine hygiene section.

My 9 yr-old DD used to wear high-cut dance undies to gym under her leo (except for competitions). Some of the dance undies were better than others. One brand, which was very expensive, are very soft and don't have the ridge on the edge where usually the fabric is turned over and stitched. Another brand she complained about and stopped wearing to gym because the turnover part was too wide and thick and it did chafe her at the tops of her thighs. This year she has rejected wearing undies under her leo to gym as "nobody else wears them" in her group, apparently. I'm not that thrilled with the look, but I guess they all look like that at the gym. The older girls mostly wear the bar shorts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back