MAG 9 and in rec

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

newgymMama

Proud Parent
My son started gym a couple months ago and loves it! He is 9 and doing a rec class 1 hr. 2x a week. He is really strong but isn't consistent on staying tight.
I know men's program is different fit the women, but am unsure how the levels differ.
Is it too late to consider jo for him?

It is not too late to join the team. Boys are not in as much of a rush as girls when it comes to moving through the levels. For girls there is the need to learn as many skills as possible before puberty, for boys many skills can't even be learned until after puberty as the muscles have not developed enough.

Having said that, some gyms will not take a boy that age as a beginner on team. Its important to look Into your own gyms policy.

Definitely not too late - and the tight thing for many boys kicks in about 9-10....DS #1 first competed L4 at almost 11 - now he's just turned 14 and training L7-8 (on floor, vault and high bar). Puberty helps boys, but hinders girls - totally different! Plus they can skip levels without a score out, etc....which comes into play when all of a sudden they get muscles at the same time they grow - and usually don't get the fears that the girls do...

I do know that some gyms aren't welcoming to older boys - but really that makes very little sense...check out your gyms policy...and if they aren't open to him working to see where he could be in a couple years, find another gym!

I saw some older teenagers competing L4 this year. It was a little strange to see them in the same sessions as my just-turned 6yo, but I think it's great that the option is available for those boys. 9 doesn't seem old at all to me.

Not at all! We have had several that started at that age. One of our guys went to the Naval Academy for gymnastics 2 years ago and I think he started at 11! Welcome to CB and the fun world of Men's Gymnastics!

I know our gym has a good size boys team. Im just not sure how the progression from rec to team is on the boys side.
The rec coaches seem to change frequently. Does the coach usually ask the hc to evaluate a gymnast?

I know at our gym there is communication between the rec/and (used to be)hc on who should move up. Parents can also request it. Asking questions about team, and what it means, what they look for before moving up, is never a bad idea.

floor: forward/backward roll, cartwheels, roundoffs, hand/head stands
Pommel: 1 mushroom circle (1 1/4 actually)
rings: pull up, l sit, inverted hang, german hang
Vault: handspring flat back on mat
Pbars: swings and l-sit
High bar: pullover and swings.

I think that is it for the base routines. THere are little things in there too. Others who have kiddos who competed 4 recently can probably tell you more!

floor: forward/backward roll, cartwheels, roundoffs, hand/head stands
Pommel: 1 mushroom circle (1 1/4 actually)
rings: pull up, l sit, inverted hang, german hang
Vault: handspring flat back on mat
Pbars: swings and l-sit
High bar: pullover and swings.

I think that is it for the base routines. THere are little things in there too. Others who have kiddos who competed 4 recently can probably tell you more!
That is about right. A few others: For floor, a handstand forward roll. High bar, cast undershoot. There are bonus skills that boys can perform as well, but the above are most of the basic skills needed or level 4. Around here level 4 is the first competitive level for boys.

For boys, 9 is definitely not too old to start. There is such a range of ages.

Well he can do all this, I'm not sure if he does them correctly or not,lol.
Thanks so much for the replies, I'm going to talk to the boys hc.

Reactions: sce
Well I showed him the video, he said "um, mine doesn't look like that" so I guess he didn't have all the skills.
It's good to know he isn't too old :)

Thanks for the video, it really helped to see what everything is called.

Just to go on about how weird gymnastics is, the higher track in men's gymnastics is called JE, which I think means Junior Elite, and I'm not sure what level it starts at. But at any rate 9yo boys can catch up just fine if they get used to the level of training for the team at their level.

DS just completed his first season as a 9 year old L4. At many of the competitions we attended, his age group was pretty large and there was always at least one or two groups of older L4's (his team even had two 14 year olds).

If your son wants to be on team, I would definitely talk to the HC. Prior to being on team, DS could barely do a RO. I remember watching the above USAG L4 video and thinking that there was no way he could do those things...but once he joined team, he did! He had a great season and place first on floor at states. DS currently has a knee injury and can only do upper body conditioning, but he is now a L5. Now, we watch the L5 USAG videos and say there is no way he is going to be able to do those routines...I can't wait to watch him prove me wrong :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back