Parents 9 hours for training level 3??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rmankini

Proud Parent
Hi All,

My daughter got moved up from preteam level 2, to training level 3. We moved to region 1. The new hours are 6. Which I think is perfect. In just 2 months when they start learning level 3 routine, it moves to 9 hours a week. Personally, I think this is too much. She will just be turning 7 this March. Of course, I will not express my opinion to her because I don't want to undermine the process or opportunity. I do think this introduces burnout and injuries. These girls train hard btw!! Lots of conditioning. After her 2 hour workout, she is worn out. There is no waiting around with this coach. It's a tight ship! With too much homework already in 1st grade, I'm just a concerned mom. It actually saddens me a little the workload on kids these days.....

We are in a VERY competitive area so I think these new up'd hours are to compete with some gyms that are big recruiting gyms. But I feel this is a 10 year journey possibly and there is a lot that can happen. Too many hours too young equals quitting....Thoughts? What are your hours at this level? Thank you

9 hours is very normal for level 3 here. DD is also 7 and has had no problems moving from 6 hours to 9.

We are in region 2. My daughter (5 years old) in level 2 trains 6 hours per week (plus 3 hours of tops). My daughter ( just turned 8 years old) in level 3 trains 10.5 hours per week (plus 3 hours tops). Neither girl has had any trouble adjusting to the longer hours-in fact, they want more gym time, and never want to leave! Their practices are very regimented and they efficient. They do lots of conditioning and work on each event every practice. My younger daughter will be moving up to level 3 in a couple months and move up to the higher hours. We have friends at a few gyms in our area, and it seems that 9-11 hours for level 3 is about average.

My dd did 9 hours for level 3 when she was 7 and she was fine with it. It never seemed like too much. After she moved up to level 4, she moved to 13 hours and the level 3's practice with them now so they also do 13 hours. It was a little adjustment for them, but they were fine with it fairly quickly. Unfortunately the hours do seem to ramp up quickly and there will be a time soon where 9 hours will probably seem like so little. :(

9 hours a week is very average around here. Some high competition areas may do more like 12 hours for L3. However, Xcel is always an option if your dd feel overwhelmed after starting the higher hours. Usually Xcel introductory levels only train 4-6 hours.

I've commonly heard that L3 does 6-12 hours per week. It's not out of the ordinary.

I'm also in Region 1. My DD started training L4 at 6yo (competed at 7yo) at 10+hrs/wk. At first, the jump in hours took some getting used to. She was definitely tired by the end of the week. However, she quickly acclimated and wanted more and more hours.
She's just a couple years older now and is in the gym 5 days a week (4+ hours/day) - and is still excited to go to gym .... Every. Single. Practice. ;)

When it comes to homework, keep an open communication line with the teacher. We have NEVER had to pull the "too tired" or "no time" card (still in elementary school, though, I know it'll get harder) ; however, all of her teachers have known about DDs commitment and have been not only understanding but also impressed! Knowing that her teacher is understanding takes a lot of stress off her shoulders.

Our Level 3s and 4s actually do 15 hours which I think is a bit too much. My daughter is 10 though, so that helps. We pick her up 45 minutes early one night so we can get in a family dinner, so her hours are closer to 14.

Hi, Thank you ALL. WOW, well I guess I got a wake up call. We just moved out of state a month ago and got slammed with 4 times the homework and then this. So, it's all coming at her a little fast. But I'm sure you are all right, and she will acclimate. Thank you

We are also region 1 and in a very competitive area and my daughter did 12 hours and increased to 16 hours as 2nd grade L3. She did fine, it took about 2 weeks to adjust. The homework is relatively light in 1st grade, so if she continues in gym she will learn to handle increasing homework along with increasing hours. She will be great at time management and self-discipline.

It may seem a lot to start with but she will soon adjust, I remember when dd hours creeped up I used to worry but she loves it plenty of sleep and food if shes happy thats the best and only sign you really need , good luck

I would say 9 hours is on the low side for level 3, for our equivalent level in Australia most would be doing about 12. Some get by on 9, some do 14-16.

You have to look at level 3 as also a training ground for level 4, when yiu see the jump in expectations on skills (especially on bars) you see why it can be hard to get by on 6 hours.

Our L3s do 11 hours and we're not a super competative gym compared to many here on CB.

Last edited:
Our L3s do 9 hrs as well. I would say locally that is on the higher end BUT regionally, not at all. We come up against L3's who practice 15hrs/wk regularly.

Hi All,

My daughter got moved up from preteam level 2, to training level 3. We moved to region 1. The new hours are 6. Which I think is perfect. In just 2 months when they start learning level 3 routine, it moves to 9 hours a week. Personally, I think this is too much. She will just be turning 7 this March. Of course, I will not express my opinion to her because I don't want to undermine the process or opportunity. I do think this introduces burnout and injuries. These girls train hard btw!! Lots of conditioning. After her 2 hour workout, she is worn out. There is no waiting around with this coach. It's a tight ship! With too much homework already in 1st grade, I'm just a concerned mom. It actually saddens me a little the workload on kids these days.....

We are in a VERY competitive area so I think these new up'd hours are to compete with some gyms that are big recruiting gyms. But I feel this is a 10 year journey possibly and there is a lot that can happen. Too many hours too young equals quitting....Thoughts? What are your hours at this level? Thank you

no. 9 hours is healthy and normal.

my 6 yo (turning 10 next month) started level 3 non-compete and was 9hr/wk with an optional 4th day making it 12 hours. when they decided to compete her the last 2 meets so she could go to states, i went ahead and put her on the extra day. because most of the parents chose to do the optional 4th day, our level 3 is now 12 hours a week. it was not too much for her at all - she loved it. she turned 7 right before her very first meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back