WAG A Beam Dismounts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm an adult gymnast who's going to be competing NAIGC level 6 this year--it's my first time ever competing in any sport, let alone gymnastics. The program at my gym is very self-guided and self-coached, which includes coming up with routine compositions. I've been scouring YouTube on beam dismounts, but with lower level ones it can be hard to tell if it's something that's actually in the code or not.

My athletic background is mostly focused in ballet and martial arts, so I have a lot of very strong dance skills, but I'm working hard to build up the fundamentals of my tumbling and trying to make myself remember I'm well into my 30s and not quite as elastic as I was a decade ago. In terms of skill level, my floor passes will probably be a FT (needs some work, but can get there in time) and FHS-RO-Back extension roll (to be upgraded to BHS if I can get over a mental block). On beam, I'll probably be competing some kind of HS and CW variations for tumbling, as my back does not let me do the kinds of reps I'd need to get a consistent BWO.

FT and CW-BT seem to be the go-to dismount options, which makes sense because they're foundational skills that will help build to harder dismounts, and I think a FT will be my stretch-goal dismount. But I'd like to have a "safe" dismount--something that I can probably learn pretty quickly in case the salto dismount doesn't come quickly and to help keep me from getting in a place where I'm overthinking and fretting about a new skill to the point where I give myself anxiety attacks about it. Overthinking things is both my hobby and profession, but it doesn't help my gymnastics. Can anyone help with what other basic dismounts are in the code?

I found this youtube video. Unfortunately, I don't know if these are in the code. They seem pretty basic dismounts. Just trying to help out.

Maybe a front handspring or round off dismount? So you take off from the beam, hands on the beam, feet land on the mat. Not sure if it is in the code though....

I think front handspring and round off dismount are both A’s. Dd did a barani last year (like a round off off the side of the beam but with no hands) and it definitely counted as an “A” skill.

The front handspring & round off dismounts Jard describes are both in the JO code of points.
Front tuck, Back tuck, Barani, front aerial, and a gainer tuck are the other common basic "A" dismounts. A side handstand dismount from the middle of the beam (coming down on the side you're facing like L1/L2 or with a turn like L3/L4/L5) is not in the JO COP so it would not work. The round off dismount is easier than the L3/L4/L5 dismount anyway!

One side note, if NAIGC follows JO Level 6 rules exactly, FHS-RO-back extension roll on Floor will not fulfill the 3 acro element series special requirement. Somewhere around 2015 or 2016, USAG updated the special requirement for level 6 so that it is three connected elements, flight or nonflight, but specifically excluding group 4 (rolls). FHS-RO-BHS would work or you could do FWO-CW-BWO if you're not feeling flighty. FHS-FHS-RO would work, too. Reference: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L68cheat_1221.pdf

I'm an adult gymnast who's going to be competing NAIGC level 6 this year--it's my first time ever competing in any sport, let alone gymnastics. The program at my gym is very self-guided and self-coached, which includes coming up with routine compositions. I've been scouring YouTube on beam dismounts, but with lower level ones it can be hard to tell if it's something that's actually in the code or not.

My athletic background is mostly focused in ballet and martial arts, so I have a lot of very strong dance skills, but I'm working hard to build up the fundamentals of my tumbling and trying to make myself remember I'm well into my 30s and not quite as elastic as I was a decade ago. In terms of skill level, my floor passes will probably be a FT (needs some work, but can get there in time) and FHS-RO-Back extension roll (to be upgraded to BHS if I can get over a mental block). On beam, I'll probably be competing some kind of HS and CW variations for tumbling, as my back does not let me do the kinds of reps I'd need to get a consistent BWO.

FT and CW-BT seem to be the go-to dismount options, which makes sense because they're foundational skills that will help build to harder dismounts, and I think a FT will be my stretch-goal dismount. But I'd like to have a "safe" dismount--something that I can probably learn pretty quickly in case the salto dismount doesn't come quickly and to help keep me from getting in a place where I'm overthinking and fretting about a new skill to the point where I give myself anxiety attacks about it. Overthinking things is both my hobby and profession, but it doesn't help my gymnastics. Can anyone help with what other basic dismounts are in the code?

I'm crazy busy today and tomorrow, but I'm a judge and sometimes adult gymnast (broken leg right now). I actually judged NAIGC nationals the year before last. I'm happy to give you a complete list of skills that will count if you inbox me.

Thanks, everyone. I can definitely do a RO dismount now, and I think I should be able to get the barani pretty quickly--I've never tried it, but it matches my skill set. I suspected the side handstand dismount wasn't valid.

@sfts , thanks for the head's up on the acro line. I'll look into if my information is old. FHS-FHS-RO would work for me, and I'll keep on with the RO-BHS issues. I know I need it in general, but I'm trying to avoid putting more pressure on myself there. I have a truly spectacular bruise from kneeing myself in the forearm on it earlier this week and desperately wish I had it on video--no one who watched it can figure out how I managed it.

I'm crazy busy today and tomorrow, but I'm a judge and sometimes adult gymnast (broken leg right now). I actually judged NAIGC nationals the year before last. I'm happy to give you a complete list of skills that will count if you inbox me.

Messaged you, thank you!

Level 6 only needs 1 beam acro, so the cartwheel OR the handstand (held 2 seconds) would work. Then do a Roundoff off the end of the beam to the floor as your A dismount.

On floor, I recommend the FHS stepout-FHS stepout-RO until you get the BHS... or FWO instead of FHS :)

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back