Coaches A coach wanting to excel in Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello. I am a retired gymnast who tried to leave gymnastics in my past. Ten years post-retirement, I find myself back in the gym (as a coach) and in the process of catching up on all the things I missed. Yes, I just learned about this newfangled "Xcel" program, which my gym offers. Aside from the well documented differences between JO and Xcel programs, are there community norms around coaching styles for these two programs? I understand that the Xcel program is more accessible to a wider range of students and requires lower financial and time commitments. But, is there an expectation for Xcel coaches to be less challenging, less disciplinary, less detail-oriented than their JO counterparts? I grew up in the JO program, so I'm not sure how Xcel and JO programs differ culturally.

It really depends on your gym, but at a lot of places, Xcel coaches expect effort and excellence in much the same way. We transitioned to being an Xcel only gym as we recovered from covid, and we still help the kids set goals and do technically correct and safe gymnastics. We like to compete and we like to win.

I really recommend familiarizing yourself with the Xcel code of points and requirements at each level. I borrowed our gym's copy for a long weekend when I first started.

It really depends on your gym, but at a lot of places, Xcel coaches expect effort and excellence in much the same way. We transitioned to being an Xcel only gym as we recovered from covid, and we still help the kids set goals and do technically correct and safe gymnastics. We like to compete and we like to win.

I really recommend familiarizing yourself with the Xcel code of points and requirements at each level. I borrowed our gym's copy for a long weekend when I first started.
Good to know. I was trying to find the code of points online and then remembered that USAG makes you pay for everything . I'll ask my head coach for a copy.

My gym offers Xcel, GIJO (Gymnastics of Illinois Junior Organization) and JO programs. Not sure how coaches keep track of all the requirements for each of these programs. Oh well, I guess I have to start somewhere!

Good to know. I was trying to find the code of points online and then remembered that USAG makes you pay for everything . I'll ask my head coach for a copy.

My gym offers Xcel, GIJO (Gymnastics of Illinois Junior Organization) and JO programs. Not sure how coaches keep track of all the requirements for each of these programs. Oh well, I guess I have to start somewhere!
This is also a helpful resource to get the quick hits. https://thegymnasticsguide.com/2022-2026-xcel-gymnastics-requirements/

Hello. I am a retired gymnast who tried to leave gymnastics in my past. Ten years post-retirement, I find myself back in the gym (as a coach) and in the process of catching up on all the things I missed. Yes, I just learned about this newfangled "Xcel" program, which my gym offers. Aside from the well documented differences between JO and Xcel programs, are there community norms around coaching styles for these two programs? I understand that the Xcel program is more accessible to a wider range of students and requires lower financial and time commitments. But, is there an expectation for Xcel coaches to be less challenging, less disciplinary, less detail-oriented than their JO counterparts? I grew up in the JO program, so I'm not sure how Xcel and JO programs differ culturally.
I am using Xcel, I find it very suitable

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back