Parents A little sad about DDS' gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What level are you looking for her to compete? I might've missed it, but 3?

I don't think the handstand has to be vertical in l3. The bh will come over time, and the side handstand dismount will probably come soon as well. With the right conditioning and flexibility training, I think she has a chance at competing l3. If her form looks ok, other gyms may allow her to compete in the fall. If she works hard, and shows determination, I think she might be able too.

I don't think the handstand has to be vertical in l3. The bh will come over time, and the side handstand dismount will probably come soon as well. With the right conditioning and flexibility training, I think she has a chance at competing l3. If her form looks ok, other gyms may allow her to compete in the fall. If she works hard, and shows determination, I think she might be able too.

Thanks. She has nice form generally :).

Would it be ok for me to ask if there's anything that we can do to get her up to speed to stay with her group and compete in the Fall? Or is that out of line for a parent?

Would it be ok for me to ask if there's anything that we can do to get her up to speed to stay with her group and compete in the Fall? Or is that out of line for a parent?
I think that would be a perfectly reasonable question, especially if they haven't given you any feedback as to why she's not moving up with the other girls.

Yes, absolutely valid question. There has to be a reason why they think she is not ready. Her skills sound right on track for competing 3 in the fall.

L3 bars includes a mill circle, front hip circle, and shoot through. If your dd has not even tried these, they may be very difficult to get in a short period of time. The mill circle is very difficult for many girls, as is the FHC.

It also seems to me that at many gyms, you need a minimum level of skills to move up, but if you don't meet that minimum, whether you are close or far, you don't move up. Even though you see your dd as close and closer to the group that moved up than the group she will be joining, the gym may not care if she doesn't have what they seem to be the minimum skills to move up. But in that situation, I would want to know whether she can continue training at her level and working the skills she needs, even in the lower group, and whether they might allow a move up if she gets all the skills before the season starts, or early in the season.

L3 bars includes a mill circle, front hip circle, and shoot through. If your dd has not even tried these, they may be very difficult to get in a short period of time. The mill circle is very difficult for many girls, as is the FHC.

It also seems to me that at many gyms, you need a minimum level of skills to move up, but if you don't meet that minimum, whether you are close or far, you don't move up. Even though you see your dd as close and closer to the group that moved up than the group she will be joining, the gym may not care if she doesn't have what they seem to be the minimum skills to move up. But in that situation, I would want to know whether she can continue training at her level and working the skills she needs, even in the lower group, and whether they might allow a move up if she gets all the skills before the season starts, or early in the season.

Thanks. This sounds like good advice. She's really made a ton of progress recently and I really feel she could continue to make this progress -but only if given the chance. And that's what frustrates me. I am going to ask about this.

Your girls are young. Dd is 7 and finishing lev 2. She was always in youngest or second youngest age group in our area. Most of our level 3's are 8 or 9

Definitely ask. I would take a child with those skills BUT it would depend on their overall strength level. If they can barely so the pullover and back hip circle or have to bend their knees and arms etc, then that would be different than easily whipping into it with a straight body. I am more strict with moving out of 3, but since 3 is the lowest level and they can come from anywhere even advanced classes I expect they might not have been exposed to all the skills. Generally I would expect at least a standing back handspring solo though.

Definitely ask. I would take a child with those skills BUT it would depend on their overall strength level. If they can barely so the pullover and back hip circle or have to bend their knees and arms etc, then that would be different than easily whipping into it with a straight body. I am more strict with moving out of 3, but since 3 is the lowest level and they can come from anywhere even advanced classes I expect they might not have been exposed to all the skills. Generally I would expect at least a standing back handspring solo though.

Yes that's DD unfortunately -still has trouble with these bar skills. I guess repeating pre team is probably best but I'm still a bit sad about it -I can't help wishing she were one of the kids who started with a lot of strength and got the bar skills easily. And to make things worse the girls were talking about it in class today and some of them even made fun of DD for not "being ready" for team and said they are glad b/c they would loose if she were on their team :(. Not a nice group of girls in this group and probably better if she splits from them. Maybe being one of the better ones in the lower group won't be a terrible thing.

Wow, that is awful. It may be best to get her away from them. Did the coach hear those comments?

Yes that's DD unfortunately -still has trouble with these bar skills. I guess repeating pre team is probably best but I'm still a bit sad about it -I can't help wishing she were one of the kids who started with a lot of strength and got the bar skills easily. And to make things worse the girls were talking about it in class today and some of them even made fun of DD for not "being ready" for team and said they are glad b/c they would loose if she were on their team :(. Not a nice group of girls in this group and probably better if she splits from them. Maybe being one of the better ones in the lower group won't be a terrible thing.

If she is still having trouble with those skills, then I think preteam is the best placement. In the level 3 routine you have to do a back hip circle after having done 5 more difficult elements. So I usually look for relative ease and good form on it, plus the ability to do chin hang pullovers (more than one in a row rolling down to a chin hang each time).

If those comments happened in class then let the teacher know so she can keep an eye on it.

Not a nice group of girls in this group and probably better if she splits from them. Maybe being one of the better ones in the lower group won't be a terrible thing.
Yuck! Some distance from them sounds like a good idea :)

My DD has competed with skills she had just barely ready for competition, and skills she had ready and polished. Really, especially in the beginning, it's better for them to compete polished skills. So another year of pre team isn't a bad thing.

I will also add, you should tell the coach about the other girls comments. These kids are teammates. I have had my DD at 2 gyms. 1 where those sorts of comments were rampant and the coaches would basically turn a blind eye to it. And the current gym, where the coaches stress the " team mentality". They do not tolerate that sort of thing. This sport put too much pressure on these kids for these girls to be mean to each other.

The mean girls probably also need to have someone experienced tell them that what they are sowing now they may well be reaping later when they're struggling with beam acro, giants, and flipping vaults if they stick around that long.

Trust your gut, but also trust your coaches. We had a family push for their DD to go to level 3. They coach allowed it but the girl struggled all season. She was very "young" in the mix of girls and her skills were just always a step behind. I think she was frustrated most of the season and always struggling to keep up. She quit after the season ended.
You know your DD best and how she will do with all the pressures of competition and skill acquisition. Advocate for her but also listen to the coaches input.
Your DD is still in the young side. My DD did level 3 at 8, level 4 at 9 and level 5&6 at 10 and has always been the youngest age group.

I know you are sad, I know you want your daughter to move up and be that wonderful L3 that is out there competing and getting on the podium. What you have to remember is compulsory gymnastics is where these girls are going to learn most if not all of their basic elements that will carry them on into optionals and farther. Without a good solid base there will be little success. You as a mom (especially a new gym mom) are looking at the routines and thinking, WOW that looked great, she did all of the elements and stuck the landing. What the coaches and judges are seeing are bent arms, bent legs, flexed feet, extra steps, arching too much, etc. these are things that our parent eyes do not pick up until years of sitting and watching, even then we miss it a lot of the time. Plus do you really want your daughter to be with a group who already thinks they are better than her?
Talk to the coaching staff find out the reasons she is being kept back, it may be as simple as her basics. If that's the reason I would thank that coach and tell your daughter that she is going to be that much better because she has time to work on her basic elements. Not sure where you live but if you have the means to, take her to a college gymnastics meet. They are not that expensive and are so much fun plus the girls get to see what hard work and determination get them. And a lot of times the athletes are available after the meets to sign autographs and talk to the girls. I think your daughter will be fine, in fact after all this you will probably be happy this happened because this in the long run will have made her a better gymnast. Keep your head up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back