Parents A little setback...but I think there is a silver lining

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LMV

Proud Parent
I haven’t been around much life has been hectic with being back at work full time and beyond, being an involved mom, and trying to release some SuperMom expectations [my own my husband and kids seem to be so much more forgiving]. It helps that my husband truly is SuperDad I’m even making him a cape. Actually that’s kind of a joke, our son and his wife adopted her nephew [who just turned four and is into super heroes]. I made him a cape and he was thrilled but upset I didn’t make one for dad or grandpa so they could be super heroes together because “Superheroes always need back up“.

Our gymnastic daughter has been having a bit of a difficult time with some other things but being in the gym really seems to ground her so we’re trying to go with it. She had a good second L9 meet a few weeks ago. Her bars rocked and she remembered her beam routine! She did two different vaults for the first time. She did a Tsuck-layout first and then a Yurchenko Pike. They both looked pretty good to me. I think the Tsuck started from 10 and that may be why it scored higher. She thinks that is just more evidence that she is not meant to do Yurchenko entries but her coach feels that she really needs to compete a few before she convinces herself she that she won’t do better with them. He has said that if she changes her mind about elite gymnastics later he thinks a lot of coaches will be more impressed with advanced Yurchenkos than the Tsuckahara variations. I presume he means that they have higher start values [are they still called start values in the international scoring now?] but at least in L9 it seems that the Yurchenkos and Tsucks are similar start values. I thought her floor routine was a little better in how it flowed. Her tumbling has always been strong but really showing off the routine is not one of her strengths. I think some of this is just because her self confidence and self esteem is still not where we would like it to be. I also think that some of this is just that she doesn’t spend a lot of time really running through routines and that shows much more on floor than anywhere else. Vault and bars are basically skills oriented so if the skills are done well then they will score well. Beam and floor is where some of the score comes from their artistry which includes how well it flows and how smooth things look [as I understand it at least]. I think if she spent more time just running through her floor and beam routines they would look better but the nephrologist wants us to keep her training hours where they are so I guess this won’t be happening. Alas, it is what it is and her dad and I are so proud of her for just getting out there and doing it.

She ended up with strep throat last week which shouldn’t sound like a big deal but it was her first febrile illness since everything we went through last year and the initial CK her pediatrician checked was borderline so she admitted her. She did really well with a few days of IV fluids and antibiotics which is great and I am so thankful for that. We let her go to Saturday practice to condition and she’s back on her regular schedule now. She is supposed to have her last meet next weekend so she is looking forward to that and it looks like she should be ok to compete.

On the positive side the reality that this minor illness of childhood wasn’t much more of an issue than it would have been for some other child is encouraging. Also the HC that we’ve sort of been coexisting around seems to finally understand some of our concerns. We had an honest conversation about all of this and he conceded perhaps he hadn’t really understood. He also understands that the next six months may be very difficult because of some of the surrounding legal issues and he says he wants to be helpful. To be fair, I think he really has always wanted to be helpful he just didn’t always understand what would be most helpful and thus said and did some things that really weren’t.

Thank you to all of you who listened and advised us as we were navigating through some of the worst of this earlier this winter.

glad to hear things are going well for you. and by the way, conventional vaults and yurchenko vaults all have the same start values. they are equal in value.

and was the febrile episode idiopathic? just curious.:)

Just wanted to add that I am happy that her gymnastics is a good thing in her life, and the coach is finally on board and on the same page.
Best wishes for a smooth journey through your next six months.
She is so lucky she has your family it seems that you are such warm caring people who will do what is needed to help her in every way you can.

So glad to hear:
1. that she was able to handle a childhood illness without more trauma to her body.
2. that she did so well at her meet and is continuing to have the positive influence of gymnastics in her life.
3. that the coach FINALLY saw the light!

What a great update.

Very pleased that her strep was well managed on all fronts and that she bounced back well. I can imagine not knowing how the illness could impact her was a little daunting.

Wonderful news that she managed to compete all 4 at L9 and do well. We do not see many tsuk entry vaults from women at the elite level, the yurchenko entry appears to be the norm these days. BUt it is good to keep her options open by training both entries. I like your DD's reasoning though!

Really good news on the coach becoming much more aware of the whole situation. I really think that his cooperation is key to her long term progress and mental health within gymnastics. SO glad that gym is a grounding force for her too.

It really sounds like life is coming together well. Hopefully the legal issues you have to deal with surrounding the children will not be too onerous.

Great that she was able to compete everything. Hope she does awesome at her next meet!

Thanks for the update! Glad that hear that things are going well and that your DD recovered full from strep with no complication. Sounds like she is doing well, L9 is tough!! Nice that the coach seems to be on the same page with you guys now, too. And sending you luck for the legal issues that are coming up.

So glad to hear that the your dd was able to handle the hospitalization for the strep throat without any problems and will be able to compete in her next meet. Yes, the more time spent working on sections of the floor routine and complete run throughs helps with the performance aspect and also to clean up little things, but her health is the most important thing.
Hope the next few months go as smoothly as possible. Very glad to hear the coach seems to have a much better understanding of dd's issues and how to support her.

I didn't see your previous post, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I am glad your dd doing well. Best of luck to her in the future!

Good to hear from you. Great to hear that her strep didnt turn into a more life threatening thing. And its great that her coach has finally figured out how best to handle her situation and help to keep gymnastics as a positive influence in her life. Sounds like all in all..she is doing pretty darn good. Hope all works out in the future for you all.

Glad to hear things are going well for your daughter. She sounds like an amazing young lady. I hope she stays healthy and is able to continue to enjoy gymnastics.

Thank you so much to everyone for your well wishes. She did get a chance to compete in her last L9 meet. Her bars and vault were wonderful and I think her floor routine gets a little better each time she competes it. I'm told her tumbling is very good [it looks good to me too but I don't really profess to know] so I think she must be losing a bit for artistry [and I can see that there is difference between what she is doing and what the girls who are winning floor at her meets are doing]. All in all though it was a good meet and she got her highest AA so that is a good way to end things. She seems ok with missing the state meet she knows she qualified and that seems to be enough.

Dunno,
Well then maybe it is just one of those gymnastic myths that Yurchenkos are better. Our daughter will be happy to hear this because she doesn’t like Yurchenkos. It may also be that her coach thinks she has more potential to be able to do more out of it from what he has seen her do. I don’t really know enough to know [and I don’t think this is something I need to know she and her coach will navigate, or perhaps negotiate, their way through this].

This recent febrile illness was due to strep. She had a positive rapid strep and then the lab went ahead and set up the culture anyway [why I’m not sure] and yep that was positive too. This is just the standard strep throat that will get better on it’s own in a few days in most cases [we give kids antibiotics more to prevent rheumatic fever than to knock out the infection and ideally we only treat the culture positive kids and if we’re prudent we culture because several studies have shown that it is difficult to distinguish strep from viral pharyngitis]. We were concerned because of the high fever in the context of her history because of the potential for a recurrence of the rhabdomyolysis.

whoa...not good that rhabdomyolysis. pretty rare, no? yikes!

whoa...not good that rhabdomyolysis. pretty rare, no? yikes!

I guess that depends on the context [or population] you are talking about. It is actually relatively common in adults--although a lot of cases are drug related [alcohol and illicits especially cocaine and ecstasy but also some prescription drugs like antipsychotics and the lipid lowering statins and the]. Significant muscle trauma [especially crush injuries] also accounts for a lot of adult cases. Pediatric incidence and prevalence rates are poorly defined [partly because it hasn't been as well studied]. Viral illnesses and trauma are the most common causes in children but one of my colleagues elsewhere has seen a lot of ecstasy related cases in adolescents [which is scary and disturbing for various reasons].

In our daughter's case it was a result of significant blunt trauma due to physical abuse, although the nephrologist felt she probably did inherit a genetic predisposition as well. You can also see it with exertion [especially in the face of inadequate nutrition and hydration or in kids who are taking a lot of those protein supplements] also so we had real concerns with her returning to sports and she has been monitored closely medically as she has.

That was probably more information than you really wanted...sorry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back