WAG A new chapter in the journey of Puma Jr:USAIGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4th place AA! They went out to 11 for AA, so I assume that's how many were in her group? This is what I just posted in the parent forum if you are interested and not a parent:

Ok, full disclosure before I continue....Yes. Yes, USAIGC Bronze is significantly easier than JO L5. Lol. BUT...I'm still super proud of this kid! She also got 6th on vault and 2nd on both floor and beam! The first time she's ever gotten two 9s! Beam was not her best. A couple uncharacteristic wobbles, and she messed up and somehow morphed it into the L5 routine?! Poor kid! She ended up on the wrong end but couldn't dismount because there were no mats, so she awkwardly improvised and added in some terrible leaps to get to the correct side and ended up with a 7.8. Sigh....and she said they went over on time in warmup so they all started at a 9.6 for beam? This sounds wrong to me, I can only assume she misunderstood. But, no one in that squad placed on beam at all? Either way, there are still improvments to be made but I'm thrilled with how well she did considering she learned these routines seven days ago. And she got the qualifying score for USAIGC Bronze States, which we were pretty sure would, but she only needed a 32 and got over 34, so I'm good with that considering the last 13 days of chaos! Lol Thanks for everyone's well wishes and good mojo! Next meet is in 2 weeks and she is determined to get that coveted first place medal that she hasn't seen in almost 2 years...

Thank you for all the love!!!! :)

YES! Sounds like she was happy with her performance and enjoyed herself. That's a huge win.

Next meet is in 2 weeks and she is determined to get that coveted first place medal that she hasn't seen in almost 2 years...
Good luck. Sounds like she's pretty driven right now.

Did you see any of the same gyms you normally compete against?

YES! Sounds like she was happy with her performance and enjoyed herself. That's a huge win.

Good luck. Sounds like she's pretty driven right now.

Did you see any of the same gyms you normally compete against?
No, I don't think we will? At least not the big boys.

Great news!! I think you will really see her make big strides forward after the success of this weekend, sometimes that little confidence boost from hit routines and standing on the podium again after a long absence can work wonders.

What an interesting story to follow, and so far it has a great next chapter! I hope she continues to love this sport!
Thank you! I think @MILgymFAM is the only other CBer I know that's had experience with JO, Xcel AND USAIGC. lol So far this has really reinvigorated her. She's feeling confident and determined to improve. I think its helping her be more open to correction and more accepting of what she needs to work on. The less hours is what she needed right now too. She feels like she really has to get the most out of them (I guess there's very little down time) and she has time to be a kid too. I know that no situation is perfect and I'm sure we'll have bumps in the road, but so far this feels like a great fit for her. Thanks for following our crazy adventure!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been following this post, and the journey of Puma Jr. in general. It's so awesome to be able to vent and share with those who "get it", and all your warm wishes and advice are incredibly appreciated. It feels so good to see my child happy again. Enjoying this sport that she loves and feeling good about herself. Every kid really does have their own journey, and it feels good right now to be out of the rat race and the stress of moving up as quickly as possible. I now have seen first hand how competing skills beyond what a kid is solid at can be so detrimental to their wellbeing and growth in this sport. Hopefully I can help newbies with our story! The vast majority of gymnasts are not cut out for elite, or even NCAA, and there is no shame in letting them advance at their own pace. There is no set path, no one-size-fits-all scenario and no perfect world. And things change-they may need different things at different stages of their "careers". All we can do is be open and trust in our guts and make sure that what the child needs, not what we as parents or coaches want, is the most important thing. I don't know how the tale of Puma Jr will end up, but we're taking one day at time and enjoying that she is where she needs to be right now. Much love to all. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back