A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
So here we are again everyone, a new year! Lets start another new year "this week I accomplished". And maybe if people want to put skills as well that they would like to get, that would be great too!

This week I got the all clear from my surgeon after my ACL reconstruction I had in July. He wants me to take it a little easy in the next month, just to finish strengthening it. So this week I did some cartwheels(yay!) handstand forward rolls as well. Worked bars and did some tap swings, which much to my surprise are suddenly correct(I used to bend my knees into almost a tuck on the back swing and re-grip, and now I suddenly am able to maintain the proper body position-go figure)! I'm not going to knock that!!!

This year I want to get my confidence back and start working towards my level five skills

I am currently rehabing 2 lower leg injuries, but I just got the go ahead to ease back in and just keep tabs on how they look and feel. So I competed once in Dec. and I hope to compete again in Feb. or March, AAU ladies division level 8 and USAIGC gold level.

Otherwise this year I want to do more double tuck and try double pike flyaways, do more fulls at least on tumbletrak and resi pit/floor, do more combination double salto front tumbling, and try twisting my beam dismount to do a back tuck 1/2. I also want to be able to consistently throw my bhs on high beam. I can do it most of the time on low or medium beam, but I get too chicken to keep my technique the same on high. I want to flip more tsuks and do more handspring 1 1/2 vaults also. Oh and on bars I finally got clear hip handstand with a light spot, and with no spot in the strap bar, and I want to have that all my myself on real bars. Oh and finally do either a half pirouette or blind change in a bar routine:) Can you tell I like bars the best?

LOL who would have guessed you like bars best? Today I discovered the use of socks on beam, and HOLY COW. My turns? Totally rock and nail them now!! Might even move it to floor. Granted I am not doing anything more complicated on beam at the moment than turns as I continue to strengthen up, but whatevs. Oh, and my endurance is getting better-that was mentioned to me today that I didn't take as many rests in between doing stuff. Working board drills for vault, really want my handspring by late spring

Things you do not want to hear from your coach:

"Forget gymnastics, Kath. You should have been born a duck instead!"

Way to make me feel good! :rolleyes:

Also had a bit of a blooper earlier in the session. We were working on front somersaults onto a mat in the pit. I'm landing my front tuck pretty consistently now (it's not pretty, I'm landing in a deep squat every time because I can't work out when to open out, but I am definitely landing on my feet each time) so the coach suggested I try a pike front, just for fun.

Well I only got 3/4 of the way round - landed on the mat really hard, still in pike, and slammed my chin into my knees! It's still really sore. I'm such an idiot.

I would like to do the splits (any kind) and a back handspring this year. I'll be starting from scratch as I haven't done anything for 3 years (and I started as an adult so I'm not that good). But, I love it anyway!

nursing another shoulder injury, and believe it or not, i didn't do it at gymnastics. but last week i think i finally figured out my cast handstand on bars! but i will only be stretching if i go tonight.

I'm so excited...I finally got to work a couple of hours on bars & beam this past Saturday! Oh how I've missed them! Sunday, I had tumbling practice. I haven't done any running tumbling in 2 months b/c I've been really sick, so it was a struggle. I actually face planted once! OUCH! Hopefully, next time will go a little better.

I haven't been training, as our gym is closed over the holidays, plus I've been away on holiday myself for two weeks. My goal for the next few weeks is to polish my routines to compete at the Masters Games early February. I'm sure hoping my sprained wrist has healed enough now so that I can get back to practising cartwheels and round-offs and back hip circles again without re-injuring it.

For the rest of the year there are some things I'd like to learn, I'm sure I won't get all of them, but if I could get some that would be awesome:

Floor: Splits, front walk-over, maybe also work toward back bend and kickover...
Beam: Forward roll, handstand, maybe a tuck front dismount?
Bar: I want to be able to get up to the high bar!
Vault: I don't really do vault, it would be nice to try doing some vaulting of some sort.

All of this will be difficult, as I don't really have a coach, will just have to grab help here and there when I can find it.

Hi all, thought I should probably stop reading and start posting. Back at gym this week, haven't accomplished anything this week, apart from being back at the gym and it not hurting as much as I thought the day after. I have entered my second competition. Masters Games here I come. :) I'd like to get those routines looking nice by Feb.

As for the rest of the year, who knows?

Floor: aerial, walkovers, handspring
Beam: forward roll to stand, front tuck dismount, full turn, cartwheel
Bars: back hipcircle and eventually double back hipcircle, kip - maybe
Vault: haha, not likely, it scares the heck out of me. who wants to run at a stationary object anyway.

This week I accomplished:

Working on my splits every night. I can't go to a gym until we move as they don't have adult gymnastics where we currently live. :(

I did the Argos comp in November last year, was so much fun, was more of a laugh than a comp. All their coaches ended up doing it. I'm in the 20-29 age group for Masters. Really really nervous but looking forward to it.

I didn't know Argos (or any club) had an adult comp, Masters was the only adult comp I'd heard about. I'm also nervous but excited about Masters.

Had a good training session today. A bit rusty as I haven't trained for three and a half weeks, but things started to come back fairly quickly. Hand/wrist seemed to be fine on the cartwheels and round-offs (first round-offs since the sprain). I tried a back hip circle and afterwards I could feel something slightly sore in my hand, not actually painful, but I decided to leave it at just the one.

I only found out about it by accident, through emails that all coaches get at my gym. I think Wellington may have had one around Oct/Nov time. Did a little more training on Friday, haven't tried my back hipcircle yet though, nearly got that darn forward roll to stay on, just got to work on the back roll.

Ouch, I must have overdone things on Saturday, I seem to have strained my back. Went to train tonight and gave up after the first hour. Couldn't even do a circle up. Very annoyed (at myself and my stupid back).

Take it easy on that back Nicki! Don't be annoyed with yourself, it's all part of it!!! As irritating as it might be(two weeks after getting clearance from the surgeon I have hurt my wrist!)

This week I started working mill circles on bars(FUN!) but hurt my wrist doing them in the process. Did some front tucks off tt into the pit, and got my bhc back

Tried my back hipcircle again today, turns out I don't move my wrists so I usually end up just hanging upside down on the bar. Still don't have it without a spot either, oh well can't get everything so easy. Masters in less than 2 weeks, still don't have the BHC or the forward roll on beam - I can do one roll straight and then the rest seem to fall off. More positively, I have worked out my floor and it seems to work okay. Have another practice tomorrow so hopefully everything will just click then

I did a back layout with a 1/2 twist. This is the first time since my knee surgery 6 months ago. I also started doing some tumbling on the rod floor. Until now, it was all on the tumbltrak.

[video=facebook;1564287987251]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1564287987251&oid=114396765271368[/video]

Ok, I am FINALLY starting to feel a little more confident in myself and that I am not going to destroy my knee again. Started working my leaps on beam, surprisingly my split jump is at about 160 on floor so I imagine it's not too far off on beam either(no mirrors by beam so I don't really know). Started working handstands on beam again-but I was doing it on the wide beam, the one that's like, 8 inches instead. Almost too bad THOSE can't be used in competition, b/c I would be able to do ALL my skills no problem lol. My wrist is still bothering, so I can't even do a pull over because the support hurts, as well as bridges. I have another week off now though, so more time to rehab the wrist. Really just need to get it checked out but I think it's just a strain. So overall I'm just working on getting back my level 4 skills. Really need to work that fhc on bars and get my robhs.

i've been doing a lot of stretching while nursing my shoulder/neck back to health. it is going to be a very watered down winter nationals!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back