A new this week I accomplished.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I took my fhs vault to the actual vault trainer tonight, with it attarched to the tt to spring from and the residence mat to land on. I am so psyched, because I have been working my way up towards that skill for SO long, and it isn't too difficult to make it over. Now I just Have to take to the floor and spring board

Tonight was my 2nd night in my new adult class @ a different gym. LOVED it! We worked vault (FHS) & bars. I felt so much more confident jumping to the high bar.

I was pretty scared Monday jumping to the high bar after my fall. I did make myself do it though because I know the longer I wait the more scared I become. I only did it once Wednesday as well but I did it. Other than that not a very eventful week. I'm back to having to fix my roundoff so no ROBHS until then. I did land my front tuck half off the tumbletrak onto a mat in the pit after 1 or two tries. Once that gets consistent I'll try it on the TT and hopefully eventually do it after a front handspring.

Feeling good and loving gymnastics!! Bars is really coming along. Can make my cast handstand everynow and then. Working on form in casting, cutcatches are fantastics on the pit bar because I can get a tap swing on the low bar (the low bar is set really high).
Working on fixing my twisting on tumble track. I'm actually setting the layout before I twist. Havn't really been working vault or double mini, just technique on everything else.
I run the warrior dash this weekend. So I'm taking today off from all my sports.
Keep up the good work gals!!

So I didn't really accomplish anthng tonight, but Maybe someone can help me out. Ok so I was on pit bar tonight and was doing tap swings, all well and good. So I decided to try to cast into my tap swing, and I can't seem to wrap my head around.d the concept of shifting my wrists so I Peel straight off. Anyone else have this problem? Oh, I did accomplish one thing tonight, I had lots of fun :)

@Nicci, you want to kind of stick your butt up in the air after you cast or at least hollow (arch = peel as you swing down). Also 'regrip' by thinking shift your hands so your dowel moves around the bar toward your forearms like you would after a tap swing on the back end, during the decent. It takes practice to get the coordination down. Try baby casts before big casts. Nice there is a pit to practice this one on:)

Tried some handspring vaults off TT going over a block onto a resi!! This is the first time I've ever done a fhs vault going to my feet! I was terrified at first but it was really fun after that. On the down side, I really think back handsprings will be my death :p I seem to at least pick up the general idea of new skills pretty quickly, but for some reason I just can't seem to wrap my head around the bhs. Sometimes I make a tiny bit of progress but I always seem to go backwards again. I'm fine with back tucks and I love front tumbling, so I'm not really sure if it's a fear issue or not. Before I throw a skill I like to play in my mind what the skill would look like if I did it perfectly, and I can picture doing the skill correctly for everything except the bhs! I keep thinking that maybe that is the key. Maybe if I can train my brain so that I can picture myself doing a beautiful bhs, I'll actually be able to do one!

I managed to whack my coach in the face doing a terrible flic-flac on the tumble-track. My left arm went sideways instead of straight up. So embarrassing. I was so excited when I first started learning flic-flacs, but it is taking forever to improve. I wonder if I'll ever be able to do them without a spot. I did manage some quite nice handstands the other night, though.

I'm so excited, tonight I did my first round-off flic-flac off the end of the tumble-tramp by myself! I'd been doing them with a light spot and some quite good ones, then I started getting tired and they started to deteriorate. Then finally the coach said to do it by myself, he would stay there but not touch me. It wasn't pretty and went a little bit sideways, but I made it over all by myself and landed on my feet! I just did the one as I was really tired by then. Earlier on I also did some really nice handstands.

hey everyone, I haven't posted here in months! I just went to my first gymnastics (tumbling) class last night since November. I was very busy finishing up my last semester of school and then was too chicken to go back earlier in the summer. It turns out none of my favorite coaches were there and the new coaches are running the adult class very differently from before. One of the coaches was good, but the other one stood there doing nothing and I had to keep calling him over for a spot. One of the floors at the gym is new though so we have one red floor and one blue. Back in November I had just gotten my front handspring but I don't have them anymore :(. I was doing them into the pit onto a mat and next class I'll try and add a mat so I'm not landing so low. I didn't work any back tumbling because the one coach who wasn't doing anything took a group of us over to trampoline (which is what he does) and started teaching us basics. I really liked it and it was a good workout. While I waited for my turn I did different jumps down the tumble track which really works your legs after being on the trampoline.

I can now do my front tucks consistently off the tumbletrack onto the mat, so I'm hoping I can just simply do them on the track like my front handsprings. I'm hoping at some point I can connect the two, but we'll see. I also managed to stand up on the low bar and jump to the high bar, but I can't get over my fear of doing a squat on. I just put one foot up at a time. I'm afraid of going over the bar and face planting. I also did some level 4 vaults, and I can do some without such a pronounced pike, so I'm getting there. Back handsprings won't happen for a really long time yet, lol. I'm also trying to get over my fear of doing a back tuck on tramp too.

I also managed to stand up on the low bar and jump to the high bar, but I can't get over my fear of doing a squat on. I just put one foot up at a time. I'm afraid of going over the bar and face planting.
Me too! I can now climb on one foot at a time and jump. I've been working on a straddle on, but it's scary, so far I just do a cast to a sole circle dismount instead of trying to stand on the bar.

I also did some level 4 vaults
I'm also working on this vault!

I had a rough night on Monday so I'm hoping for better tonight. All I did tumbling wise was spotted standing back tucks and front halfs on the TT on a mat in the pit. Bars was pretty horrible. I only made about half my kips (which haven't been an issue in forever), only made 1 front hip and it wasn't pretty, and didn't manage a single squat-on. I'm blaming it on new grips that I'm still breaking in and the 1.5 condition session I went to the day before. Switching back to my old grips for one more night before I put them to rest.

Yay! Started tumbling on the rod floor again. Went much better than I excepted. Cast handstand has been close, but I've been finishing my practice on bars instead of starting it there, so I'm a little tired. I love gymnastics!!!!!!!

I haven't been in the gym in two weeks! I'm dying here, going through withdrawals! And I won't be able to go again until after labor day if I can't get someone to switch shifts with me, b/c I work 3-1130, the only downside to this job! However, BEFORE my extended leave of absence, I too was working on climbing up to the high bar, have it most of the time, and working on casting into a squat on, but I have a habit of still trying to climb onto the bar, even when I cast lol! Can't wait to go back and start working my FHS vault again and my BHS again too! Good job everyone else, keep up the good work!!

wow 3 years later and still a "this week I accomplished" thread :) glad it caught on!

This week I accomplished... Almost nothing. But I accomplished going BACK to the gym after an unplanned year off!! :) Hoping to start back more consistently in September.

~Katy

I'm glad I'm not the only coward who's afraid of a squat on! I don't know what it is, but they just freak me out.

I would MUCH rather do a release transition (whats it called when you do a straddle on and go around the bar, release and catch the high bar?) then do a squat on lol. Maybe I should start working on that!

we call those froggy circles when you go around the bar in tuck position. I think that everyone can do them but me! I want to learn them too. Every now and then I miss a squat on and this would save a lot of energy!

I'm closing in on my full twist. I know all I really need to do is twist earlier, but I'm so scared since hurting my knee.

[video=youtube;SouO_LQkZNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SouO_LQkZNM[/video]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back