A Non-Gymnast Coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you all feel about a coach who was never a gymnast? Is she qualified to teach/coach past level 2-3?? She's very young (20 yrs old) and is the "head coach". Thoughts anyone???

I guess I would like to hear a bit more background information on this matter. What sport did she do growing up, if any? Is she very actively seeking every and all training opportunities she can get? Is she open to critique and constructive criticism regarding her coaching style? What is she head coach of, Rec gymnastics or Team?

Some of the best coaches in the world have never done gymnastics themselves. In fact it can be a huge advantage to have never done gymnastics.

Most gymnast coaches learned to do the things they are teaching so young that they don't even remember learning them. A non gymnast learns to understand the mechanics of a skill at an age where they will remember. Gymnasts often just teach as their coaches taught them, non gymnasts develop their own style of coaching based on what the learn and observe and don't do things just because their coach does.

A non gymnast often can't do the skills so they are forced to understand them more mechanically and can often spot errors quickly.

I'd also like to know about this person's background before I pass any judgment. Also, as another poster stated, sometimes the best coaches are those who have never done gymnastics! At my daughter's previous gym, the bars/vault coach had never participated in gymnastics as he was growing up... so.... I think he really busted his butt to LEARN everything he could about the sport... i.e. attended all training/workshops/classes, got all the certifications he needed, etc. He is still young, but boy is he motivated to LEARN! He has also "interned" with other big name gyms during the summer to gain as much knowledge as possible. Someone here on CB once saw him at a meet and commented on how impressed they were with the way he coached the little L4/5's at a meet. Great coaches are MADE, I don't think it just comes "naturally."

Wow, Aussie- what a great perspective! I have never looked at this scenario that way. Perhaps I will be more careful when passing judgment about coaches experience in the future. Thank you for the much needed open mind on this subject.

I am not sure as to her training and such. All I can attest to is that last year our head coach of the Team was a former level 8 gymnast. I saw improvement almost every week in my daughter. This year my daughter has consistantly went down in almost all events and all around score each meet that they go to. And NO she does NOT take concerns, suggestions, complaints or criticism well. There are 3 other coaches that were former gymnasts but they have the head coach - non gymnast with our largest group of higher level girls. Most of the girls are not doing well this year and the judges said that they are losing points on their form. Just wondering if she doesnt have the know how, how can she teach it?

I can say that the WORST coach I ever had was once a high level gymnast. "You jump in the air and *does full turn jump* go like this!" is the least helpful way to teach a full ever.

I've known some excellent non-gymnast gymnastics coaches, & quite a few more who never did anything past compulsory level skills who were excellent instructors.

Often the best coaches are the ones who are willing to learn. Some non gymnasts walk in and try and educate themselves, they take on board suggestions and seek out learning opportunities. Then you have the coaches who spend half their time trying to hide the fact that they know nothing, ex gymnasts can be one of these coaches. These are the coaches to avoid.

In my experience, the better coaches have done gymnastics but I have only been at two clubs (one that I don't even remember my coaches name) so basically I can only judge on my current club. All the good coaches have been a high level gymnast we have several ex national team girls coaching who are all very good coaches, we even have some chinese national reps coaching who are phenomenal and then some other high level gymnasts who are all fantastic. Then there are the coaches that have never set foot in a gym ever and they teach even the basics wrong and well lets put it this way, they don't coach higher than level 2 and then rec.

Mary Lee did some gymnastics when she was young. then cheer in high school.:)

I am not sure as to her training and such. All I can attest to is that last year our head coach of the Team was a former level 8 gymnast. I saw improvement almost every week in my daughter. This year my daughter has consistantly went down in almost all events and all around score each meet that they go to. And NO she does NOT take concerns, suggestions, complaints or criticism well. There are 3 other coaches that were former gymnasts but they have the head coach - non gymnast with our largest group of higher level girls. Most of the girls are not doing well this year and the judges said that they are losing points on their form. Just wondering if she doesnt have the know how, how can she teach it?

I've known some fantastic coaches who trained national champions, although they were never gymnasts themselves. I've also known plenty of former and current gymnasts who coach and are abysmal at it. Like everyone else says, it all depends on the person's motivation to learn and improve. It sounds like this coach isn't motivated to improve and may be spending a lot of effort trying to hide what she doesn't know. It takes maturity and self-confidence to admit that you don't know as much as you want to, then ask for help. Since they girls are slipping in competition, I think it would be a good idea to tactfully approach the owner with your concerns. Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Bela Karoly never did gymnastics... and he coached Nadia

yes. but marta was the brains of all that coaching. not him.:) and of course credit to Nadia's original/1st/long time coach who is living in new york.

If memory serves, Bela was some other kind of athlete. Shotputter? I think he had to take gymnastics as part of his training or degree for PE or whatever it was in Romania (Master of Sport?)

There is a senior coach at our gym who was not a gymnast, as far as I know. Many years ago, when her daughter took up gymnastics, she became a judge, working her way up to Brevet judge. Being a top judge, she knows exactly what judges are looking for. Her daughter also became a top gymnast, and now they both coach.

Level 2-3 are non-competitive or at least can't go to States (if I am correct) anyway. But for the lower levels, I think it would be somewhat of an advantage. I find it difficult to teach roundoffs and cartwheels because I taught myself how to do very nice ones at quite a young age. So you'd have to learn the mechanics (or learn how to do a good one) at an age where you would remember how to do it.

I agree with "All Chalked Up". I coach 12 and 13 year olds at a jr. high that don't have much experience (from levels 1-5). Me and the other coach decided that I would take the more advanced group because I've done gymnastics since I was a toddler and I don't really know how to teach simple skills as well as she does because she didn't start gymnastics until 7th grade. As long as yall make sure this coach isn't teaching them incorrectly then I think it's fine!

I've met a few college coaches that have never done gymnastics and they are excellent coaches. I've coached high level gymnasts and I've never done gymnastics. I guess the catch is I know my limitations and when to just ask someone else if there is a skill I am not familiar with. I actually seem to offer a different view on quite a few skills since I have to break them down more than some who have done the skills and think it should just be easy to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back