Parents A Parents’ Expectations when a coaching change is made?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
When a coaching change is made, should it be the gym’s responsibility to notify the parents? My daughter’s coach is being moved out of the JO program and a new coach is being brought in. The coach that is being moved informed some of the parents and I found out this news from another parent. There has been no formal announcement from the HC or gym owners. They know that the news is out among the parents, but we still have not received any information about this.

I am not happy about the change as we loved DD’s coach, but I understand that it’s the gym’s right to decide who coaches what program and level. But I feel as though it was not handled correctly and have thought about voicing my disappointment on how it was handled.

Before I do, I just wanted to get some opinions from other parents and coaches/owners. Is it the gym’s responsibilities to inform team parents of coaching changes and what would be your expectations on how something like this should be handled?

@TumbleTimes4 That is a tough one. I think I would expect a group meeting with all the parents from the training group. In that meeting, I would expect to hear the reason for the move, as it may benefit all parties, and plans moving forward for the affected training group. I will admit that Dani is at her gym for the HC/Owner if he were to take a step back and become hands off we would be looking at other gyms unless of course, he brought in an equivalent coach with whom Dani bonded.

I wouldn’t expect any sort of notification based on our experiences, but I agree it would be nice. We lost a coach once the day before regionals (this was Xcel), and we’ve had multiple unexpected coaching changes over the years.

Agree that based on experience I wouldn’t expect much. Our gym went through a lot of changes this past year, along with coach changes. Quite a few coaches were added, without introduction. It would have been nice had they at least emailed ‘hey these are the new coaches’ and a little information about them.

We have never received a formal notification if existing coaches at the gym receive a new assignment (the old level 3 coach is now doing level 5). However, we have always received an email introducing a new coach to a gym (across both gyms we have been at). it is typically a little background on the coach and maybe where he/she did gymnastics in the past. But I certainly would not expect a meeting or anything more than an email.

Reactions: SMH
We have never received a formal notification if existing coaches at the gym receive a new assignment (the old level 3 coach is now doing level 5). However, we have always received an email introducing a new coach to a gym (across both gyms we have been at). it is typically a little background on the coach and maybe where he/she did gymnastics in the past. But I certainly would not expect a meeting or anything more than an email.

Yes, I think a email is generally sufficient. Parents would be more annoyed to be called in to a meeting that covers something that could be said in an email.

This is so disappointing to learn. We invest so much time and money into this sport that I figured at least an email should be sent. It just seems like common courtesy. I don’t necessarily even need to be given a reason. My DD just finished level 3 and she has been with the coach since preteam. She was supposed to stay with her through level 4. She loves her coach and has built great trust in her coach. She dose not handle change well and a heads up would have been nice to be able to prep her for the coming change. And with the current issues plaguing the sport, I think an introduction to the new coach isn’t unreasonable. I want to know who I am handing my child over too and at least be given their qualifications.

We don't hear why a coach left- and sometimes only know because they just aren't around for weeks and everyone guesses the coach is gone. They do announce new hires after the coach has been there a week or so and appears to be staying. I feel pretty strongly that both the coming and going of coaches (once it is official) is absolutely something the gym should communicate with parents. We trust our children with these coaches for many hours of their lives, and I want to know who my kid is with- and if someone suddenly leaves I would like some information on why.

We recently had a coach decide to stay at home were her new baby and I don't believe that any sort of formal announcement was made. I believe that the coach spoke to the gymnasts about her choice and when her last day will be. Other than that the only communication that has gone out was a help wanted ad on social media looking for a new coach. I only know about her leaving because I also coach and all of the employees were informed of her plan to leave.

I have been thinking about his thread. Here is where my thoughts lead me:

Watching the relationship between my daughter's training group and their coach I see that her coach is a good man with dreams for each athlete. He honestly wants each athlete to achieve their pinnacle in gymnastics. He does this with the expectations he sets, those expectations are very lofty and sometimes hard to fulfill.

More directly to this thread is If he can coach his athletes using this style I can surely set my expectations of what is required of his gym. Communicate changes to the gymnasts at a minimum.

At our gym, new hires are announced via email and at our annual show. One of the head team coaches switched programs, which was also announced the same way. I don't think much is said about coaches leaving- nothing for the rec coaches, but the only team coach that I can remember leaving I think was said at the show- she was going for further education.
However, while there is an understanding as to which coaches do specific groups, you can't be totally sure who will be coaching your child's group until schedules are handed out at the beginning of summer. And there could be changes for September which you will find out when the school year schedule is confirmed.

Watching the relationship between my daughter's training group and their coach I see that her coach is a good man with dreams for each athlete. He honestly wants each athlete to achieve their pinnacle in gymnastics. He does this with the expectations he sets, those expectations are very lofty and sometimes hard to fulfill.

I think here you are talking about optional vs. compulsory coaches. At our gym the compulsory coaches could all coach levels 3,4,5 and they are generally switched around each year and throughout the summer depending on schedules. Optional level coaches stick with their levels and events. And upper level optional coaches...well that's typically head coach territory and those types of changes are a big deal and can cause major shake up.

But for the OP, I think switching up of compulsory coaches often happens pretty regularly and gyms often don't communicate it as it expected.

Dd has been a competitive gymnast for 5 years. There have been multiple coaching changes during that time, with coaches coming, leaving, and switching training groups. I believe we have been formally notified of only 1 coaching change, when a long time coach was leaving to move across the country for family reasons. Otherwise, the only way we have known about coaching changes was to see new faces at the gym or if our kids told us.

I agree that I think gyms should send out an email to parents about new coaches, including their first and last names, brief bio, etc. I really like that my kids’ school always announces in the newsletter if any teachers are leaving and any new teachers that arrive, with a short bio.

Especially with a banned list, I think parents should know at the minimum, the first and last names of the coaches at the gym.

I think the lack of communication is pretty common at most gyms unfortunately. I coach and also have a child on pre team.

Some coaching changes are likely not announced because just like at any workplace, sometimes employees leave or are fired or have whatever circumstances and that really shouldn’t be a public matter. Yes, they work closely with your kids, but it is really none of your business why they are no longer there. What if they are having personal problems and have to step back or leave more permanently? Maybe they are fired for a situation with a coworker, or not showing up for their rec classes, or not doing behind the scenes parts of their job even though they are a great team coach?

Usually the gym is not going to tell you about that and they still want you and your child to have positive memories especially if the reason doesn’t really relate to that person’s coaching ability or work with your kids. Coaches are also people and they do have a right to privacy in these situations.

That being said, my gym does typically let people know they are no longer with us and that we wish them the best of luck, and we generally let parents know what our plan to cover everything is!

As far as switching coaches around, I would guess there is a good reason for them switching her out of the JO program- it could be simple like scheduling/ enjoying a different age or type of class, or it could be more complex and not something the gym wants to divulge especially if she is still coaching there in another program.

I think it would be ok to ask about it, but maybe not fair to be mad at the way it was handled- there may be more to it than you think. I would ask first, and then gauge your response from there- its pretty likely it wasn’t an intentional choice for the gym if it was unannounced. Maybe instead of saying you wish it was handled differently, saying “We would love more information on the new coach, we were not expecting this change and my daughter is having a hard time with it since it was unexpected!”

We have never had any kind of meeting or email about coaching changes, but each time it has been handled differently.

First gym we found out DDs coach was charged with sexual offences against gymnasts via a newspaper article. We left the gym on bad terms after that an the ensuing chaos.

2nd gym the head coach left for a new job and the gym decided to shut down the entire jo program. The owner called each JO parent personally and broke the news prior to gymnasts being told so we could prepare them if needed. Old coach made personalized goodbye cards and photo collages for each gymnast. We are still in touch with the coach and we left that gym on good terms.

Current gym I found out one of DDs coaches is leaving after summer because I stumbled upon the help wanted ad the day it was posted. I asked management about it and they apologized for not letting us know in advance and explained coaches reason for leaving (heading off to school far away). It could have been handled more proactively but I’m not losing any sleep over it.

It seems there are a whole spectrum of ways this is handled. Some horribly, some ideally, and some in the middle. I have learned to take a deep breath, look at the big picture, and try not to react in a way that will get me labeled a CGM.

When a coach is leaving the state, we know in advance and have a goodbye party.
If a coach is going off to college, her last day is announced... but she can come back on breaks and for the summers.
A new TEAM coach is introduced to the team (unless they already know her as a parent of a team member or a former teammate).
If a coach is fired, nothing is said.
If a coach quits with no notice, nothing is said either.

It kind of depends. In the lower levels (preteam, compulsories) no real notice goes out or anything like that. We have set coaches for each level (so we pass the gymnasts on to another coach as they level up). There is some overlap where some coaches work with other levels as well. In the years I have been at the gym, there has not been any sort of notice sent out whenever a coach has moved on. There is always a parent meeting at the beginning of a level where the coaches introduce themselves etc.
Even at the Optional level there have been assistant coaches that have kind of come and gone without much notice (if any) to the parents. For the newest one (who is expected to stay) there was a better introduction and advance notice, mainly because we really needed another full time Optional coach so it was a more anticipated hire.
I think if there is ever a “bigger” change there may be more of an announcement. I know before DD was on team, the previous HC stepped down and there was a big parent meeting held to discuss/announce that. Didn’t have anything to do with us at the time but I remember the team parents discussing it.

I think the lack of communication is pretty common at most gyms unfortunately. I coach and also have a child on pre team.

Some coaching changes are likely not announced because just like at any workplace, sometimes employees leave or are fired or have whatever circumstances and that really shouldn’t be a public matter. Yes, they work closely with your kids, but it is really none of your business why they are no longer there. What if they are having personal problems and have to step back or leave more permanently? Maybe they are fired for a situation with a coworker, or not showing up for their rec classes, or not doing behind the scenes parts of their job even though they are a great team coach?

Usually the gym is not going to tell you about that and they still want you and your child to have positive memories especially if the reason doesn’t really relate to that person’s coaching ability or work with your kids. Coaches are also people and they do have a right to privacy in these situations.

That being said, my gym does typically let people know they are no longer with us and that we wish them the best of luck, and we generally let parents know what our plan to cover everything is!

As far as switching coaches around, I would guess there is a good reason for them switching her out of the JO program- it could be simple like scheduling/ enjoying a different age or type of class, or it could be more complex and not something the gym wants to divulge especially if she is still coaching there in another program.

I think it would be ok to ask about it, but maybe not fair to be mad at the way it was handled- there may be more to it than you think. I would ask first, and then gauge your response from there- its pretty likely it wasn’t an intentional choice for the gym if it was unannounced. Maybe instead of saying you wish it was handled differently, saying “We would love more information on the new coach, we were not expecting this change and my daughter is having a hard time with it since it was unexpected!”

I don’t need to know why the change was made, I would just have appreciated a notice that they were making a coaching change. The coach told us herself that it was not her choice to be moved and now there are upset parents who are losing a beloved coach and do not know the new coach that they are handing their child over too. It just seems like it would have been a wise decision to get ahead of this and communicate with the parents.

Again I respect the gym’s right to make whatever coaching change they see fit and I don’t need to be given a reason for the change. However, given the time and enormous expense that we are investing, i don’t think it’s too much to ask that the gym notify us of a coaching change and introduce the new coach and her qualifications to us. It can be as simple as an email.

And I think they need to know that parents aren’t happy about the way it was handled. If we don’t convey that, then it gives them no incentive to improve their communication. There are other gym options available in the area and if you keep angering parents (this isn’t the first instance of poor communication) they will leave your gym.

I don’t need to know why the change was made, I would just have appreciated a notice that they were making a coaching change. The coach told us herself that it was not her choice to be moved and now there are upset parents who are losing a beloved coach and do not know the new coach that they are handing their child over too. It just seems like it would have been a wise decision to get ahead of this and communicate with the parents.

Again I respect the gym’s right to make whatever coaching change they see fit and I don’t need to be given a reason for the change. However, given the time and enormous expense that we are investing, i don’t think it’s too much to ask that the gym notify us of a coaching change and introduce the new coach and her qualifications to us. It can be as simple as an email.

And I think they need to know that parents aren’t happy about the way it was handled. If we don’t convey that, then it gives them no incentive to improve their communication. There are other gym options available in the area and if you keep angering parents (this isn’t the first instance of poor communication) they will leave your gym.

I agree with you completely. I don't think what you are asking for is unreasonable or difficult and I don't understand why some gyms (ours included) find it so hard to understand that. Why wouldn't they want to avoid the negative feelings and talk by simply communicating with their paying customers? It's just basic courtesy.

In the absence of information people fill in the blanks on their own. Communication from the gym just makes good sense so that they get the correct information out, rather than leaving rumors and speculation to fill that space.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back