Parents A thank you, an update, and a question RE: Summer Camp!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First off, thank you to everyone who took the time to read my last post and reply! We had a sudden, unexpected death in the family and I was unable respond as I usually would have. :(

I do hope you all could give me your quick opinion. My DD is currently on a noncompetitive level 3 'team' at a fairly competitive gym in our area. As I've mentioned previously, we have a couple of minor-ish concerns about our club... We have decided to stick it out through the L3 year and re-evaluate whether to stay/go at L4 tryouts.

Anyway, DD REALLY wants to go to the summer camp at her gym. Trouble is, our gym's camps happen to be THE two weeks she is unable to attend. :( She has VBS during the first offering and Girl Scout camp the second week.

Would it be committing treason for us to look at her attending at another gym? A couple of other gyms have weeks available that we're home for. An added bonus is that the "other gym" we were considering switching to at some point has a week that she is able to attend. :) It would be a double bonus - great opportunity for us to check out the gym and see what we think, and naturally, she gets to attend camp. She'd get to eat her proverbial cake.

But, I don't want this to cause trouble. Is this generally frowned upon? I considered e-mailing the team director, but I'd hate to do anything to upset her... After all, she'll be making L4 decisions in December if we decide to stay! But, I'd also hate for her to find out via the rumor mill. :( Not to mention, we'd have to beg off of team practice both days that week.

Thanks for your input!
Mamaoftwo

DD 6 year old L3 gymnast (Loves bars, though also currently terrified of "flipping"!)
DS 4 year old gym tot (Loves his coaches, and loves making up his own rotations as he goes! Not the greatest listener!)

If your DD's level/class is considered recreational, I would just go without saying anything. If it's considered "team", I'd probably just talk to them about it. When my DD was younger and just starting out in gymnastics she went to a camp at another gym. The camp she went to included gymnastics, but it was also open to kids who had never done gymnastics. A lot of the camp was centered around other things. It was not really a gymnastics camp exclusively. Her own gym had camps like that, but the times didn't work for us.

I personally would frown upon it. It could out you as "shopping" around, and like it or not families who are perceived as potentially disloyal will not be invited to team in some gyms.

I would say that if you want to do it approach your gym first and inquire if there is any possibility of them offering another session of camp as your DD would really like to attend but cannot attend the weeks it is offered.

And if she is already missing 2 weeks of practice for VBS and GS camps, plus maybe a family vacation, plus missing to attend camp at another gym. 3-4 weeks out of a 9 week summer is a lot to miss. Missing 1/3 or more of her total summer practices may not show the level of commitment your current gym is looking for.
Not sure if that is true for your gym, just saying.

I personally would frown upon it. It could out you as "shopping" around, and like it or not families who are perceived as potentially disloyal will not be invited to team in some gyms.

I would say that if you want to do it approach your gym first and inquire if there is any possibility of them offering another session of camp as your DD would really like to attend but cannot attend the weeks it is offered.

And if she is already missing 2 weeks of practice for VBS and GS camps, plus maybe a family vacation, plus missing to attend camp at another gym. 3-4 weeks out of a 9 week summer is a lot to miss. Missing 1/3 or more of her total summer practices may not show the level of commitment your current gym is looking for.
Not sure if that is true for your gym, just saying.

I think never has some valid points. Would this other gym's camp cause your dd to miss her regular practice at her own gym? If so, I would be reluctant to pursue it. In any case, always check with your own gym before sending your child to what can be seen as a rival gym.

I have to go with the honesty is the best policy answer. I would approach the coach tell her the situation you cannot come to your gym camp but feel like one would be beneficial for your dd. Do not forget coaches talk as well as 6 year old girls:) It would not be surprising if your dd told a coach we did the most fun thing at a gym camp I went to, if she is anything like mine:)

Really depends on your gyms policy. Our gym does not allow their athletes to attend camp at other gyms. This policy is mentioned in our team handbook. Our former gym had no problem with it. Of course, the former gym didn't bother to coach more than half the kids so maybe that's why they didn't care ;-).

I also would tread lightly if it is in close enough proximity to be competition. Then no matter what the policy, it will probably be frowned upon.

Is your daughter required to attend camp? Most gyms require their athletes to attend their camp whether or not they allow them to attend camp elsewhere. Perhaps you could re-schedule VBS or Girl Scout camp? You will find as she moves up the levels that you will need to move other activities around gymnastics. Good luck with everything.

Agree with the others who have said check with the gym policy and if you feel comfortable doing so, ask the gym. I personally would NOT go to a camp at another gym without checking and/or asking. Our gym has a policy stating if the girls even set foot in ANY OTHER GYM without permission, they can be immediately dismissed from team. Good luck! Hope you find a solution that works for you. Summers can get awfully full awfully fast, can't they? I am currently trying to juggles dance camp, team camp, tumbling camp, plain ole' camp, and family trips. Yikes!

thanks!

Thanks for your replies.

Well, DD only practices two days per week, and VBS is only half-day (mornings) so she would still be able to attend practice that week. Theoretically then, she would only miss class during GS camp week, but since that is her gym's camp week, she will not be missing any team practice - they do not hold any practices during their full-day camps. So, also no practice being held VBS week.

I am her primary Girl Scout leader, so it would be pretty frowned upon if she did not attend THAT camp lol. I will also be at that camp as it is volunteer-led.

We are also very careful about planning vacations around obligations, and I am proud to say DD has not missed a practice since she was sick a day last summer! We only have a couple of mini weekend getaways planned this summer (DH out of vacation time due to recent death in family), so she will not be intentionally missing any other summer classes.

At this level, camp is optional for her. She is considered recreational until June, (and follows that break schedule until then) and "team" thereafter. Her team started as a pre-team rec class, and they are transitioning slowly, as payments go to different areas of the gym (separate rec and team budgets, I guess).

I think I will mention to her coach that DD is really interested in camp, but that the weeks don't work, and get her opinion. Based on age alone, she could technically go to the half-day camp at her gym (4-8 yr olds), but that is really geared more toward the inexperienced kiddos. But maybe that would work (some of her teammates will be at that camp as their ages don't qualify them for the full-day camp, which begins at age 6).

Again, like I first mentioned, I don't want to cheat here, I was just wondering if it was a common thing to try various camps or if it was frowned upon!

Thanks!
Mamaoftwo

I agree with Nevertooold's advice and I would add that team gymnastics is a huge commitment for your dd and for the rest of your family as well, and as she advances it becomes more and more intense. You will find that just isn't time for other activites such as girl scouts, band camp, school sports, etc. DD currently practices 4 hrs a day, 6 days a week, 51 weeks a year and every family vacation that we have taken in the past ten years has been designed around a gymnastics meet. Good luck to you and your dd with your decision.

Thanks, Gymdad2 for your reply. I understand your point completely, but for now, I am making a point to let my DD enjoy other activities, as I know that eventually if she keeps this up, she'll have some tough decisions to make. Currently, DD is only 6 years old and a L3, practicing 2 days per week. Certainly that's not too much to also enjoy scouts once-twice per month, with scout camp one week per year. She also still swims seasonally and does tennis and soccer in the summers if/when it fits within our schedule. As I stated in my above post, gymnastics does take precedence.

If she chooses to do these other activities over gym when that times comes, I will support her completely. The level of gymnastics that she pursues is her decision, as long as she remains safe and healthy, and she continues to perform well in school. If she keeps it up, I will happily drive her to every practice and take her to each and every meet, make no mistake. All the while understanding the sacrifice the whole family is going to make. I guess that's why I want to provide her with these other opportunities now. Why eliminate them now in anticipation of what's to come? Shouldn't she be able to enjoy being 6?

Mamaoftwo-
You're right, I think, to make sure that she has opportunities outside gym right now. Even though my daughter is a level 4, she is doing AYSO soccer this spring (one practice and game on Saturday). She'll do some other sports camps this summer for fun because she loves ALL sports and right now, her schedule allows for this. It'll get trickier as we go which is why I want her to have a chance to try other things now. I'd just be careful about other gym camps, just because you don't want her to pick up incorrect techniques. Good luck!

It does become harder to do other things but I also feel that if my DD is not exposed to other things then she may feel like she missed out on something. I do not want her to start resenting the fact that she has to give up so much for gymnastics. I even let my DD miss a meet when she was a Level 3 to go to a birthday party. The world did not come to and end!!

Thanks, Gymdad2 for your reply. I understand your point completely, but for now, I am making a point to let my DD enjoy other activities, as I know that eventually if she keeps this up, she'll have some tough decisions to make. Currently, DD is only 6 years old and a L3, practicing 2 days per week. Certainly that's not too much to also enjoy scouts once-twice per month, with scout camp one week per year. She also still swims seasonally and does tennis and soccer in the summers if/when it fits within our schedule. As I stated in my above post, gymnastics does take precedence.

If she chooses to do these other activities over gym when that times comes, I will support her completely. The level of gymnastics that she pursues is her decision, as long as she remains safe and healthy, and she continues to perform well in school. If she keeps it up, I will happily drive her to every practice and take her to each and every meet, make no mistake. All the while understanding the sacrifice the whole family is going to make. I guess that's why I want to provide her with these other opportunities now. Why eliminate them now in anticipation of what's to come? Shouldn't she be able to enjoy being 6?

I absolutely agree that a 6 yo should do other activites. My pont was 1st, be up front with your gym and ask about the camp. If going to another gym to attend their camp causes your dd to miss her regular practices at your gym, you might get some push back on the whole thing.
Good luck and hope dd has a fun summer---looks like its going to be a busy one!

Thanks, lhmom!

I think we'll likely skip gym camp this year, if necessary. Perhaps try the half-day camp just for the fun of it. :) Don't want to cause any added drama! lol. We'll stick to her current gym. :)

It sounds like you have already made a decision regarding camp so I will just say I'm sorry to hear about your family's recent loss. Be gentle with yourselves in your grief.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back