WAG AA vs each event medals in Washington state?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jjandia4

Proud Parent
This is an odd question...we moved here from CA where my older daughter competed in JO. At each meet they would give medals for each event and then AA. My youngest had her first competition today (JO level 3) and they only gave medals for AA. A friend told me meets her daughter participated in while in JO her in Washington only awarded AA medals...is that a thing in WA? I was really surprised.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think event medals are only required for level 4 and above. So, some meet hosts at the developmental levels choose to only award AA. It lets everyone get out of there a whole lot faster!

In WA State it depends on the meet, but all of the JO2 - JO4 meets we have been to have done AA only. JO5 and up some of the bigger meets will start doing event medals/ribbons.

The state handbooks sets the standard for the state level meet awards as: "Level 2-4 Achievement ribbons and All-Around placement. • Level 5-10 Event and All-Around placement." Most gyms follow this for the meets they host - AA only for levels 2-4 and then event and all-around for 5+. It really helps the awards ceremony go a lot quicker for those lower compulsory levels that have A LOT of athletes! We've been to 2 meets that give event awards at the lower levels and both had 2 1/2-3 hour awards ceremonies. It was torture!

Holy cow, all the meets we've been to award to 50% + 1 for all events and 100% for the all around and even with totally full sessions with 80 kids in them, it has NEVER taken that long.I'd say 30-40 minutes is pretty average, with notably awful ones clocking in at around an hour. Maybe our awards people are just well practiced in moving it along very quickly since we always award like that and no one wants to be there at that point?

We were at one meet that had a full session and awarded 100% on every event and it STILL wasn't 2 hours, even though it was torturously long.

The state handbooks sets the standard for the state level meet awards as: "Level 2-4 Achievement ribbons and All-Around placement. • Level 5-10 Event and All-Around placement." Most gyms follow this for the meets they host - AA only for levels 2-4 and then event and all-around for 5+. It really helps the awards ceremony go a lot quicker for those lower compulsory levels that have A LOT of athletes! We've been to 2 meets that give event awards at the lower levels and both had 2 1/2-3 hour awards ceremonies. It was torture!
Meets in our state give event medals to 50% at all levels, usually AA medals to all(sometimes just 50%) and last an average of 30 min. I have never seen an awards ceremony last over an hour, I can’t imagine it.

Holy cow, all the meets we've been to award to 50% + 1 for all events and 100% for the all around and even with totally full sessions with 80 kids in them, it has NEVER taken that long.I'd say 30-40 minutes is pretty average, with notably awful ones clocking in at around an hour. Maybe our awards people are just well practiced in moving it along very quickly since we always award like that and no one wants to be there at that point?

We were at one meet that had a full session and awarded 100% on every event and it STILL wasn't 2 hours, even though it was torturously long.

I highly suspect it was management. Those 2 meets were by far the exception to all others. They also had a small number (8-10) of girls in each age category, which was ridiculous and caused things to take longer. In addition, the longest one gave placement to all. So every girl went up 5 times! Most meets are more like 20 in each age group and only go out 50%.

We're in WA (hi!) and about to start competing L4. It's unusual to get event medals in L2-L4, as other people have mentioned. We only went to one meet last year that did event medals, and it was in Oregon. It definitely makes for efficient medal ceremonies, though it also makes the usagym app very popular so parents and coaches can check event placement. ;)

Yep, ditto what everyone else said. You won't see many WA meets do individual event medals until optionals. It used to bug me, but now when I see a meet is doing event medals I groan inside because that means the awards will be at least twice as long. lol.

I'm in WA. Most meets just award AA but there were a few last year that awarded event medals. It's also common to have one judge's choice award per event (one from all 80 girls, not each age group).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back