WAG AAU vs USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What is the difference in competing compulsories through AAU vs USAG? I've noticed more & more gyms competing AAU when we go to meets.

I think that they are doing AAU because for level 3 the AAU bar routine is better (no mill circle, you jump to high bar). It is still is way less used in my area than USAG; but I totally understand why some gyms choose it.

I think that they are doing AAU because for level 3 the AAU bar routine is better (no mill circle, you jump to high bar). It is still is way less used in my area than USAG; but I totally understand why some gyms choose it.

How do you know what the routines are? Is there some sort of COP for AAU? I have zero experience with this.

How do you know what the routines are? Is there some sort of COP for AAU? I have zero experience with this.

I just remember when the new routines came out and for a brief moment my YDD was going to compete AAU L3 when my ODD had competed USAG3 the season before. I'm not sure where they have it written down; but I bet that you can find examples on youtube. The main difference that I remember is that for AAU there is no mill circle (or shootthrough) and i think that there may not have been a front hip circle. Instead the girls jump to the high bar and do a long hang pullover. I think that the other routines are all the same, I think that they might even use the USAG music.

I just remember when the new routines came out and for a brief moment my YDD was going to compete AAU L3 when my ODD had competed USAG3 the season before. I'm not sure where they have it written down; but I bet that you can find examples on youtube. The main difference that I remember is that for AAU there is no mill circle (or shootthrough) and i think that there may not have been a front hip circle. Instead the girls jump to the high bar and do a long hang pullover. I think that the other routines are all the same, I think that they might even use the USAG music.
Many of the routines are the same, but AAU is better for the transition to higher levels.

Level 1 beam has a different mount.

Level 2 and 3 have repulsion requirements for vault while USAG does not. Repulsion is required in every level from 4-10, so why not train it from the beginning? Also, levels 1-3 vault runs are not allowed to be judged in AAU, whereas they are judged in USAG.

Level 2 bars does not have a mill circle, which is WONDERFUL! They never use it after compulsories, so why torture them with this skill for 2 years?

Level 3 bars does not have a front hip circle, a mill circle, or a backward leg cut through. Level 3 does a BHC, cast squat on, jump to high bar, long hang pullover, counter swing, tap swing, counter swing, straight drop dismount. The coach is required to stand between the bars for the whole routine.
Level 3 floor is the same except instead of a HS to bridge BKO (tick-tock), they do a handstand to bridge-front limber to standing; or a front walk over to closed feet (2 feet together, not a lunge).

There are some things that cannot be deducted in AAU that must be deducted in USAG.

Overall, the transitions are better in AAU.

I have had daughters who competed both, and I judge both, and I like AAU better for compulsories.

Is there a difference between AAU and USAG in optionals or doesnt that exist in AAU?
there is AAU Xcel, but I don't know of any optionals. There used to be levels 4 and 5, and there may still be, but it has dwindled out because AAU gymnasts still have to score out of USAG 4 & 5 to move up to optionals. Our gym used to compete them, but the added cost of a 2nd registration and finding a score out meet after State meet added to them just competing USAG 4 after Level 3.

Is there a difference between AAU and USAG in optionals or doesnt that exist in AAU?
Here are the Levels / Divisions offered in AAU:
Girls Gymnastics National Competition Rules & Skill Divisions AAU Gymnastics for girls offers both Optional and Compulsory Skill Divisions as follows:
Optional Skill Divisions
  • Open Optional (LO)

• Level 8 (L8)

• Level 7 (L7)

• Level 6 (L6)
    page11image2092
  • Xcel Diamond (LD)

• Xcel Platinum (LP)

• Xcel Gold (LG)

• Xcel Silver (LS)
  • Xcel Bronze (LB)
• Ladies Divisions - All (19 and older)

Compulsory Skill Divisions
  • Level 5 (L5)

• Level 4 (L4)

• Level 3 (L3)

• Level 2 (L2)

• Level 1 (L1)
There are a few differences in Optionals too.
• Balance Beam and Floor Exercise routines are not timed during competition – all levels, thereby eliminating all time infraction deductions.
• Athletes may use an alternative springboard apparatus on vault, for all AAU levels with no penalty. The apparatus should resemble the shape of a traditional vaulting board, with a maximum of 15 inches at the high end and a maximum of 4 inches at the low end. The surface producing the “spring” may be other than the traditional coil springs, such as an air bladder or small trampoline bed. This vaulting board variation may not be used for any Yurchenko style vaults (vault group #4 at any licensed event district or nationals). Round Off Entry vaults, the vaulting board must have the Safety Zone Mat in place or vault will be Void

Levels 6 and 7 - The Current USA rules with modifications as written in Quick Reference section of this document.

Level 8 – The current USA rules with modifications as written in Quick Reference section of this document or stated below in reference to specific events.
• Clarification Vault – A gymnast may take two vaults, the better score counts. If a gymnast performs as her first vault a Tsukahara or Yurchenko type vault – (flipping) and DOES NOT land on her feet or if vault is facilitated by the coach resulting in a zero as decided by the judging panel, the gymnast is allowed to perform a second NON-SALTO vault for a score.
• If a gymnast performs as her first vault, a Tsukahara or Yurchenko type vault and lands on the soles of her feet and receives a score, she may perform a second vault, salto or non salto, the better of the two scores will count
• Spotting Post Flight is same as USA -1.00 (not void) – Spotting Landing -.50
o If the coach facilitates the entire vault at the judge’s discretion, the vault will result in a Void Vault.

Open Optional – AAU Open Optional Level applies the USA Level 9 rules
  • applying Level 10 Bonus
  • D & E Level Skills are permitted
  • Gymnasts may use an alternative springboard apparatus without penalty on all vaults except Yurchenko style vaults

This is all so interesting! I never knew of this until last year. Every gym I've been in has only ever done USAG. This is definitely something to consider!

"they" say that aau judges easier than USAG and I do think (in my area) this is true for Xcel; but I'm not sure if it is true for compulsories. I do think that at L4 most gyms swap to USAG.

I think AAU is less "serious" than USAG, so kind of like Xcel from that standpoint. Less hours maybe?
Nope, nope, nope! It's not easier and no way like Xcel. The routines are almost exactly like USAG, with just a little deviation. Bars for Level 2 has no mill circle--because who needs it? and Level 3 bars go to the high bar and use tap swings instead of focusing on the mill circle for a second year. Also, vault has angle of repulsion starting in Level 2, and USAG and Xcel do not. USAG doesn't have angle of repulsion until level 4. And it is definitely not easier or less serious. There are just some things that don't get deducted, like the run in vault. And not less hours either.

My dd's gym competes AAU because it is a better transition to the higher levels.

I think it depends on the State/area. AAU is very popular in my State. It even has its own special name here. However, the gyms in this area have primarily used AAU as a less intense team program, more like Xcel. Many still use AAU this way, although some have transitioned to Xcel. At DD's old gym, the non-JO girls often compete a combination of Xcel and AAU. Hours were less (6-12/week). Last year, my DD competed a full Xcel Bronze season + a few AAU L3 meets later in the spring (the AAU season starts later here). We found judging to be a bit easier at the local AAU meets we attended (e.g., DD got a 9.7 on floor in AAU, while usually scoring around 9.2-9.4 on floor in Xcel), however I didn't find the scoring quite as generous at the regional level. It was also my experience that the meets were smaller and level of competition wasn't as fierce as we've seen this year in USAG JO. There are regional/area and national AAU meets but no minimum scores are required to advance (there are just attendance requirements). But again, all of this is just based on my own experience in one State.

I think it depends on the State/area. AAU is very popular in my State. It even has its own special name here. However, the gyms in this area have primarily used AAU as a less intense team program, more like Xcel. Many still use AAU this way, although some have transitioned to Xcel. At DD's old gym, the non-JO girls often compete a combination of Xcel and AAU. Hours were less (6-12/week). Last year, my DD competed a full Xcel Bronze season + a few AAU L3 meets later in the spring (the AAU season starts later here). We found judging to be a bit easier at the local AAU meets we attended (e.g., DD got a 9.7 on floor in AAU, while usually scoring around 9.2-9.4 on floor in Xcel), however I didn't find the scoring quite as generous at the regional level. It was also my experience that the meets were smaller and level of competition wasn't as fierce as we've seen this year in USAG JO. There are regional/area and national AAU meets but no minimum scores are required to advance (there are just attendance requirements). But again, all of this is just based on my own experience in one State.

Xcel is not the same as AAU compulsories, you can't compare the two. Xcel is always scored higher and more lenient in general. AAU does have required scores for state meets for compulsory, but AAU Xcel just has to have competed in 2 meets. In our state, AAU compulsory competition is just as serious and fierce as USAG. If your dd got a 9.7 on floor in AAU compulsory, you can't equate that or compare it to Xcel scoring, because it's like comparing apples and oranges. Xcel is an optional-type division, while compulsories are compulsories. They also have Novice and Experienced divisions at the state meet for level 1 and 2 based on AA scores during the season. Those gymnasts who scored 36.00 AA two times must compete in the experienced division, while the others compete Novice. And the novice division has more gymnasts than the experienced division.

I totally agree that the scoring in Xcel vs AAU Level 3 is not really comparable given the differences in the programs... I was just surprised to see that my DD actually got higher scores in the AAU compulsory program.

In any event, I certainly did not mean to start an argument! I guess I just wanted to share that my experience with AAU (in a different state and different AAU district) was different than what you described. I thought it was worth mentioning so that the OP would know that AAU may be treated differently in different states. In fact, a quick look at the AAU handbook suggests there is some flexibility in the rules for its districts (regarding competitions, the handbook says that modified rules may apply as adopted by each district and approved by AAU). That's all... just a slightly different personal experience. I am in no way questioning the competitiveness or value of AAU in your state!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back