WAG About L7 Vault, how about a Yami 1/2?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
DD can do a decent FHS vault, but she is pretty small and struggles with the 'power' aspect. She frequently will do her FHS with a slight arch and snap to hollow right after she hits the vault table to increase the rebound. It seems she could have an easy time pulling off a Yami since there is a pike and snap to hollow. Also she is a good twister.
She is currently training tsuks, and is being introduced to yurchenko (first phase only).
Would it make sense to TRY something like the Yami 1/2 instead of the FHS, or Tsuk?
i have no idea how often this vault is used, and if there are any pitfalls with the judging so does anyone have any experience with this vault?

PS It is up to the coach....but an idea never hurts!

I think the main reason it's not done much on the girls' side is that so few girls progress toward FHS entry vaults. Many more boys do hand fronts and progressions beyond that, for which I understand some coaches find the Yami to be a useful training device. I saw a lot of Yamis and Yami halfs at boys' L7 and L8 states. Some of the Yami halfs outscored weak tsuks.

If the plan is for her to progress to Tsuk and then Yurchenko, I'm not sure if it makes sense to bother with developing a good Yami that she would only compete for a year anyway. But hopefully the knowledgeable coaches will weigh in on this! Just an interested observer here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back