Coaches Accepting athletes back after switching gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ozonelakesgymnast

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hey,
I'm stepping into a new role as a competitive teams director, formerly was just an optional coach. This gym had a handful of girls leave for a competitor gym before I was hired. Parents said they would come back, but now they are planning on competing for this gym. A few of the parents are expecting they. b come back if t doesn't work out. This doesn't sit with me well and I do not want to take those kids back. One of their parents is even on the board! Does anyone have experience with this??? What would you do? They have known the gym has a new director for a few months now, and want to try competing for this other gym only to come back if it isn't good. Seems odd to me.

I typically don't take them back unless its for a reason like
"The drive is just too far, we need something closer...... okay we tried it and they suck can we come back".
I also won't take them back if they leave on a negative note. Other than that I get bummed when parents take kids to other gyms, (and that is what it is). But I don't dwell on it. I am always friendly with the kids and parents when I see them.

Take them back. You are always going to get people who think the grass might be greener on the other side, it is human nature so they go and try and find out that it's not greener at all.

If we have a family leave we always say "Not a problem, you need to do what you feel is best and the door is always open for you if you want to return". Usually about a month later we get a phone call asking if they can have their spot back.

If they are sitting there in your program feeling like something else might be better then it is better for them to go and try it, otherwise they are bringing a negativity into the gym which can spread. When they return they come back as your most loyal students, as now they see what else is out there and now they know that what they want is in your program after all.

Take them back. You are always going to get people who think the grass might be greener on the other side, it is human nature so they go and try and find out that it's not greener at all.

If we have a family leave we always say "Not a problem, you need to do what you feel is best and the door is always open for you if you want to return". Usually about a month later we get a phone call asking if they can have their spot back.

If they are sitting there in your program feeling like something else might be better then it is better for them to go and try it, otherwise they are bringing a negativity into the gym which can spread. When they return they come back as your most loyal students, as now they see what else is out there and now they know that what they want is in your program after all.

This is very positive, thank you. Do you feel the same if they left and then their spots have been filled with new athletes (girls who have moved to town and leveling up girls)? I'm just planning staffing for our year and find it a headache to break ratio just to take them back. I do really appreciate the positivity, it's a great outlook.

I typically don't take them back unless its for a reason like
"The drive is just too far, we need something closer...... okay we tried it and they suck can we come back".
I also won't take them back if they leave on a negative note. Other than that I get bummed when parents take kids to other gyms, (and that is what it is). But I don't dwell on it. I am always friendly with the kids and parents when I see them.

I'm definitely feeling this on the negative leaves...they just haven't made any attempt to communicate or keep me in the loop, which is fine, but then they expect to come back. Our board is supportive of taking kids back, but that doesn't sit with me when I am planning staffing, practice groups/hours. These kids are commuting even further away to go to this rec gym.

I'm definitely feeling this on the negative leaves...they just haven't made any attempt to communicate or keep me in the loop, which is fine, but then they expect to come back. Our board is supportive of taking kids back, but that doesn't sit with me when I am planning staffing, practice groups/hours. These kids are commuting even further away to go to this rec gym.
Them traveling farther now would be one of the reasons @coachp listed as an exception - when they realize it is too far to drive (especially in bad weather).
However, if you would have ratio issues adding them back in, you would have to make sure the money they bring in is enough to cover extra coaches ... you need to maintain a safe and effective ratio.
Our gym welcomes people back, but our staffing and ratios change day to day, so it isnt like there has to be planning for the whole year. If we need an extra coach or 2, HC makes a call and they usually appear. We have several part-time / substitute coaches. If you are the coordinator, maybe you can look into something like that.

This is very positive, thank you. Do you feel the same if they left and then their spots have been filled with new athletes (girls who have moved to town and leveling up girls)? I'm just planning staffing for our year and find it a headache to break ratio just to take them back. I do really appreciate the positivity, it's a great outlook.

If there is no spot I put them on the waiting list. They are always grateful to even get the opportunity to,go on the waiting list, and they slot in when a spot comes up. If these gymnasts have left and and had the guts to turn around and come back then they will be prepared to wait.

Coach:gymnast ratio can be something we get a little to locked into. We have a very clear coach:gymnast ratio in all out red classes, but at the higher level it will vary. Having a hard and fast rule like 8:1 isn't always nessesary. A lot depends on the capability of the coach, the personalities of the gymnasts, the availability of equipment etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back