Parents ACL brace after surgery

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym mama

Proud Parent
My daughter has been cleared to start the long journey back to gymnastics after surgery to repair ACL/Meniscus. Her surgeon says she must wear a brace when she gets back to the gym. I've been researching athletic braces and I'm looking for feedback between a Donjoy or an Osssur brace and whether a pre-fabricated brace will do or should I go with a custom made? Any advice is greatly appreciated

My daughter has been cleared to start the long journey back to gymnastics after surgery to repair ACL/Meniscus. Her surgeon says she must wear a brace when she gets back to the gym. I've been researching athletic braces and I'm looking for feedback between a Donjoy or an Osssur brace and whether a pre-fabricated brace will do or should I go with a custom made? Any advice is greatly appreciated
We've had athletes come back from ACL tears very successfully with and without braces. I would strongly suggest asking the surgeon for their recommendation before going down that path. They may have a preference, but most have been pushing towards a custom-fit brace in my recent experience (coaching football and gymnastics) to provide maximum stability.

Custom. Your surgeon likely has a preference and if not, ask the PT if they have a recommendation. If still no lead, the surgeon should be willing to write a prescription for custom fit ACL brace and send you to an orthotist to discuss the best option for your kid. I really like DJO custom braces, but they can be really costly and often if you have it prescribed, insurance covers a large portion of the cost.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back