Acro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That was awesome!! My dd's gym has an acro team. I am curious about acro and I think that with my dd's background in cheerleading (she was a flyer) and now that she is doing artistic gymnastics that maybe later she may want to make the switch to acro. What are your thoughts on this? Have you seem many gymnasts/cheerleaders switch to acro?

I don't have any acro videos, but on my youtube page, I do have dd's gymnastics meets and her cheerleading stunting!! (see my signature below for youtube address).

Thanks for sharing the video--you are really good!!

I was an artistic gymnast for 7 years before I tried acro. The very first time I tried acro was when I had ruptured a fluid bubble in my knee and couldn't do much of anything in artistic so I tried it and I like it at first but I wasn't ready to give up artistic yet. But when a tore my ACL for the second time I was like ok enough but acro is great because you dont have to do much tumbling and the flips that the top does are all assisted by the base or bases. The great thing about acro is that it is much less time consuming that artistic the opportunites to excel are greater but sometimes it is hard to find a partner that you can stay with for a long time. For partner pairing you have to be a certain size or you will get a deduction...its not complicated once you figure it out but when you first get started in it its pretty confusing because it is so much different that artistic. I know many people that we gymnast that switched for various reason (tired of artistic, it wasn't fun anymore, they kept getting hurt, etc.) acro is a way to stay involved in gymnastics if she still likes it but wants to try other things as well until she would get to a certain level like 9 or 10. I don't know of any cheerleaders that have switched to acro but im sure it wouldn't be much of a difference because cheer is actually more like acro that artistic is especially for the flyer. Acro is a great addition to the gymnastics community and it is extremely amazing to watch the elite athletes compete. It is also much harder than it looks suprisingly!

I just started acro and i LOVE it so much
i'm doing level 4 in australia in a womens pair team
i did artistic for 10 years and moving into acro has been a big change but it's so good
i love being able to have someone there with you rather than having to go through everything by yourself.
i also coach WAG and my partner is younger than me, i love being able to help guide her through and tell her what everything is like
:)

While I've never done acro in the strictest sense, I was in a circus for 2 years where I did what we called "hand balancing." Basically, it was the slower parts of acro gymnastics. I switched between being base and middle in a female trio. I miss it so much.

While I've never done acro in the strictest sense, I was in a circus for 2 years where I did what we called "hand balancing." Basically, it was the slower parts of acro gymnastics. I switched between being base and middle in a female trio. I miss it so much.

at my club we get people from the circus to come in and help us with our partner work :)

I started Acrobatics at 14 but I'm not competing yet. Maybe next year.
Anyway, I don't know wich level am i on. This is what I can do:

1. Cartwheel (Left Hand first)
2. One-handed Cartwheel (Left Hand/Right Hand)
3. Round-Off
4. Rolls (bk and ft tuck, bk and ft straddled, bk pike, dive roll)
5. Headstand & all tipes of headstand (as long as i want)
6. Handstand (3 seconds)
7. Handstand to front roll
8. Back roll to handstand
9. Bridge
10. Backbend
11. Back Walkover
12. Front Limber
13. Front Walkover
14. Back Limber (on the spring mat)
15. Front Handspring
16. ALMOST a side-split (left leg front, right leg back)
17. Headstand to Handstand

Can you tell me which level am I on and what I need to learn before moving to the next level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back