Add Yang Yilin to the list of possible underage gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is such a shame if it is true. Gymnasts all over the world work their entire young lives to do what they love and to compete at such a prestigeous event that they dream of. And then you have stories like this that just ruin it for these young girls. It is so sad.

Last edited:
Is this the point where we have to stop and ask ourselves "is this really going on or is someone trying to mess with our heads?" He Kexin has been a long time coming-I think it started when she got the first 17, maybe sooner. If they are the wrong age, it sucks. And if they are the right age, it still sucks, because now everyone's gotten themselves all psyched up over nothing.

Is this the point where we have to stop and ask ourselves "is this really going on or is someone trying to mess with our heads?" He Kexin has been a long time coming-I think it started when she got the first 17, maybe sooner. If they are the wrong age, it sucks. And if they are the right age, it still sucks, because now everyone's gotten themselves all psyched up over nothing.

well, either that or China needs to keep better track of their own General Administration of Sport of China website where they list their athletes along with their b-days. :p That is where the discrepancy is coming from...

As I said in a previous thread, rules are rules and they should either be obeyed to make it fair for everyone, or they should be changed using proper channels (and no i'm not implying that a rule violation has taken place in this case since I dunno the facts).

I think we should have age limits, but that they should be lower. I most definitely think gymnasts like He Kexin should be competing, because they are amazing gymnasts. Just so happens gym is a "young" sport with most athletes reaching their peak while they are still teenagers. So lets try to get as many of the best gymnasts in the world to compete.

I agree there needs to be an age set for the Olympics. 15 or 16 seems fine to me...14 might be pushing it. Obviously in all sports there will always be an exceptional young athlete, but I would hate to see them lower the age & in turn little girls in gyms all over the World would be pushed to do more at even younger ages than they already are now. There are girls in my DD's gym (same age, 7) now doing TOPS and HOPES. Going to gym for about 16+ hours a week. Won't the *great* ones still be great when their bodies and minds have matured? Does younger always mean better?

I love the Olympics and look forward to watching it, but rules are rules and everyone should have to follow them. I'm sure they want these younger girls to compete now because in another couple years they will be injured going at the rate they are going.

I agree there needs to be an age set for the Olympics. 15 or 16 seems fine to me...14 might be pushing it. Obviously in all sports there will always be an exceptional young athlete, but I would hate to see them lower the age & in turn little girls in gyms all over the World would be pushed to do more at even younger ages than they already are now. There are girls in my DD's gym (same age, 7) now doing TOPS and HOPES. Going to gym for about 16+ hours a week. Won't the *great* ones still be great when their bodies and minds have matured? Does younger always mean better?

I love the Olympics and look forward to watching it, but rules are rules and everyone should have to follow them. I'm sure they want these younger girls to compete now because in another couple years they will be injured going at the rate they are going.
Great post I agree 100%!!!

Either we have to figure out some way to inforce rules, or they shouldn't exist. It's not fair for all the 15-year olds with January birthdays to be ineligible, while a 14 year old glides right on through.

I agree. I don't think the point is whether 14 year olds should compete. The point is that there are rules to be followed and they are not being followed nor enforced.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back