Parents ADHD or Just Naughty

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I realise that this is not the place to come for "medical advice" but I have been having concerns about my youngest dd's behaviour. I am hoping that those with children who have ADHD can give me some advice, I am unsure wether to go the the doctor or wether it will be a waste of time.

Background:
As a baby my dd never settled at night, always was a crier (screamer) and never smiled at strangers, as she she got a little older she used to hate certain situations and whilst on holiday she used to scream so much in the restaurant I had to leave. Fast forward to now she has always been "naughty" at home, these are things I have noticed:

Cannot sit still very long unless in the right mood
Always butts into conversations (interrupts a lot)
Always shouts when she to talks (hearing is fine)
She rubs my arms and kisses my arms or head even when asked to stop
Never accepts responsibility for what she has done wrong, says it is not her fault.
Has periods when she gets over excited
Very flighty
Fidgety
Talks a lot, even to herself (cannot seem to keep quiet)
She is always moving around (could be the gymnast in her)
Has a quick temper and anything can set her off
She guesses some answers to questions (her words, she says she doesn't know and she guesses even though she gets it right)

I have always put these things down to being "a child" but as she is getting older it is not getting better, what annoys me is she is well behaved at school and is top of the class and is on the gifted and talented register for Reading Writing and Maths, she is also well behaved at gym except I have noticed that she looks like she is cream in some of the time and is not "with it", the coach has never mentioned that dd has any issues on gym. Because of her behaviour at school and gym I have always brushed dd's behaviour off as strong willed and naughty.

sounds like "a beautiful mind" to me. Genius can be a burden to some...yet a diamond in the rough to others. :)

I have adhd kids and yeah, the behaviors need to happen in multiple settings. Someone above said something about sensory issues- I agree with this. A couple of things you mentioned sound similar to spectrum kids. Hard to tell without seeing and knowing more. She is young yet - it may be nothing to worry about. If there is a real problem it will become more obvious as time goes on - you would notice more of a difference between her and her peers. Fingers crossed for you that she is just bright and fidgety. These developmental disorders are no fun, believe me!!

How is she getting along with her peers? Some of this behavior reminds me of my cousin with aspbergers, but as others have said he was difficult in all environments and drove his mother particularly crazy.

But I'm no expert.

I do think it's worthwhile to seek help if the situation at home is bad.

There might not be a diagnosis, but maybe you will learn more about your daughter and how to relate to her.

Thanks for all the reply's, all views have been appreciated. I have to apologise about the title of my thread, I didn't mean to sound as if I think children who have adhd or similar are naughty, I just didn't know how to word it.

We have an appointment tomorrow to discuss my youngest dd's "personality". I don't know if I mentioned it but my dd can get violent and can hit out when angry or frustrated, nothing is ever her fault. I have noticed that unless my dd is kept bus then trouble will start, perhaps that is why she behaves well a school and gym. My dd will misbehave if we are out or at home. Another thing is she finds it difficult to let go of something when she has her mind on it and keep repeating herself over and over again.

I am unsure wether or not anything will come from tomorrows appointment given the fact she is ok at school and gym (at the moment).

How is she getting along with her peers? Some of this behavior reminds me of my cousin with aspbergers, but as others have said he was difficult in all environments and drove his mother particularly crazy.

But I'm no expert.

I do think it's worthwhile to seek help if the situation at home is bad.

There might not be a diagnosis, but maybe you will learn more about your daughter and how to relate to her.

She seems to be fine with her school friends (she has been with them in the same class for a few years). My dd does seem to have issues with children she doesn't know or see very often and becomes withdrawn, at gym she is slowly opening up to the girls in her group and becoming more chatty (after being with then for 11 months), at dancing (once a week for 3 years) she s more withdrawn and clings to me.

My daughter will often cling to me, kiss my arms or top of my chest (even in public) and rub her face on me, I have asked her not to do it but she still does. I have told her that I hug is just for, it works for a day or so and then she sleep back in her old ways,

My dd also finds it hard to calm down from time to time.

Thanks for all the reply's, all views have been appreciated. I have to apologise about the title of my thread, I didn't mean to sound as if I think children who have adhd or similar are naughty, I just didn't know how to word it.

We have an appointment tomorrow to discuss my youngest dd's "personality". I don't know if I mentioned it but my dd can get violent and can hit out when angry or frustrated, nothing is ever her fault. I have noticed that unless my dd is kept bus then trouble will start, perhaps that is why she behaves well a school and gym. My dd will misbehave if we are out or at home. Another thing is she finds it difficult to let go of something when she has her mind on it and keep repeating herself over and over again.

I am unsure wether or not anything will come from tomorrows appointment given the fact she is ok at school and gym (at the moment).
Please! They are naughty!!!!!! ;)
I love my incredibly naughty, pain in the **s, but otherwise, very smart, quick thinking, industrious, creative, energetic, innocent, multitasking, conversational, sensitive, ADHD child.

I just give an advance warning to the teachers....(poor teachers)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back