Adopting the new BG levels?

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
Just wondering if all your regions are adopting the new BG levels. I think all regions will provide a qualification competition for Bronze, Silver and Gold in order to make a team for national finals in the Autumn but are your regions going to do the Zinc and Copper levels too.

I can't see why they wouldn't but I have heard some regions are not. If your region isn't doing them do you know the reason they have decided not to. I mean it has got to be such an advantage to be able to compete at competitions in different regions with the same rules and routines. I think it opens up lots of opportunities. I am wondering if there is something less favourable about them that I haven't spotted.

Does anyone else think it is weird that you can go up and down levels each year as you choose. So you could compete Silver one year and then drop to Copper the next? Do you think this will cause any problems?

And finally I think Bronze will be huge this year. Does anyone know if their clubs are putting anyone in Silver and Gold this time or not? I'm excited to see how it all develops.

I do like the fact that after such a long break from competition they start afresh in new levels. It's a very good time to move forwards with a new system.

What thoughts does anyone else have?

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
Fan
May 21, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I hadn't thought about dropping levels, but I presume that is there for cases of injury etc. I think there is always a reliance on gyms putting people in the right level, so I can't see that it makes the issue of sandbagging to win medals any different. I can see it being used as a threat by coaches to move gymnasts back down a level though.

It's a great time to start a new system but it will take some getting used to as a spectator. But we're unlikely to be able to watch for a while this year anyway, so maybe I'll get my head round it by next year.

Reactions: Jenny

Bex08

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Nov 12, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Are these replacing regional and national grades or running alongside?

Is the compulsory route still the same?

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
Are these replacing regional and national grades or running alongside?

Is the compulsory route still the same?
These are not changes to grades. This is a national set of voluntary levels which will replace the regional levels each region developed independently.

The compulsory route is unchanged.

Agymnast

Proud Relative
Gymnast
Fan
Jul 11, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
I really like this new level system... I think the gyms in our area are planning to change. Do you know of any age restrictions etc for the different levels?

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
Jan 21, 2015
Scotland
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , Just jumping on , I havent been on this site for a couple of years so hope you are all well. I really like the idea of the new classic challenge cup but I do think there will be a few amendments made on the way as everyone gets used to this new route and what is working and what isn't.

We thought our daughter would be doing this comp but she is meant to be sitting compulsory 2 now in October, now she has her bar routine . Sadly dd rolled her ankle and we are waiting on the green light for her to begin training again so will only really giver her a couple of weeks , eek . Dd is already out of age but this is totally fine and she doesnt concentrate on age and she is really happy that there will be no more in and out of age .

There are some girls at her club who will sit the classic challenge and do compulsiry 2 next year she may be one of them for next year . There are also girls who have passed comp 2 and could well be going to British Champs .

Lots of options for gymnasts now , I am so glad dd is still in the sport and enjoying it .