Adopting the new BG levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Didn't realise compulsory 1 has been scrapped - makes sense after last year

On another note, my daughter mentioned that the bar height had been raised for all gymnasts effective immediately - is this correct?
yes the bars have been raised 5 cm

I noticed that one or two national pathway gymnasts appear to be competing at this years British who as far has I can see have not passed either compulsory 2 in 2021 or reached the last two Challenge Cup qualifying scores in 2019 and 2021.

Is there another way for gymnasts on the national pathway to gain entry to the British under special circumstances that their respective clubs have bought to the attention of BG?

I did notice this piece from a 2018 Challenge Cup publication from BG concerning qualifying scores for the British :-

“At the discretion of the National Coaches a gymnast that has excelled on any piece of apparatus could be invited to compete at the British Championships the following year”

Maybe there are other considerations also that might constitute an exception?

Can somebody also confirm if NDP Comp 2 can now be taken at any age by a gymnast resulting in entry to the British if the pass mark is achieved? If so would an older National pathway Gymnastic who has passed all national grades have to start at the Comp 4 level and work forwards?

Thank you

To answer part of my own question...although of course I might be wrong , it seems there is no such thing as in age or out of age anymore and that a national gymnast can start at Compulsory 3 in order to hopefully progress to the British.

I'm not sure about the first 2 questions but I believe that moving forward a gymnast has to pass Compulsory 4 and 3 before moving on to Compulsory 2. (It used to be Compulsory 3 was the first level that you had to pass).

New entrants to the British will have to pass Compulsory 2 and Voluntary 2 in the same year to be eligible.

I noticed that one or two national pathway gymnasts appear to be competing at this years British who as far has I can see have not passed either compulsory 2 in 2021 or reached the last two Challenge Cup qualifying scores in 2019 and 2021.
Well that is interesting. You could also qualify by coming top 3 at Challenge last year in 2021 even if you didn't make the Challenge qualifying score. Could it be from that? Without knowing who you are talking about I can't check. But most of those 9 who came top 3 did compete. Jessica Cashman from Tolworth did very well coming top 20.

I'm not sure about the first 2 questions but I believe that moving forward a gymnast has to pass Compulsory 4 and 3 before moving on to Compulsory 2. (It used to be Compulsory 3 was the first level that you had to pass).

New entrants to the British will have to pass Compulsory 2 and Voluntary 2 in the same year to be eligible.
Thanks for your reply.

I understand regarding the Compulsory 2 grade pass for entry into the British but was unaware that the Voluntary 2 also played a part. What has the “pass” score been set at for Vol 2 ?

In April 2021 there was a BG announcement that there was no requirement during that year and 2022 to pass Compulsory 4 to progress to Compulsory 3 so that is why I have assumed that any gymnast can start their journey (subject to minimum age ) towards the British at Compulsory 3.

I'm not sure when the requirement to pass Compulsory 4 is coming into force, I assumed it was 2022? I don't think the Voluntary 2 pass mark has been set yet but I've not checked the handbook, it may be in there.

Well that is interesting. You could also qualify by coming top 3 at Challenge last year in 2021 even if you didn't make the Challenge qualifying score. Could it be from that? Without knowing who you are talking about I can't check. But most of those 9 who came top 3 did compete. Jessica Cashman from Tolworth did very well coming top 20.
Yes indeed Jenny, as well as Jessica Cashman’s 16th place finish at espoir , the five girls that went on to compete at the British Senior level from the Junior and Senior levels of the Challenge cup did very well as first timers also. Indeed all the junior girls from 2021 Challenge Cup had to raise their game in more ways than one at the British as they completed at their new senior level.

Tara Donnelly finished 23rd followed by Junior challenge cup qualifier Madeline Marshall at 28th. Then the other girls finished at 41st ,44th and 46th out of a field of 68.

As you know I have been arguing the case for some slight “easing” of the Challenge cup qualification scores for quite some time . I like the idea that the top 3 qualify irrespective of score , although I appreciate that it might be prudent that an absolute minimum qualifying “safety net” score be set.

It is lovely to see those girls rewarded after their many years of dedication and hard work. As they say, “ the proof is in the pudding” and this years girls have shown they were more than worth their place.

I really hope BG take this on board and keep this rule in place going forward but I have to say I’m not holding my breath !

Thanks for your reply.

I understand regarding the Compulsory 2 grade pass for entry into the British but was unaware that the Voluntary 2 also played a part. What has the “pass” score been set at for Vol 2 ?

In April 2021 there was a BG announcement that there was no requirement during that year and 2022 to pass Compulsory 4 to progress to Compulsory 3 so that is why I have assumed that any gymnast can start their journey (subject to minimum age ) towards the British at Compulsory 3.
no pass score has been set yet for compulsory 2 or vol 2 for 2022.

Compulsory 4 must be passed from next year 2023.

I'm not sure when the requirement to pass Compulsory 4 is coming into force, I assumed it was 2022? I don't think the Voluntary 2 pass mark has been set yet but I've not checked the handbook, it may be in there.
You have to pass compulsory 4 from 2023.
No pass mark has been set yet for compulsory 2 or voluntary 2. I expect the compulsory 2 mark will be set in the next few weeks.

Reactions: rd7
Almost a week until compulsory 2 and the pass mark is still to be confirmed.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?

The pass mark has been announced, but they haven't confirmed the criteria for qualification to the British

Almost a week until compulsory 2 and the pass mark is still to be confirmed.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?
I think it's 53.5 to pass with 11 on range but this doesn't qualify you to the British.

So a lower score than before but the grade is slightly harder. There are 3 rounds of compulsory 2 but I think a lot will drop out on the day.

I think it's 53.5 to pass with 11 on range but this doesn't qualify you to the British.

So a lower score than before but the grade is slightly harder. There are 3 rounds of compulsory 2 but I think a lot will drop out on the day.
Do you think there will be a lot of drop outs because gymnasts aren’t ready, or from injury?

no pass score has been set yet for compulsory 2 or vol 2 for 2022.

Compulsory 4 must be passed from next year 2023.
Does this mean that gymnasts can enter compulsory grade 3 in 2023 without having passed comp 4 this year? Or that this was the last year with leeway?

Does this mean that gymnasts can enter compulsory grade 3 in 2023 without having passed comp 4 this year? Or that this was the last year with leeway?
This year was the last year. I suspect a lot of girls will be trying to pass 3 in the autumn at a regional retake. I have also heard lots of ideas about how compulsory will be structured from next year. I think there might be quite a few changes. I have heard an idea that only espoirs and younger will be able to take compulsory 2 and Junior age and older (ie the year they turn 14) will have to qualify to the British via other means. But I don't think I have seen anything concrete yet.

@Jenny do you know what the qualifying criteria is for those that have recently passed compulsory 2 in May 2022 for British Championships ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back