Adopting the new BG levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenny

Coach
Proud Parent
Just wondering if all your regions are adopting the new BG levels. I think all regions will provide a qualification competition for Bronze, Silver and Gold in order to make a team for national finals in the Autumn but are your regions going to do the Zinc and Copper levels too.

I can't see why they wouldn't but I have heard some regions are not. If your region isn't doing them do you know the reason they have decided not to. I mean it has got to be such an advantage to be able to compete at competitions in different regions with the same rules and routines. I think it opens up lots of opportunities. I am wondering if there is something less favourable about them that I haven't spotted.

Does anyone else think it is weird that you can go up and down levels each year as you choose. So you could compete Silver one year and then drop to Copper the next? Do you think this will cause any problems?

And finally I think Bronze will be huge this year. Does anyone know if their clubs are putting anyone in Silver and Gold this time or not? I'm excited to see how it all develops.

I do like the fact that after such a long break from competition they start afresh in new levels. It's a very good time to move forwards with a new system.

What thoughts does anyone else have?

I hadn't thought about dropping levels, but I presume that is there for cases of injury etc. I think there is always a reliance on gyms putting people in the right level, so I can't see that it makes the issue of sandbagging to win medals any different. I can see it being used as a threat by coaches to move gymnasts back down a level though.

It's a great time to start a new system but it will take some getting used to as a spectator. But we're unlikely to be able to watch for a while this year anyway, so maybe I'll get my head round it by next year.

Are these replacing regional and national grades or running alongside?

Is the compulsory route still the same?

Are these replacing regional and national grades or running alongside?

Is the compulsory route still the same?
These are not changes to grades. This is a national set of voluntary levels which will replace the regional levels each region developed independently.

The compulsory route is unchanged.

I really like this new level system... I think the gyms in our area are planning to change. Do you know of any age restrictions etc for the different levels?

Hi , Just jumping on , I havent been on this site for a couple of years so hope you are all well. I really like the idea of the new classic challenge cup but I do think there will be a few amendments made on the way as everyone gets used to this new route and what is working and what isn't.

We thought our daughter would be doing this comp but she is meant to be sitting compulsory 2 now in October, now she has her bar routine . Sadly dd rolled her ankle and we are waiting on the green light for her to begin training again so will only really giver her a couple of weeks , eek . Dd is already out of age but this is totally fine and she doesnt concentrate on age and she is really happy that there will be no more in and out of age .

There are some girls at her club who will sit the classic challenge and do compulsiry 2 next year she may be one of them for next year . There are also girls who have passed comp 2 and could well be going to British Champs .

Lots of options for gymnasts now , I am so glad dd is still in the sport and enjoying it .

Been a while since I’ve posted here, and a lot has changed due to Covid. Was reading the BG technical update and it now mentioned that from 2023 gymnasts will have to pass compulsory 4 before they can progress to compulsory 3. I heard also heard gym talk that the compulsory routines have slightly changed, it sounds like bg have compressed Compulsorys 1, 2,3 and 4 into compulsory’s 4, 3 and 2 and scrapped compulsory 1. I know that compulsory 2 now requires gymnasts to achieve a pass mark for range and conditioning to pass compulsory 2.
Can anyone elaborate on this, such as the new changes in all the compulsory grades.

There never used to be a compulsory 1 that is quite recent. They have adjusted some of the skills from Compulsory 1 into compulsory 2. I like that compulsory 2 bars is on a bar set and not a single bar. I like that you have to pass compulsory 4, I like that you can only do voluntary levels if you pass the compulsory grade. I love that they brought the range pass mark back like it used to be for all the compulsories.

Now I really want them to bring out a compulsory 5 and voluntary 5 which are set nationally and not by region.

There never used to be a compulsory 1 that is quite recent. They have adjusted some of the skills from Compulsory 1 into compulsory 2. I like that compulsory 2 bars is on a bar set and not a single bar. I like that you have to pass compulsory 4, I like that you can only do voluntary levels if you pass the compulsory grade. I love that they brought the range pass mark back like it used to be for all the compulsories.

Now I really want them to bring out a compulsory 5 and voluntary 5 which are set nationally and not by region.

I must have missed reading that bit in the technical update, gymnasts must have passed the relevant compulsory in order to compete at voluntaries. Does the pass mark for range and conditioning now apply across all compulsory grades and is all the new changes taking place this year ?

Reading the update it sounds like they have to have passed it that year too which is also sensible. They want to keep voluntary finals relevant to current gymnasts of that level as it is a pathway rather than an end point. And yes pass parks for range at all compulsory grades and yes I think this year. I think it's all a good idea.

Reading the update it sounds like they have to have passed it that year too which is also sensible. They want to keep voluntary finals relevant to current gymnasts of that level as it is a pathway rather than an end point. And yes pass parks for range at all compulsory grades and yes I think this year. I think it's all a good idea.
Thanks for this Jenny, do you know what the Range & Conditioning pass marks are for compulsory levels ?

11 for compulsory 2, 10 for compulsory 3, actually don't think there is one for compulsory 4 but you do have to now pass it which you didn't before.

I like that you can only do voluntary levels if you pass the compulsory grade.

I'm from another part of the world but curious about the UK system - I do have a little understanding, but know it can be complex to explain with regional variations/ different streams.

What is the difference between Compulsory and Voluntary? For example what are the requirements for a gymnast competing level three at a compulsory event and a voluntary event. Is compulsory like the peas and carrots and voluntary the dessert?

Compulsory has set skills on beam and floor and set routines on bars, vault and range.

Voluntary levels are modified FIG competitions.

So everyone does the same skills at compulsory but at voluntary levels they can look very different depending on what skills they have.

I like the way that BG explain it in their technical update.
Compulsories = mastery of basics
Voluntaries = development of FIG content

The info on Vol 4 says:
Level 4 – Minimum age 9 years (for gymnasts who have passed Compulsory 4 in the same year)

The info on Vol 3 says:
Level 3 - Minimum age 10 years (for gymnasts who have passed Compulsory 3 in the same year)

The info I can find on Vol 2 says:
Level 2 - 11 years minimum. For gymnasts who have passed Compulsory 3 in the previous year. For progression to British Championships, gymnasts must have passed Compulsory 2 & achieved a minimum score at Voluntary 2 in the same year. Score TBC.

That to me implies that you can do Vol 2 even if you didn't pass comp 2 earlier in the year. But then the next year you would redo comp 2 and then do vol 2 hoping to pass both in the same year.

What would happen if you passed Comp 2, but did badly at Vol 2? Would you have to redo Comp 2 the next year before redoing Vol 2?

I don't have a gymnast at this level, I just like to understand the rules! All help appreciated.

Didn't realise compulsory 1 has been scrapped - makes sense after last year

On another note, my daughter mentioned that the bar height had been raised for all gymnasts effective immediately - is this correct?

Didn't realise compulsory 1 has been scrapped - makes sense after last year

On another note, my daughter mentioned that the bar height had been raised for all gymnasts effective immediately - is this correct?

I’m not certain for sure that Compulsory One has been permanently scrapped. I recently logged into British Gymnasts online Academy recently to view the Women’s Artistic Gymnastics Resources and noticed that Compulsory One content and videos are available.

70E5CA28-3F65-4349-B18A-9392D7A14A25.jpeg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back