adult competions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

katy

Gymnast/Coach
aau has a ladies division. a bunch of us did the jr. olympics in july and had so much fun.
every year it is in a different state. this year Des Moines, IA July 27 - August 8, 2009.

they are very lenient with us old ladies. because it is hard to find meets, we don't have to qualify for the jr. olympics or nationals. we can pick and choose which event/events we want to compete and we can wear form fitting shorts.

i just found a list of other meets, but you would have to call and make sure that you can compete. AAU Sports - Index
when you register with aau, then you are covered by their insurance for meets.

aau gymnasitcs AAU - Gymnastics

aau has a ladies division. a bunch of us did the jr. olympics in july and had so much fun.
every year it is in a different state. this year Des Moines, IA July 27 - August 8, 2009.

they are very lenient with us old ladies. because it is hard to find meets, we don't have to qualify for the jr. olympics or nationals. we can pick and choose which event/events we want to compete and we can wear form fitting shorts.

i just found a list of other meets, but you would have to call and make sure that you can compete. AAU Sports - Index

Boo there's no meets in my area, except one over thanksgiving that's only for 16 and under. All the ones that already happened were 16 and under too, how lame!! It's annoying not being able to find meets here, there's just nothing. Actually of all the meets listed on that page all were 18 and under (or younger than 18 & under) except districts and state in Florida. :(

~Katy

i've been told to contact the gym hosting the aau sanctioned meet. a lot of the they will let you compete with the optional girls.
don't forget, your aau membership covers your insurance for aau meets.

Here in Australia, every 2 or 4 years we hold the Australasian Masters Games, which is ALL sports and gymnastics is included - its the only sport where at 20 years +you are classed as a Master and able to compete- only if you haven't competed your sport in 2 years.

I think its unfair that if you're an adult and you want to compete gymnastics you have to compete with and against girls anywhere from aged 10 years and up... how uncomfortable and horrible!

So I have spoken to the manager of my local gym and next year we are going to get more adult competitions going - for ex gymnasts & coaches and anyone who wants to learn!!

Im hoping in time, adult gymnastics will be recognised all over the world as much as your standard MAG and WAG training/competing =)

I wont stop until this goal is reached!

Here in NZ they have masters competition for gymnastics every two years. Masters games is held every year, but gymnastics is only included every second year. I'm going to compete in the novice division in January next year - the advanced division is based on our level 4, which is well quite hard. In novice, you can still compete RO BHS, two front handsprings in a row etc, plus flyaway off bars and kip (not that I have a hope of doing that), front handspring off beam and any cool optional mount you can come up with, so there are some challenging elements in there. It's so exciting. We have quite a few good adult programmes run throughout the country, so there's lots of places to choose to practice.:)

Its so great that adult competing is getting more popular!! Good luck! Im going to be competing in the Australian Masters Games in Feb 09!

Ours sounds alot more difficult - we compete against our age groups for example 20-29yrs compete against each other and 30-39 etc etc so Ill be in the hardest age group 20-29 and im only level 5 but ill be going up against level 10 elite ex gymnasts and such-- which sucks =(

I don't have a chance, but its once in a life-time opportunity for me - at the moment anyway, as ill be competing again next year after masters so i will be disqualified, so im going to do it for fun!

good luck in february. that sounds like so much fun. i think that aau has a february meet in ohio, but i don't think that my ankle will be ready. i could always water thing down, a lot!

That doesn't sound like fun! Whats happened to your ankle?

Im hoping it will at least be fun since there's no chance of me medalling haha!

do you have your routines ready? are you going to compete all four events?

i landed short and both feet came up near my shins. sprained both big toes, and hyper extended my achilles tendon. i never knew that so many things attach on the side of the ankle under that bump.

Thats horrible I'm sorry to hear that.

I have a floor routine... without tumbles. I dont really have a bar routine, but I plan on competing Mini Tramp, Vault, Bars & Floor - but no one really told me until it was too late (I had already signed up) about the holidays... we are on holidays until around the 17th of Jan & the comp is on Feb 22... so... im really in over my head.

Hi, I finally figured out how to join this forum. I've read about the aau junior olympics ladies division competition and am really interested in competing this year if at all possible. I'm 28 years old but in great shape and decided to start taking gymnastics again about a year ago. I'm about a level 6/7 and was wondering if the modified optionals would be good for me. I'd like to compete bars, vault & floor. Please let me know if you have any suggestions as far as preparing to compete this year and what elements are required for competition. I would greatly appreciate your input. I have not competed in over 10 years and am not sure how everything works and I am the only adult gymnasts in my area that I know interested in competing.

Thanks

i am an interested beginner. (never took or competed as a child). how low of a level can u be to compete. is there anything i can see of the adult competition from last year to give me an idea?
thanks

aw, the closest meets are like five hours away.

I wish I would have known about this, I might have signed up for the Winter Nationals in Columbus.

if you search on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. you can find some "ladies division" or "aau adult" videos. in those videos the gymnast are very good. the meet i did last year had some ladies that were amazing front tumblers and gaints on bars. there were five of us that competed from the detroit area a a team. we had some really watered down routines because of an ankle injury and lack of practice.
vault: front handspring
bars: pullover, back hip, squat on, long hang pull over, back hip, sole circle
beam: cartwheel, full turn, scale, split leap, round off dismount
floor: tumbling passes were - round off, back extension, back walkover. cartwheel, cartwheel, back walkover
the judges were really nice and were very lenient on these types of routines.
it was a lot of fun. i want to do it again, but i am going to wait until next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back