WAG Adult Gymnastics Meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am super proud of my fellow adult gymnasts in my class. This weekend they are competing Xcel Platinum. All these ladies are 30+ years old (we do not need to get specific when it comes to ages :p) and two of them haven’t completed in over 2 decades! We only practice once a week, I’m impressed what these ladies are able to pull off with so little practice time. They are amazing athletes and I’m glad I have a community to share my pride and excitement.

(The ladies were trying to convince me to complete too, but I’m a beginner gymnast with very little arm strength and I’m not sure if I am able finish a Bronze bar routine… o_O)

That's awesome! If you did ever want to compete xcel bronze, the easiest bar routine you could do would be: jump to front support, cast, back hip circle, cast away. You only need 4 A skills and jump to front support and cast away are acceptable skills at that level. Just a thought ;)

That's awesome! If you did ever want to compete xcel bronze, the easiest bar routine you could do would be: jump to front support, cast, back hip circle, cast away. You only need 4 A skills and jump to front support and cast away are acceptable skills at that level. Just a thought ;)

I didn't realize I could mount by jump to front support! (I only can do a pullover standing on a pretty tall block so I didn't think I could do a whole routine...) Anyways I think it is too late for me compete this year. If my get a good pullover I can totally complete silver next year (if I desired to. Not sure if my 30+ year old body really wants to get squeezed in a leotard.)

I didn't realize I could mount by jump to front support! (I only can do a pullover standing on a pretty tall block so I didn't think I could do a whole routine...) Anyways I think it is too late for me compete this year. If my get a good pullover I can totally complete silver next year (if I desired to. Not sure if my 30+ year old body really wants to get squeezed in a leotard.)
Good with your pullover then :) I was pretty amazed when I heard that you could compete a jump to front support must too, my former teammate competed that last year.

That was awesome.
:D
The coach in me says too many skills on beam. Cut it down some and the scores will go up.
The one with 2 cartwheels isn't getting the connection because her leg goes over 45° in between. Luckily, she does a round off into her dismount :)
Bars is just missing a B skill for both.
Loved the Pink Panther/Beat It floor routine.
They all did great!

Thanks for the support! I think they did great.

That was awesome.
:D
The coach in me says too many skills on beam. Cut it down some and the scores will go up.
The one with 2 cartwheels isn't getting the connection because her leg goes over 45° in between. Luckily, she does a round off into her dismount :)
Bars is just missing a B skill for both.
They all did great!

Our coach is a rec coach so we had to look up requirements for routines and things on our own. I can bring up these things to my girls when they compete again in October.

They all did great!

The routine she choreographed is super fun. She's a gymnast turned collegiate cheerleader and now a gymnast again. I'm super impressed with her flexibility as an adult.

Thanks for the support! I think they did great.

Our coach is a rec coach so we had to look up requirements for routines and things on our own. I can bring up these things to my girls when they compete again in October.

The routine she choreographed is super fun. She's a gymnast turned collegiate cheerleader and now a gymnast again. I'm super impressed with her flexibility as an adult.
For beam (and bars and floor), they only need 7 "real" skills... 6 A skills and 1 B skill.
Full turn
Dance series -2 skills connected AND a leap or jump with at least a 120° split
Either an acro series - connected OR a flight acro (like a round off)
A dismount.
The best plan is get on, do your skills (adding in artistry and a pose here and there) and get off.

I just watched. That was amazing. I wish I could do that. Just so cool! Go moms or adult ladies.

Do any of them have kids in the gym, or did they do gym as a child, or did any start out as an adult?

This is so awesome. Go moms!

I wish we had something like that in my area. The motivation of working towards a goal like that is more motivating than running on a treadmill [emoji4]

Go moms or adult ladies.

Do any of them have kids in the gym, or did they do gym as a child, or did any start out as an adult?

Two (Jenny and Stacy) are moms! I'm super impressed how good shape they are in after having multiple children!

We have plenty of people in our class that started only as adults. (I started at the age of 27.) However, all the ladies that competed at this meet also competed as children about 20 years ago. Two were optional level gymnasts and 1 was a gymnast turned cheerleader.

They are trying to convince me to compete at the meet in October, but I think I still need some convincing. :p

Two (Jenny and Stacy) are moms! I'm super impressed how good shape they are in after having multiple children!

We have plenty of people in our class that started only as adults. (I started at the age of 27.) However, all the ladies that competed at this meet also competed as children about 20 years ago. Two were optional level gymnasts and 1 was a gymnast turned cheerleader.

They are trying to convince me to compete at the meet in October, but I think I still need some convincing. :p
You should do it. We believe in you :)

You should do it! My husband decided two years ago (at the age of 32) that he wanted to get more serious about cheerleading. He had been taking an adult tumbling class at our DD's gym (she was doing cheer at the time) once a week and convinced his friends that owned the gym to start the gym's adult International level 6 team back up. Everyone who tried out made the team last year. My DH went from barely being able to do a cartwheel to being able to do both running front and back tucks and jumps to back tucks, in addition to unassisted partner stunts. He absolutely loved competing, I think it made him feel like he really had the skills because he could do them under pressure. Now he is working on his full. It is amazing what his now 34 year-old body is capable of. And he was NOT in very good shape when he started.

The I6 team was so popular this year that the gym owners made the decision to have try-outs and form two teams: the International 6 team (with only 12 people) and an Open 4 team (for those that did not make the I6 team). DH made the I6 team and was asked to cross-over to help the O4 team. Our bank account is going to really be feeling the strain this year of having one person in all-star cheer and another competing in gymnastics.

If you have the opportunity to compete, then I say go for it. Or you may find yourself at forty years-old wishing you had squeezed your thirty year-old body into a leotard.

@fuzi @Randomactsofcheer
WOW!! I can't believe at all the adults that have competed. I'm honestly super impressed and inspired. I would love to see videos of any adult competitions.

Okay guys...I think you have me mostly convinced. ;)
I guess part of me is a little worried I might be competing alone in my own division. I currently only have all the skills to compete in bronze and there were no adults competing at that level at the meet.

I'll definitely keep CB posted on any competitions my group (and hopefully me) participates in!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back