Members see FEWER ads

G

GymnasticsMom

Feel free to add anything if needed, I am quite bad at creating surveys:p

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics?

What is your best event?

What is your worst event?

What is your favorite event?

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish?

What is your best skill that you can do?

Do I count as an adult gymnast? I mean, I'm technically both adult and a gymnast, but I've been doing it nonstop since I was 7, and it would probably be more accurate to call me an overgrown kid gymnast.

Do I count as an adult gymnast? I mean, I'm technically both adult and a gymnast, but I've been doing it nonstop since I was 7, and it would probably be more accurate to call me an overgrown kid gymnast.

I think all the adult gymnasts are probably overgrown kids in the same way. I mean, you kinda have to be willing to act like a kid to have fun in gym, right?

In that case:

Several of my best friends in preschool, kindergarden, and first grade were gymnasts. I did gymnastics on and off for those three years, and after first grade I stuck with it and haven't looked back.

What is your best event?
Floor.

I compete floor, vault, and rings; of those three, rings is my weakest. But overall I'd say high bar or pommel horse is my weakest, which is why I don't even do those events anymore.

Changes from day to day. Either floor, vault, or rings.

Vault: Tsuk arabian double (and eventually add a half-out)
Floor: Full-in full-out, tripple back, double front full-out (or full-in).
Rings: Yamawaki, double lay full-out, tripple back, Azarian, cross to inverted cross

Vault: Layout tsuk 3/2, tsuk double-back (on a really good day)
Floor: Layout Thomas, Thomas full
Rings: Double layout, cross to maltese, straight arm straight body press handstand

Vault: Tsuk arabian double (and eventually add a half-out)
Floor: Full-in full-out, tripple back, double front full-out (or full-in).
Rings: Yamawaki, double lay full-out, tripple back, Azarian, cross to inverted cross

Vault: Layout tsuk 3/2, tsuk double-back (on a really good day)
Floor: Layout Thomas, Thomas full
Rings: Double layout, cross to maltese, straight arm straight body press handstand

*sigh* you make me feel woefully noobish. =) I should have never quit working out, after I decided to dedicate 100% of my gym time to coaching, it's been really hard to get a workout in, and I'm worse now than when I competed level 8 three years ago. and I wasn't the greatest level 8 either :p. Oh well, maybe one of these days I can find the self-discipline (and time) to start conditioning seriously again.

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? Not any one person really, I started a month after my little sister, and me, my brother, and my sister have been in the gym ever since. We saw gymnastics on TV and wanted to try it out.

What is your best event? I did/do not have a particularly strong event, when I was younger, I did really well on parallel bars, I had two 9.9's. But as I got to level 8 I became an all-around gymnast, so I stunk equally on all events :D

What is your worst event? Hmm, either h.bar or pommels

What is your favorite event? probably rings or high bar, I really wasn't very good at bar, but I enjoyed it...

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? Oh... I dunno, this is embarassing but I never could get a back layout full down, I would like to get that. Oh also a blind change.

What is your best skill that you can do? Like I noted before, I never really shone on one event, so I never had any "wow" skills, but I was particularly proud of my V-sits and pike presses on floor and p-bars. I know it's not that hard, but I had to work hard to get that, and you don't see many of those in competitions, so I felt it was kinda my thing.

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? I used to watch it on TV as a kid, I always always wanted to do gymnastics. When I was too young to start classes I's always beg my mom to take them so I could be like my sister and walk on the "Bean"

What is your best event? Beam.

What is your worst event? Floor. Maybe vault, but I haven't tried it in ages.

What is your favorite event? Bars! and Beam.

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? I have many!! But, front tuck, back tuck and layout, layout flyaway, roundoff on beam, and many more.

What is your best skill that you can do? If I'm on the good floor, I can almost do a ROBH. My best otherwise is the side handstand twist off dismount on beam.

And I have more to add...

When did you start gymnastics?
I think I was 4 or 5.

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)? 6 or 7 years.

Did you compete when you were younger? I was training with the team but didn't get to actually compete.

~Katy

It's weird thinking of myself as an adult gymnast.

My parents signed me up for classes because I kept doing cartwheels in ballet and during tee ball games.

What is your best event?
For my age, bars. In terms of skills, floor.

Vault. I don't like throwing myself at stationary objects.

Bars

Gienger and Weiler kip on bars and a 2 1/2 on floor

I guess a 1 1/2 FT or 2/1 on floor or a flyaway 2/1 off bars (haven't tried that for a long time though)

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)? 4 months

Did you compete when you were younger?
Yes, I've competed every year since I was 8. I'm probably one of the few gymnasts around who has competed during 3 8-year cycles. The compulsory music has improved a lot. :)

Ok...I'll give this a shot...

When I was a kid I LOVED watching Nadia, Olga and Tracee Talavera. From then on I would do cartwheels in the yard and use the backboard of the couch as a balance beam. I took classes here and there, but I didn't really start to get really involved with it till I was an adult watching my then 6 yr old daughter do her gym classes.

What is your best event?
Hmmm, I would have to say bars--I can do some pretty cool things for an ol' lady!

Probably vault-running full speed at stationary objects just isn't my thing. Especially after years and years of track and cross country where there may have been an occasional hay bail to hurdle but NEVER a 4 ft tall vaulting table!!

I love bars and beam. Bars because the skills are really cool and it's a great work-out and beam because I feel so graceful up there even though I am a dorky clutz!!

I desperately want to learn how to do a kip on bars. I guess because it looks so cool and effortless even though it is a pretty difficult skill to master.

The best skill I can CURRENTLY do is a back hip circle on bars. I did one today at my private lesson! I'm probably gonna be sore tommorow!!

39--that is when I started taking weekly classes and would do open gyms once or twice a week.

I added one:
What do you like best about gymnastics?
I love the fact that you are never too old for it! Even the easier skills like handstands and cartwheels give a sense of accomplishment when you learn them. It's a great sport!!

Last edited:
Since some of the other answers would make much more sense in context...

How old ARE you? (or approximately, if you prefer ;)): I'm 26

~Katy

The Olympics...ages ago. I started late, kept getting hurt and restarting.

What is your best event?

Oh, floor, without a doubt.

Bars, with no doubt.

Beam. And floor.

Honestly I'm thrilled that I can still do aeriels and tucks. But I'd love to re-learn my double.

Right now? Just an aeriel or a back tuck. I'm coming back from injury. But this should change soon.

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? My mom signed my sister and I up when I was 5 and I couldnt get enough of the gym!

What is your best event? Beam and Floor

What is your worst event? Bars!

What is your favorite event? Floor, I coach a prep op team right now I get to make all their floor routines which is a blast!

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? I would love to get my backwalkover on beam back, and back hanspring on floor back

What is your best skill that you can do? I only take the adult class for about half an hour once a week and in two weeks I got my front handspring and front tuck on floor so this week my goal is to start back tumbling again!

When did you start gymnastics? 5

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)? stop when I was 17 so its been 7 years

Did you compete when you were younger? I competed level 4 and 5 then for my high school team. I like high school better because I didnt have to do vault and bars

The current olympics :)
I also did 3-4 years of rec when I was younger, not sure why I started.

What is your best event?
er. Floor, I guess.

Never tried vault, so probably that. Other than that- UB, because I've never done them before starting about 2 months ago.

UB, sadly.

Tkatchev! Will settle for an Endo. Or giants. Kips?

ROBHS. Working on ROBHS-BHS.

When did you start gymnastics? 8

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)?
About 12 years.

Nope.

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? Not sure who in the beginning, I was just always in gymnastics.

What is your best event? Back then- floor, vault & bars were all about the same. Now- don't really have one.

What is your worst event? Beam used to be but I feel strangely drawn to it now.

What is your favorite event? Bars! Always has been, just something about just doing tap swings that makes me feel better.

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? I would love to vault just once, never have gone over the new table- I imagine you can get a pretty good block off it. I would love to do a ROBH on floor again instead of the tumble track, just have to get up the nerve.

What is your best skill that you can do? I can still do my old beam mount pretty good- it's a weird handstand thing. Can tumble decently on the tumble track.

I think I was 4.

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)? probably about 5-6 years if you count the tumbling class I tried for a month, if not about 8 years since I competed high school

Did you compete when you were younger? I did compete on a team when I was younger- quit when I hurt my knee, and then competed high school my Junior and Senior year.

Age?- I am 26 now and I just do a open gym type work out on Saturdays. Been thinking about at least one private lesson. but I'm not sure.

don't know. may parents started me in it when i was 10

What is your best event?
bars

beam - i just competed an aau meet this past summer and i felt all nervous like a little girl up on that big bad balance beam. and i fell on my full turn (ha)

does tumble track count?

kip cast handstand on bars without arching my back.

hand full on vault. clear hip handstand and gaints on bars. back handspring on beam. ro bhs full on floor.

It was reccomended by a doctor after my stress fracture healed - but now - Nastia Liukin.

What is your best event?
Floor will be again eventually

Beam...I don't train it anymore.

Floor to train & Mens High bar to watch

Round off back handspring back salt and an Arabian eventually...right this moment..a backflip on floor.

None at the moment, I am working on a Shushunova at the moment which is alot of fun.

Additional:

Im almost 20 years old and have been training almost 12 months to compete in the 2009 Australasian Masters Games.

Dunno. I started in a tumbling class in college because I saw it was offered. I did 2 years of polevaulting in HS that introduced some basic gymnastics besides some stuff at home and though martial arts. My dad was a gymnast in the Bronze age and I got into the gymnastics strength stuff in HS because I was always into BW strength at home.

What is your best event?

It probably was Floor at one point since I did tumbling a lot more because of the tumbling class and didn't get around to apparatus for quite awhile, especially Pommel. I could vault fairly well on the old horse but didn't transition well to the table, at all.

Circles. Or perhaps HB or PB. Never had any pike flexibility to do a decent basket swing and get a nice kip. I never like in-bar work on HB due to many pain shots.

Rings, it used to be floor; but too many wrist and shoulder injuries got me off the floor as it would even hurt to do basics or tumbling compared to apparatus. I like working at pommel because it's so much of a challenge.

At one time, I wanted to get a RO side summi full or double side summi. Maybe whip series to double back. Connected Pineda>Nakayama on SR or an awesome swing circle series on SR. Or flops on pommel or a cool HB routine or HS front on V or Tsuk.

Side summi on tramp? I haven't done Barani-backs in awhile ( whippet or jonah? ). Maybe front-front or ROBH-back.

No one inspired me, really. I just always liked gymnastics and I took it up on the side of ballet one day (an administrator at the dance studio was a former gymnast and she offered classes for fun).

What is your best event?
I'd say Floor. My dance background comes in handy.

Bars! :( But I am determined to get good at it!

I kind of like everything. I guess if I like an event least I'd have to say vault.

Tsukahara on Floor and Vault
Geinger and Tchatchev on Bars
Is there a name for when you do a BHS into a pullover on Beam? Well, that.

I just got back into gymnastics last month and for some reason, my aerial cartwheels came back instantly. So that.

13. But just off and on. I started taking lessons diligently last year and stuck with it until my gym closed down. And the aforementioned last month is when I found a new gym

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)?
About a year.

No. But I'd like to try it out.

Who inspired you to take up gymnastics? My mom put me in it when I was little as just another activity for me to do like skating lessons or swimming lessons, and gymnastics just stuck.

What is your best event? The last time I competed I placed best on beam (with a rolls only routine) because it's hard to have sloppy form and still stay on. I also did decently well on vault even though I don't like it very much.
Now my best event is probably floor because that's the one I've worked on the most recently.

What is your worst event? I always placed worst on floor because my form pretty is really bad.
Now it's almost a tie between bars and beam, with vault being only marginally better because I can do a decent flat-back vault over the real vault when I choose to go for it (usually under the threat of conditioning).

What is your favorite event? Now it's "floor" which is really mostly tumble track. I also love trampoline, which is what I'm doing this year.

What is the skill you eventually want to accomplish? I would love to learn a back tuck and front twisting.

What is your best skill that you can do? Probably a front layout from the trampoline onto a mat in the pit.
I also do really fast flipping front tucks on the trampoline, which is both good and bad because I always make it around with time to open before I land (I can't remember the last time I under-rotated a front tuck), but I could also be doing it really low and it would still feel fine to me.

When I was 5.

How long is the longest you went without doing gymnastics (actual training/classes)? At most 3 months over a summer when there wasn't really an appropriate group for me to train with.

Did you compete when you were younger? I did some invitational competitions in grades 6, 7, and 8, but never real competitive.

Age? - 19

The 1996 Olympic Team. I was thirteen at the time. I loved Dominique Moceanu and Shannon Miller.

What is your best event?
Beam, hands down.

When I was competing in high school I was really good on Bars, now I'm pretty awful.

Beam.

Vault: Fhs 1/5 twist, bars: Double back dismount, Beam: fhs step out round off series, Floor: A full of some sort, either front or back. I'm twisting-impaired.

hmmmmm, I can still giant. I also do a gainer off the end of the beam that's fun to do because it makes people gasp.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back